Usage of Zenith’s Caliber ZO 342 (Defy Lab)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EnderW

Thread: Usage of Zenith’s Caliber ZO 342 (Defy Lab)

Usage of Zenith’s Caliber ZO 342 (Defy Lab)

Hi guys,

I’m was very excited when Zenith unveiled their Caliber ZO 342 in the Defy Lab last year. I think that it represents the exact kind of innovation the Swiss luxury watch industry needs.
    Are you aware of any other Zenith watches or watches from sister companies?
    Do you know of other movements which to you represent high tech innovation in watches?

Best!

Re: Usage of Zenith’s Caliber ZO 342 (Defy Lab)

Take a look at Tag Heuer lineup - Mikrogirder, mikropendulum, mikrograph, Mikrotimer, etc.

Or take a peek at HYT.

And of course there is MB&F - split escapement, legacy perpetual, and others.

Innovation is plentiful. Alas, often comes at a hefty price tag.
    Hence so excited about Defy Lab - I expect once new oscillator makes it into mass market, price will be quite reasonable for this level of innovation.
    Having tried on one of 10 watches with the new movement - it is pretty damn sweet
    Name:  DSC04220.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  160.9 KBName:  IMG_2479.JPG
Size:  391.5 KBName:  IMG_2403.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  367.1 KBName:  IMG_2407.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  315.3 KBName:  DSC04248.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  119.6 KB
    dbostedo likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Take a look at Tag Heuer lineup - Mikrogirder, mikropendulum, mikrograph, Mikrotimer, etc.

Or take a peek at HYT.

And of course there is MB&F - split escapement, legacy perpetual, and others.

Innovation is plentiful. Alas, often comes at a hefty price tag.
    Hence so excited about Defy Lab - I expect once new oscillator makes it into mass market, price will be quite reasonable for this level of innovation.
    Having tried on one of 10 watches with the new movement - it is pretty damn sweet
    Name:  DSC04220.JPG
Size:  160.9 KBName:  IMG_2479.JPG
Size:  391.5 KBName:  IMG_2403.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  367.1 KBName:  IMG_2407.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  315.3 KBName:  DSC04248.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  119.6 KB
    Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are indeed several other innovative represents besides mentioned above.

For example constant force escapement from GP:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...ment-explained

There are several innovations in Ulysse Nardin Freak series.
    https://monochrome-watches.com/ulyss...w-video-price/

The latest Freak vision has also constant force escapement!
    https://www.revolution.watch/sihh-20...-freak-vision/

The issue that I have with all the other watches you guys mentioned is that I don't see a wider adoption of the specific new technologies throughout the brand or the industry.
    Am I missing the point here?
    Why do you think that is?
    Do they not want the technology to be more widely adopted?
    Is the technology just too expensive for a wider adoption?
    What about the technology in the Caliber ZO 342, do you think it will be more widely adopted?

When I heard about the Caliber ZO 342 I was hoping there would be wider adoption AND some trickle down to price points less than $10,000US, after all, it's a simpler less labor intensive build since it replaces so many parts. Interesting that it was developed with TAG Heuer. That brand, along with another much criticized brand, Hublot, have done some innovative things recently e.g. the Hublot ceramic pieces. I admire mechanical watches but some innovation as the OP stated would certainly make them of more interest beyond the hardcore WUS audience.
    I be a living timepiece, the years showing on my face and felt in my bones.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanactor View Post
    Do they not want the technology to be more widely adopted?
    Is the technology just too expensive for a wider adoption?

I would guess that it is always a huge risk to bring something new to the market, where the customers are more or less conservative about the technology in watches. Omega's Co-Axial escapement is almost only exception about a more widely used new technology. Or is there any other examples? Mass production is obviously expensive to start. I have seen quite loud resist against the Co-Axial too in watch forums, especially about early Co-Axial versions. If there is any new movements which have some problems, loud complains makes them seems to be a piece of crap. Even if there is relatively as much broken ordinary movements though. It gives easily a wrong image to the ordinary customers, which amplify image among potential customers and so on...

I hope that the Omega has been created more space to the new ideas by pushing the new escapement to the mass produced market.

Quote Originally Posted by cooma View Post
    I would guess that it is always a huge risk to bring something new to the market, where the customers are more or less conservative about the technology in watches. Omega's Co-Axial escapement is almost only exception about a more widely used new technology. Or is there any other examples? Mass production is obviously expensive to start. I have seen quite loud resist against the Co-Axial too in watch forums, especially about early Co-Axial versions. If there is any new movements which have some problems, loud complains makes them seems to be a piece of crap. Even if there is relatively as much broken ordinary movements though. It gives easily a wrong image to the ordinary customers, which amplify image among potential customers and so on...

I hope that the Omega has been created more space to the new ideas by pushing the new escapement to the mass produced market.
    There were far more issues with the coaxial 2500 series than standard movements - it was most certainly not just a case of only selection bias (wherein people read more negative things because people with negative experiences are more inclined to post).

Evidenced by the fact that Omega went from A series all the way to D and then moved away from the 2500 series altogether...
    Current Collection: Tudor Pelagos Blue, JLC Master Geographic, Seagull 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooma View Post

There were far more issues with the coaxial 2500 series than standard movements - it was most certainly not just a case of only selection bias (wherein people read more negative things because people with negative experiences are more inclined to post).

Evidenced by the fact that Omega went from A series all the way to D and then moved away from the 2500 series altogether...
    Which series are the current Omega co-axial?

What did they have to change to make the technology more reliable?