Using the 'Reset' (2nd) Chronograph Pusher without the Chronograph being active
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Using the 'Reset' (2nd) Chronograph Pusher without the Chronograph being active

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using the 'Reset' (2nd) Chronograph Pusher without the Chronograph being active

I recall reading something on Omega's site whilst i was watching a Speedmaster Video, that said that using the 2nd Chronograph pusher, so the one that resets the second hands to the 12 position, without the chronograph being active, may cause damage to the watch, it was in bold, "Do not use the Reset Pusher when the Chronograph is not active", something on those lines.

Now, previously, as i didn't know this, i pushed it a whole lot of times because i was fiddly and felt like a 12 year-old in a Toy store (dont we all).

So, just wanted to know, what kind of "Damage", does this really do?

Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Using the 'Reset' (2nd) Chronograph Pusher without the Chronograph being active

That's a good question...I'll be watching for an answer.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Re: Using the 'Reset' (2nd) Chronograph Pusher without the Chronograph being active

I think you're mistaking your recollection.
    The usual advice is to not press the reset whilst the chronograph is running.

The chronograph isn't designed for that to be done.
    Generally, the design is such that pressing the reset when the chronograph is running won't do anything (the button won't really want to move) unless you are pressing really hard to get it to move, in which case, you'll end up bending something like the lever that actuates the "reset".
    OrangeSport likes this.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've pressed it while the chronograph was not in operation, and it really doesn't move much at all. Can't imagine not moving much does any damage.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

We had at least two watches broken by twit pusher-players, we had to send them in while they
    just schlepped out in their own fog. From them on we wound a chrono before handing them to
    a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    I think you're mistaking your recollection.
    The usual advice is to not press the reset whilst the chronograph is running.

The chronograph isn't designed for that to be done.
    Generally, the design is such that pressing the reset when the chronograph is running won't do anything (the button won't really want to move) unless you are pressing really hard to get it to move, in which case, you'll end up bending something like the lever that actuates the "reset".
    This is pretty much what I was going to say....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    We had at least two watches broken by twit pusher-players, we had to send them in while they
    just schlepped out in their own fog. From them on we wound a chrono before handing them to
    a customer.
    I don't really understand the mechanics of a chronograph, but how would the watch being wound make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I don't really understand the mechanics of a chronograph, but how would the watch being wound make a difference?
    On some models it activates the self destruct sequence.

Consult with a watchmaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post

Regarding pushing the reset pusher while the chrono is running... In all three of my chronos, pressing the bottom pusher while the chrono is running is a lap-split type feature. Pressing it makes the hands pause, so you can record the time, and then pushing it again continues the timing from the first time you started the count, so the hands catch up to where they would have been if the bottom pusher was never pressed. Perhaps this is a difference between quartz and auto watches? All my chronos are quartz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information