Upping resale value - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Upping resale value

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Upping resale value

Those old Rolex watches that are worth so much are due to the wear and scratches so the more of those you have the better.
    JWM69 likes this.

Another thing you can do is to keep an eye on the pre-owned market and buy if the price is too good to refuse. I've actually purchased several watches recently and doubled my money when I went to resell them some months later. This is easier to do with less known brands or brands that don't hold their resale value as well as premium brands. Granted, this is NOT the norm, but great deals can be had and profits made (or at a minimum break even) if you time the resale right.
    +++++1. As a buyer and a seller, I have found if you have the patience and know what you are shopping for you can most certainly increase your initial investment if selective.
    JWM69 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Destroy all other watches of the same brand/model and have a random celebrity pose with it.

Sent from my SHW-M380W using Tapatalk
    geoffbot likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Those old Rolex watches that are worth so much are due to the wear and scratches so the more of those you have the better.
    Yes, the more old Rolex watches you have laying around the better;0)
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Economics Basic: Supply and Demand. I found it play a big part of resale pricing on WUS private sale. Sometimes you got few guys selling the same watch, your price will be competitive.
    Try to stay away from the traffic but same time you never know when other members need their cash too after your post. All part of the fun buying and selling watches. All paper work and packaging is a must.
    JWM69 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    Economics Basic: Supply and Demand. I found it play a big part of resale pricing on WUS private sale. Sometimes you got few guys selling the same watch, your price will be competitive.
    Try to stay away from the traffic but same time you never know when other members need their cash too after your post. All part of the fun buying and selling watches. All paper work and packaging is a must.
    Yes! I totally agree. Like many things in life, timing is essential. If there are others selling the same item, wait until the traffic dies down. That way you're more likely to sell it to someone who really wants one, who missed out on a previous listing and might be willing to pay a premium for it. Very prudent advice indeed!
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Got it. Soak them in peanut butter and scratch and scuff them up as best I can. Thanks for the excellent advice!

In all seriousness, I posted this question mainly because of a situation I find myself in. I bought a Longines for my wife from a reputable authorized dealer in NYC.

The dealer gave me a box that has a sticker listing a different model and serial number from the watch I got (they say it's because they have so many boxes they can't keep track of them all, and often just put watches in any random box).

The manual included doesn't list the PrimaLuna or the L595 caliber automatic movement of the watch (they say it's because Longines hasn't updated the manual yet, given the relative newness of the watch).

No diamond authenticity card was included for the little diamonds on the bezel (they say Longines sometimes does but often doesn't mail one).

It's a supposedly reputable dealer with a lot of foot traffic. Should I just trust their word and assume that a future buyer won't notice or care? (That's what they told me, basically.) Would you guys care about this stuff? Or should I not sweat the small stuff?
    Armamentarium (pun intended):
    TAG Heuer Carrera CV2017.BA0786 | Casio Databank CA53W-1 | Baume & Mercier Riviera 8670 | Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E | Timex Zone Trainer T5H911F5 | Orient "Blue Mako" CEM65005D | Hamilton American Classic JazzMaster Open Heart H32565595 | Bulova 96A102 | Oris WilliamsF1 Team Chronograph 01 679 7614 4174-07 4 24 44 | Seiko "Orange Monster" SKX781 | Breitling Professional Chronospace A7836534/F551/150A | Tissot Savonnette T83.8.450.82 | Cartier Tank Solo W5200027 | Pebble Time Steel | Swatch Color Explosion | Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick 241604 | Laco Valencia 861651 | Vostok Komandirskie K-34 2426.01 / 470612 | Omega Seamaster 212.30.44.50.01.002

Locked and loaded
    :
    N/A

RIP:
    Skagen 63LSXM

In my sights:
    Rolex, IWC, Chopard

Quote Originally Posted by rsupreme View Post
    The dealer gave me a box that has a sticker listing a different model and serial number from the watch I got (they say it's because they have so many boxes they can't keep track of them all, and often just put watches in any random box).

The manual included doesn't list the PrimaLuna or the L595 caliber automatic movement of the watch (they say it's because Longines hasn't updated the manual yet, given the relative newness of the watch).

No diamond authenticity card was included for the little diamonds on the bezel (they say Longines sometimes does but often doesn't mail one).

It's a supposedly reputable dealer with a lot of foot traffic. Should I just trust their word and assume that a future buyer won't notice or care? (That's what they told me, basically.) Would you guys care about this stuff? Or should I not sweat the small stuff?
    DO sweat the small stuff - IF the cost of the watch was substantial. $2,000+
    Otherwise, it might not be worth the hassle.
    In any case, this dealer is just BS!! He is talking out of his arse, and giving you the run around.

I can't believe... no, I guess I can. Sigh. Most people (Non-WISs) do not know or care. Worse, bother to know better.

Definitely get the right box to begin with. And the rest.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; December 9th, 2011 at 21:19.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by JWM69 View Post
    X2….keep everything that comes with the watch in good condition. I purchased a plastic storage bin with a sealable lid for the express purpose of keeping boxes, papers, extra links, etc. That way I know they will be as pristine as the day I stored them.
    Sweet Jesus I never thought of that!!! Looks like I'm going bin shopping this weekend =D

Quick update: Longines customer service was incredible and supplied me with everything I was missing, including the correct card and stickers for the box. They also said the box itself and the manual were the correct ones. Looks like I'm all set with original contents now. Huge thumbs up to Longines customer service. :)
    Armamentarium (pun intended):
    TAG Heuer Carrera CV2017.BA0786 | Casio Databank CA53W-1 | Baume & Mercier Riviera 8670 | Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E | Timex Zone Trainer T5H911F5 | Orient "Blue Mako" CEM65005D | Hamilton American Classic JazzMaster Open Heart H32565595 | Bulova 96A102 | Oris WilliamsF1 Team Chronograph 01 679 7614 4174-07 4 24 44 | Seiko "Orange Monster" SKX781 | Breitling Professional Chronospace A7836534/F551/150A | Tissot Savonnette T83.8.450.82 | Cartier Tank Solo W5200027 | Pebble Time Steel | Swatch Color Explosion | Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick 241604 | Laco Valencia 861651 | Vostok Komandirskie K-34 2426.01 / 470612 | Omega Seamaster 212.30.44.50.01.002

Locked and loaded
    :
    N/A

RIP:
    Skagen 63LSXM

In my sights:
    Rolex, IWC, Chopard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information