Valjoux/ETA 7750 problem... such a noisy movement in the case... Loose rotor? Not wobble...

Thread: Valjoux/ETA 7750 problem... such a noisy movement in the case... Loose rotor? Not wobble...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Valjoux/ETA 7750 problem... such a noisy movement in the case... Loose rotor? Not wobble...

Ok, I've had my Hamilton Jazzmaster for a week now, and after having handle a few other Swiss Watches, I feel like this Valjoux 7750 in my watch is VERY loud. This is actually a modified 7750, called caliber H-21. Anyway, I've heard of the 7750 wobble and learnt to live with the loud whirring noise of the rotor but....

Below is a link to a video showing the noise I mean. It's not as audible as it is in real life in the video as obviously the iPhone mic cannot pick up the full extent of the noise, but you get the jist. I would definitely not ordinarily tap or flick my watch like this, but have done so for demonstration purpose.

Please turn your volume up.
    7750 movement noisy. - YouTube

When I tap the glass on the case, or the side of the case, or when I click my fingers or anything of that nature, clapping etc. I can hear what I think is the rotor scraping or moving in such a way that seems oddly noisy to me. It's almost a clunky noise, possibly not the rotor but the movement moving. I consider it odd as I've said I've handled a few Swiss Autos, and this is not something I noticed about them, but something I notice more in chinese automatics.

Anyway, What do you guys think, is this normal for the 7750, or is there something awry with my movement? I'm concerned as this is not the norm for me in Swiss Auto movements and am not sure if I need to take it to get serviced or fixed in any way.

Thank you for any informative advice!
    Last edited by BBNG; January 10th, 2014 at 05:39.

Re: Valjoux/ETA 7750 problem... such a noisy movement in the case... Loose rotor? Not wobble...

my jazzmaster makes that noise too when tapped like that
    I think it's just fine.

Re: Valjoux/ETA 7750 problem... such a noisy movement in the case... Loose rotor? Not wobble...

The 7750 is not known for its refinement. The undirectional nature coupled with a heavy rotor creates the wobble, the whirring noise (in the non winding direction) and it's relatively prone to the rotor coming loose and scraping. I couldn't really hear it in your video, but if it's only under a shock, I wouldn't worry much about it, and at any rate, if the rotor were spinning it probably wouldn't do that anyway. If you hear/feel it scraping continuously, then it probably is time for some work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I have the H31 version of the 7750 in my Pan Europ, and it makes exactly the same noise when I tap it. I've never noticed it before because I've never tapped the watch like you are in the video, but the noise is the same.

While I don't have the Hammy version of the 7750 to compare it to the 7750 in general has got a reputation as a noisy little so and so. If it's any help I'm currently wearing an SW200-1 that's as quiet as a proverbial mouse but when I tap it the rotor makes a noise like your Hammy in the vid.

Quote Originally Posted by BBNG View Post
    Please turn your volume up.
    7750 movement noisy. - YouTube
    I got two Hamilton 7750 at home and they make the same noise when tapped. But at least is nowhere near the sound of that Parnis in your other video, now that's a proper scraping rotor

I love the feeling of my Pan Europ when that thing wobbles.

I have a Baume & Mercier with 7750 that is very noisy, but the Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono (H21 movement) I got yesterday with the 7750 has no noise that I have noticed. I'm curious as to why. Anyone?

Hmmm i've owned two sinn chronos with 7750 but there's no scraping sound at all... also seems like sinn 7750 rotors spin a lot more freely&fast compared to my h21.... i wonder why

This exact thing happens with my Junghans Meister Chronoscope and I was worried it was an issue with my particular watch. It feels good to know it's a by-product of the movements itself, but really bad that it's a by-product of the movement itself. I was hoping it was a problem and I'd get it fixed to remove this tapping noise. Hey-ho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information