Upping resale value
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Upping resale value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upping resale value

I was wondering what I need to keep or do to maintain a watch's resale value. Obviously keeping the watch itself in great condition is #1, but what are some other things that play into the resale value?Is it important to include the original box, manual, warranty card, and all removed bracelet links? Or do people generally not care about that stuff at all? Should I just focus on maintaining the appearance and functioning of the watch itself? (Would be nice to free up some space in my apartment if it turns out I don't need to keep any of these boxes and stuff like that after all!)
    Armamentarium (pun intended):
    TAG Heuer Carrera CV2017.BA0786 | Casio Databank CA53W-1 | Baume & Mercier Riviera 8670 | Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E | Timex Zone Trainer T5H911F5 | Orient "Blue Mako" CEM65005D | Hamilton American Classic JazzMaster Open Heart H32565595 | Bulova 96A102 | Oris WilliamsF1 Team Chronograph 01 679 7614 4174-07 4 24 44 | Seiko "Orange Monster" SKX781 | Breitling Professional Chronospace A7836534/F551/150A | Tissot Savonnette T83.8.450.82 | Cartier Tank Solo W5200027 | Pebble Time Steel | Swatch Color Explosion | Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick 241604 | Laco Valencia 861651 | Vostok Komandirskie K-34 2426.01 / 470612 | Omega Seamaster 212.30.44.50.01.002

Locked and loaded
    :
    N/A

RIP:
    Skagen 63LSXM

In my sights:
    Rolex, IWC, Chopard

Re: Upping resale value

It depends somewhat on the value of the watch. But generally, keep the box, all papers, original receipt is nice, and extra links are important especially if your wrist is small.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Keep everything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't do any "quick sales".I am broke and need some money now thing will hurt lots watches resale value.I see lots of these on the forum.One guy does it,and if you have the same watch you may wanna sell sometime down the road.That other guy just may have set the price on your watch.
    JWM69 likes this.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    It depends somewhat on the value of the watch. But generally, keep the box, all papers, original receipt is nice, and extra links are important especially if your wrist is small.
    X2….keep everything that comes with the watch in good condition. I purchased a plastic storage bin with a sealable lid for the express purpose of keeping boxes, papers, extra links, etc. That way I know they will be as pristine as the day I stored them. You'll always get more money for a watch that is "complete".

Another thing you can do is to keep an eye on the pre-owned market and buy if the price is too good to refuse. I've actually purchased several watches recently and doubled my money when I went to resell them some months later. This is easier to do with less known brands or brands that don't hold their resale value as well as premium brands. Granted, this is NOT the norm, but great deals can be had and profits made (or at a minimum break even) if you time the resale right.
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Keep everything. I've sold off a bunch of my collection recently and I think one of the reasons I've been successful in bringing in good money for them is because I kept the box for everything that came in a box.
    JWM69 likes this.

Laughing Re: Upping resale value

Many people also post favorable reviews right before they put them on the sale forum.
    jimmycarrera likes this.

As others have said, keep everything. The original boxes, papers, warranty card (even if the warranty is expired) and of course all removed links. Someone may want to buy your watch but they have bigger wrists than you. If the links are gone so is his interest more than likely unless you are willing to take a big loss.
    JWM69 likes this.

In addition to keeping everything you need to take extra care to minimize scuffs and avoid scratches. That means storing the watch in a case on a watch pillow. And being extra careful when wearing the watch. Finally, your choice of watch will reduce the percentage depreciation hit that you take. A very nice used watch will avoid the immediate price hit when you buy new.
    JWM69 likes this.

Soak them in peanut butter also, about 2-4 weeks before you sell them. :D
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information