Valjoux 7750: bi-directional winding?

Thread: Valjoux 7750: bi-directional winding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Valjoux 7750: bi-directional winding?

Hello there. Just wondering about my 7750 Valjoux chrono. Does it wind in both directions? I have a winder that I keep it on and it has one and two-directional settings. Does anyone know when the rotor on the watch spins freely (windmilling) in counter clock-sise direction, does it actually wind the spring? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Re: Valjoux 7750: bi-directional winding?

Howdy!

The 7750 winds clockwise only...and needs about 800 TPD

The rotor swinging freely does not effect the mainspring, or movement in any way

Here is a great database on Orbita's website...you can look either by movement manufacturer, or watch brand

http://www.orbita.net/pages/17101.htm
    Last edited by Craig M; November 24th, 2009 at 20:20.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Thats what I suspected....it moves way too freely in counter clock-wise direction to be winding anything. Thanks, I will reset my winder for clock-wise only then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

not a problem!
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by kroko View Post
    Thats what I suspected....it moves way too freely in direction to be winding anything. Thanks, I will reset my winder for clock-wise only then.
    That counter clock-wise free spinning of the unusually heavy Valjoux rotor causes the notorious "Valjoux wobble" that you may have heard about... and felt.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

I sure did feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by kroko View Post
    Thats what I suspected....it moves way too freely in counter clock-wise direction to be winding anything. Thanks, I will reset my winder for clock-wise only then.
    Actually if you think about it, the rotor does not swing at all on a winder. It is basically the opposite on winder vs the wrist. The watch moves around in circles and the rotor stays in the same location on a winder. So it is not swinging "freely" as you mentioned, but it is not being wound properly as others noted. Depending on the winder and what the cycle options are as low as 650 will keep a 7750 wound IMO. But anything on the net says 800, I do not find this to be true from my experience. :)
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I've been using 650 TPD as well and wear my Multifort Auto Chrono every other day. I've had my Heiden winder for about 4 mos and it's been working...until I notes my watch stopping after 2 days on it. My next option is 900 TPD. We'll see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDTempo View Post
    I've been using 650 TPD as well and wear my Multifort Auto Chrono every other day. I've had my Heiden winder for about 4 mos and it's been working...until I notes my watch stopping after 2 days on it. My next option is 900 TPD. We'll see if that works.
    Might be your winder...Please don't take this the wrong way.
    Many of the cheaper winders don't really count the turns per day, they just use a simple timer...So in reality, it ?Per Day.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Yes some just slide by with a timer only, and guesstimate the number of actual turns, so that might be something you could check on yours to make sure it is making the actual number of revolutions you need for your watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information