Is the value of your watch tied to the price you paid for it?

Thread: Is the value of your watch tied to the price you paid for it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is the value of your watch tied to the price you paid for it?

Hey-ho.

Noticed that there are basically two kinds of people - those who want to get stuff A for as low a price as possible no matter what as long as it is A, and then there are people who feel that buying a 5k$ watch for 999.99 will make them think of it as a 999.99 $ watch.

So, wanted to throw the question out here, do you value your watches based on their retail price or the price you paid for it? If you get a watch with, say, 50% discount, will it make you always think of it as a "discounter"? (Obviously, this doesn't include sentimental & gift watches, their value is entirely emotion-based)..

Re: Is the value of your watch tied to the price you paid for it?

value of the watch is what it can be sold on used market like ebay.
    KOBOLD x 4, ROLEX , Corum, concord im

i love this kind of question.

yes. first, cost is not vs with value. in my marketing text book there's summarized theory that cost is a price [can be money, time, physocological, etc] that we pay to achieve benefit, not value. while quality stands for concrete measurement such as material, accuracy, enginnering, etc. and value measures prestige, brand recognition, and our experience as when we use the product.

quality can be/oftenly measured by scale, universal, objective, scientific, for example; accuracy, material hardness, crystal purity, product reliabilty under extreme condition. each scale represent one level, and different level clearly reveal different result. if i made 1-10 scale diamond clarity, which 1 worst and 10 best, you can argue 2 is more qualified than 3 because we can see the difference by observing, oftenly with naked eyes.

value can't be measured by scale, individual or at least particular group, subjective, unscientific, for example; brand perceived, prestige, brand experience. for example, me myself honestly state that i have far more experince and perceived with TAG brand despite Seiko. not because Seiko has lower quality, but because TAG gives their customer more clear and higher branding postion. they do that in a way such as assign ambassador. once again, it doesn't state any little thing about quality but value, but it's state brand experience, which differ individually.

so Yes, the price i pay is equal to the value i seek but NOt the quality i oftenly expect.

regards,
    Ryan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

My watches hold no monetary value to me. I don't see a 10k dollar watch purchased at 7k for either value. A watch to me is nothing more then a an accessory.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Value can and must exceed cost. But value to me in this hobby is the intangible, the joy each watch brings to the party which is my modest collection.

Its a bit pointless getting into discussions about economic utility. I just try to maximise my first statement.

But to the OPs question - If i pay $500 for a $1000 watch, to me its still a $1000 watch. Thats its replacement value if I drop it off the balcony whilst trying to paint the roof.

Banned

I don't think value is a big consideration when buying any luxury item. If you're into cars, you'll pay $50,000 or more for a "better" vehicle. If you're not, you'll wonder why some fool blew all that cash when a $15,000 car gets you where you're going just fine - and probably gets better gas mileage and costs less to insure. Spending $1000 or more on custom clubs is inane to somebody that doesn't golf. "Value" may not be exactly the correct term - it's more a matter of the item being worth your money, and that's individually subjective.

If I get, let's say, a $5000 watch for only $1000 then everytime I look at it on my wrist I will be reminded of what a great deal I got!

It will still be a $5000 watch to me, it will just make me happier knowing that I got it at 1/5th of it's actual price.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Assuming it's real and not stolen of course, getting a discount on a relatively expensive watch doesn't cheapen it in my opinion.

Breitling Headwind (blue, brushed on Pilot bracelet)
    Omega
    Seamaster Professional Bond (black)
    Tag Heuer Lewis Hamilton Aquaracer Calibre S (#3383/3500)
    Tag Heuer Formula 1 (white dial)
    Hamilton Field Automatic (42mm, leather)
    Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 (2-tone)
    Fossil Speedway Chrono (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Hey-ho.

Noticed that there are basically two kinds of people - those who want to get stuff A for as low a price as possible no matter what as long as it is A, and then there are people who feel that buying a 5k$ watch for 999.99 will make them think of it as a 999.99 $ watch.

So, wanted to throw the question out here, do you value your watches based on their retail price or the price you paid for it? If you get a watch with, say, 50% discount, will it make you always think of it as a "discounter"? (Obviously, this doesn't include sentimental & gift watches, their value is entirely emotion-based)..
    I tend to look for the best price possible from a reputable dealer. As a consequence I pass up some really good deals from some dealers whose reputation is less than sterling.

However, once I have the watch the price I paid becomes much less important. Once in my hands I value a watch as something to be enjoyed, shared and worn. If I got a great deal on a Seiko 4S15 that discount would in no way diminish the value of that watch.

The historic price paid by me or anyone else for a watch bears little relationship to the current market price. What you paid at one time is irrelevant to what it might bring now. As others said Ebay is probably the best single indicator of the current real world value or watches and a lot of other goods.

Well to me, I see watches with two prices: its real price and MSRP/suggested retail. By real price, I mean prices you would normally find on the internet. For example, a Seiko Monster is $400+ at an AD, but around $160 online. I do not value the watch as a $400 watch, but as a $160 watch. If I can get it cheaper than $160, I'd still value it as a $160 watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information