US Supreme Court to Consider taking on...

Thread: US Supreme Court to Consider taking on...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

US Supreme Court to Consider taking on...

the import of gray market goods.

It refers to Omega claiming its a copyright issue regarding sales of their watches at Costco.

I know a lot of people believe that watch firms feed the gray market.

Lets see some honest opinions on whats going on, and where its going...and lets the the brand bashing and rancor to a minimum.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...41137498.shtml
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Re: US Supreme Court to Consider taking on...

seems to me the swiss watch makers are trying to get control of distribution which directly affects their ability to control prices. it's a very smart move business wise as it tends to result in higher profit margins. an unanticipated(possibly) result will be even greater status for their pieces.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

interesting...do you think thats what The Swatch Group has been working on since they announced the stop of ETA movement and parts sales?
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

SWATCH group has been trying to move Omega to be on par with Rolex in status and in brand recognition by the average Joe on the street, quite a tall order given the head start Rolex has on them...
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Ultimately, all goods included, as the article points out, will suffer in volume.

I agree that eliminating the middleman to sell your product is good business (we do it in agriculture) it is done in my line of business to provide more volume at better than before prices.

This case seems to be the opposite, which of course will result in a huge drop in luxury items being sold, because that middleman won't be able to purchase the volume to resell.

The originator, however, will be able to make their item exclusive so that they can control their ADs and their ADs prices and profit margins.

To me it seems they win and the majority of us who don't have a lot of disposable income will loose out on being able to afford said goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    interesting...do you think thats what The Swatch Group has been working on since they announced the stop of ETA movement and parts sales?
    without a doubt. if economy is simplified by the formula supply=demand if you reduce distribution thus reducing supply and demand remains constant then you have in essence increased demand.
    if demand is greater than supply you can then increase the price of the commodity resulting in a increase in profit margin. with swatch it's all about $.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

The image of Rolex was created by an ad agency, the J. Walter Thompson Company in New York. Omega is now using "The only watch ever to go to the moon" to get one up on Rolex. It might work since Omega is a more accurate watch . Time will tell.

Willie the Wolf

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I disagree with the bit about the 9th circuits rulings being 'wacky'. there have been a number of statistical analysis papers on this which show that they're not, per case, overturned by SCOTUS any more than any other circuit court of appeal.

Which isn't to say that they're right about this issue. Frankly I don't like what Omega's doing one bit.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Lightbulb Re: US Supreme Court to Consider taking on...

As I understand it, a ruling in favor of Omega would have massive ramifications, for example Porsche could bar anybody but Porsche Dealers from selling their cars, even second hand.

This topic was brought up in the Omega forum under a Costco discussion.
    Will be interesting to see where it goes.
    I cannot imagine that Costco is hurting Omega's AD's any, except for the fact that they offer an unlimited return or repair option for the purchaser. The prices at Costco are so so, and the offerings are usually very limited. Some are even older models.
    My Costco has a white dialed Aqua Terra with blue markers/hands for $1999. I have been lusting after this watch for quite some time. I believe that it has been in stock for almost a year. Others have stated that these watches don't seem to sell very quickly.
    Currently Costco.com does not have a single Omega listed for sale.
    As others have guessed, this will likely be a stepping stone for Omega to go after all grey market sellers if they can convince the Supreme Court to hear the case, and somehow win.
    My question.....if the economy was doing well, would this even be an issue for them??
    In the Box:

Vintage Patek Phillippe Vintage Concord Vintage Omega Vintage Movado Sub-Sea Kingmatic
    Rolex SS Submariner Date Omega SMP Bond Black Tag Heuer 2000 Series CE1120
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic BE Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium "Mad Cow"
    Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro Ball BMW Classic BK Ball Engineer III Legend
    Rado Ceramica Multifunction Rado Sintra Jubile' Movado Eliro Accutron VX200
    Bathys 100 Fathoms Oceanus 5 Motor OCW-600 Citizen Skyhawk Titanuim
    Dievas Divergraph Pro Blue Seiko Orange,Black"Monster" Purple "Night Monster"
    Orient Orange,Yellow,Blue,Black"Mako" Orient Power Reserve CEX0R001W
    Swiss Legend Atlantis 1000m Sector 200 Pulsar PF3 Series Chrono Fossil Chrono CH-2464
    Theorema "Monte Carlo" Skeleton Alpha Omega "Bond" Homage
    Casio G-Shock DW5600C Rare Japan V case back

....and still growing with a lot of Ball's

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information