I am looking to purchase my first "nice" men's wristwatch. I work in the meteorological industry, so the GMT complication is very useful to me. I would like to stay under $2500 USD for the price, so very good+ used condition is acceptable.
1) high quality. I want the best quality timepiece I can find. I would like it to be a sort of "heirloom" gift for my 9 yr old son someday.
2) high contrast between the watch face . So I am thinking a black background is best, although white (if there is good contrast between the face and the hands/markers) is fine too.
3) a mechanical automatic wound movement. This would be my first choice by far. If not quartz would be ok if the cost/quality ratio is overwhelmingly better.
4) a display back (if it has a mechanical movement of course). Having such a beautiful piece of engineering I would like to see it working :)
5) a very "clean" face. Size-wise around 40mm. Examples of styles I like are:
Grand Seiko GMT (spring drive or no),
Seiko Alpinist GMT,
nomos zurich datum (if it only had GMT!),
armand nicolet M02 day/date (again if only GMT),
longines Conquest auto GMT
I don't care much for Rolex (although the Explorer II is ok but way expensive), nor for the Omega Seamaster or breitling GMTs (dial too cluttered).
Any advice from the list would be most appreciated. As I mentioned I would like to basically find a GMT, auto movement with display back if I can. If not perhaps (in another thread) I can ask for your help in choosing a similar piece sans the GMT function. Thank you.