Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040 Size comparison request!

Thread: Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040 Size comparison request!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040 Size comparison request!

TL;DR, looking for some pictures/opinions of this piece on ~6.25 wrist or in comparison to more common watches that I may have seen in person (SubC, Aqua Terra, etc etc.

I'm thinking of getting this piece but am concerned about the size. My wrist is around 6.25" but quite flat. I've been in the game long enough to know what design will stay in my collection or not, but never quite sure about size until I have had it for a bit. Just wondering if anyone has this piece can post some pictures of it next to other pieces that I may have seen in person before so I can make an educated guess on how it would fit on me.

I have read everything I can about this model on this forum and can't quite get the answers I am looking for. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one locally to try. I have read one member that said his deep stream 3 hander on rubber fits his 6.25" wrist with no problem. Another member stated that his 6.75" perfectly (meaning it would be too big on mine). All other references are for much bigger wrist so it's not quite applicable.

Most of the watches that I loved but ended up selling was mainly due to size. I just wanted to make the right decision and not take another hit for the same old mistake. Thanks!

Re: Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040 Size comparison request!

VC Overseas is a beautiful watch. The bracelet is a work of art. The new 3rd gen watches introduce inhouse movements and innovative strap\bracelet change system. Love everything about them... except fit on the small wrist.
    I honestly don't think they work well on 6.25" wrists. The dial itself is fine, but the base of the case wears very large and causes lugs to protrude easily.
    Tried the whole Overseas gen 3 lineup this past weekend and as much as I like everything about them, I did not find my 6.25" (6.5" on a hot day) wrists sufficiently bulky to pull it off.

Will post some pics on the wrist shortly... need to download off the camera.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Stunning watches... I tried on chrono, 3-hander, and ultra-thin. The new strap change system made it easy to change strap to bracelet and back in seconds.
    Name:  DSC07414.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  243.0 KBName:  DSC07412.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  127.3 KBName:  DSC07413.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  82.2 KBName:  DSC07411.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  143.6 KB

But despite 40-41mm diameter, the case was very big and not very comfortable on the wrist. A little better on strap than the bracelet, but in both cases it felt as if lugs were borderline overhanging. Which sucked as my Omega SMP 41mm fits quite easily. Granted I was wearing a 38mm Zenith at the time, which was the point of reference, but I found Overseas case design too large for 6.25-6.5" wrist
    Name:  DSC07410.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  160.0 KBName:  DSC07409.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  168.6 KB
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your post and pictures! This pretty much confirmed my fears. I will hold off on this since I really would hate to make the same mistake again. Only thing that really gets my attention now is the aquanaut (5167 and especially the 5164), but it is a bit over budget at the moment.

Perhaps the Vacheron Gen2 is worth a try? Avoid the Gen1, there were issues with the bracelet.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    Thank you for your post and pictures! This pretty much confirmed my fears. I will hold off on this since I really would hate to make the same mistake again. Only thing that really gets my attention now is the aquanaut (5167 and especially the 5164), but it is a bit over budget at the moment.
    AP RO Jumbo is similar aesthetically but is 39mm and hugs the wrist very nicely even on my girly 6.25". Was very comfortable to wear (while regular 3-hander AP RO was more similar to overseas bordering on too large).

At this pricepoint, I'd recommend trying them in person before making any purchase decisions.
    This is Jumbo AP RO
    Name:  DSC04322.JPG
Views: 913
Size:  211.4 KB
    Last edited by EnderW; October 19th, 2016 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    Perhaps the Vacheron Gen2 is worth a try? Avoid the Gen1, there were issues with the bracelet.

The 47040 is the gen 2, which is suppose to be 1mm larger than the gen 3 in the pictures above.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    AP RO Jumbo is similar aesthetically but is 39mm and hugs the wrist very nicely even on my girly 6.25". Was very comfortable to wear (while regular 3-hander AP RO was more similar to overseas bordering on too large).

At this pricepoint, I'd recommend trying them in person before making any purchase decisions.
    This is Jumbo AP RO
    Name:  DSC04322.JPG
Views: 913
Size:  211.4 KB
    Jumbo is above my budget range and I would pick an aquanaut over it. However I have been eyeing 15300 but haven't see any in white show up in the used market. New would be above my budget also. Thank you everyone! Prevent another flip sale due to lust and regret haha.

Even though it is listed as a 42.5mm, it wears significantly smaller in my opinion. Its thinner and the face size makes it appear smaller than it actually is. However the strap bracelet does not have a lot of flex at the lugs attachment, so may be an issue for you if you have 6.25" wrists.

Here is a size comparison to Rolex Milgauss (40mm) and IWC (42mm). Both wear bigger than the VC.

You're talking about the 2nd gen overseas, correct?

I had the Dual time white dial and the titanium bezel deep stream time only. Both wore ok on my 6.75" flat wrist, but I honestly think they will not be too comfortable for a 6.25" wrist. As others pointed out, the main reason is not the size of the watch but the lack of flexibility at the lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone. I have decided against pulling the trigger based on the responses. I very much wish this was made in 40mm. Looks like the only one that still hit all the marks for me is aquanaut but there's still considerable amount of savings required for that piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information