Used omega vs new tag/longines
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Used omega vs new tag/longines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used omega vs new tag/longines

I've decided to buy myself a watch for my upcoming birthday, I'm looking at around the £1500 mark(I can stretch it a bit if I need to). At that price there is a mint condition 1997 omega Seamaster automatic(recently serviced) in a local jewellers. I'm also looking at watches like the tag aquaracer or the longines legend diver. I already have one tag and having tried them all on I just can't make a decision. Any advice?

Re: Used omega vs new tag/longines

I'd go used; you're right in a price range where you can get some very nice used watches.

If you're comfortable with a private sale via the forums you can get a much better deal than buying a used watch from a jeweler.

For around your price (or a bit above), some options would be:
    Speedmaster Pro
    Seamaster (including the newer ceramic versions)
    2500 Planet Ocean
    2500 Aqua Terra
    Watchco SM300

Edit: My personal choices at that price would be:
    Speedy Pro
    "Great White" seamaster gmt
    Non-ac dial seamaster
    Watchco sm300
    Last edited by npulaski; September 25th, 2015 at 21:43.
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

Since the Omega was recently serviced and is in "mint" condition we can assume it is close to new .
    Therefore, I would ask myself 2 questions.
    1) Would I rather have a NEW Seamaster or a NEW Aquaracer or a NEW Legend Diver.
    2) Would I rather have a USED Seamaster or a USED Aquaracer or a USED legend Diver.

If one watch answered both questions that is what I would buy. If I got two different answers I would keep looking for a watch that I couldn't live without and get that one.

You can over think this by evaluating value, resale value, prestige, history, and a few other variables. If you do, the Omega would almost assuredly come out the winner. But if, deep down inside, you want one of the others then you really would be better off getting what you really want (value, resale value, prestige, history, and a few other variables be damned).
    Personal opinion; It's better to decide what you want and find one that you can afford than to decide what you can afford and buy the first or second pretty face you see.
    dbakiva likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if it's for your birthday, I would celebrate it by getting a new watch. for me, I never celebrate any important events in my life with used items. it just doesn't feel as special and memorable to me. for the brand, I'd go with Longines. classic brand and good quality for the price. the Aquaracer have received so many complaints regarding the stripped crown issue and that the service center will rip your money off in order to service it (I heard it's about $250 to fix the issue that was a design flaw to begin with).

the Aquaracer have received so many complaints regarding the stripped crown issue and that the service center will rip your money off in order to service it (I heard it's about $250 to fix the issue that was a design flaw to begin with).
    Tag's behavior on that issue was indeed absurd. But, that was only a specific model from several years ago -- it's not a factor for the Op unless he wants his new Tag to be an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by duffin123456 View Post
    if it's for your birthday, I would celebrate it by getting a new watch. for me, I never celebrate any important events in my life with used items. it just doesn't feel as special and memorable to me.
    This!

I know many folks who don't mind, but if you are buying it to mark an occasion, buy new, atleast thats my take on it. Between the Tag and Longines, its a toss up really. I love the LLD but the long lugs are a tad annoying and sit oddly on some wrists so I'd try it out.

I really like the Tag F1 auto that came out recently as I feel it looks a bit more unique, and is made very well for its price point, it falls well within your price range. It was an impulse purchase by me, but I still wear it often and really like it. Its an often overlooked line of theirs due to some funky designs in the past, but the new ones are very grown up looking and have the specs/build to compete.

Name:  WP_20150508_002_zpshkiwmhhj.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  122.3 KB
    Name:  fotor_.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by jilgiljongiljing; September 26th, 2015 at 00:22.
    coastiesquid likes this.

I would ordinarily recommend an Omega over a Tag or Longines, but I really like the heritage diver and I'm not crazy about the Seamaster.

If you are thinking of being in the game for a while, I would go for a gently used Omega, if not.....

If your budget swings a preowned an Omega Co Axial, I would opt for that.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Banned

Never owned a Seamaster, but occasionally Jomashop or some other GM dealer has deals on their ceramic models for $2,600, I would jump on that if you can afford it. If your budget is fixed I would the LLD, have one right now, and had an Aquaracer WAN2111.

Both nice, the LLD is a little classier and it doesn't have the crown issue the Tag has. Be sure and try on the LLD before buying sight unseen, because the lugs are long and if you have a small wrist it won't sit right.

P.S. I think if you are looking at the 1996 model Seamaster, i'm not sure if that has the co-axial movement or not?

I have an 8" wrist so judge the size of the LLD off of that.

Last edited by NamVet; September 26th, 2015 at 09:20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information