VC Overseas Chronograph vs Rolex Daytona
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VC Overseas Chronograph vs Rolex Daytona

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VC Overseas Chronograph vs Rolex Daytona

Hey Guys,

As someone who has just recently started looking into the realm of high-end watches and looking for opinions on my two choices.

My relationship with drooling over the VCO has been on and off for the past few weeks and then there's the Rolex - hard, rugged and able to handle any condition. I think that VCO chronograph is perhaps just as good or as some might say even better than the daytona. Obviously, it goes without saying that I won't be going wrong with either of those two.

So, i'm here looking for some opinions on what you guys think about this.

If I recall correctly, the new VCO chrono is $30k plus. It’s in a different league from the Daytona. I still, however, like VC a little bit more.

Of course, I have asked opinions from people with much greater horology history than me, and some have said that no way would they knock a Daytona but VCO chrono is completely different level...but it's better to buy a pre-owned VC. I would also like to hear some thoughts about that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Daytona market is insane right now. Best to stay away from them until things cool down.

The VC Overseas is one of the best watches in its class, and, IMO, it's likely to become a future classic. But, yes, buying preowned will save you a lot of cash.

Re: VC Overseas Chronograph vs Rolex Daytona

I am not a fan of the looks of the VCO but I will say the new chronograph is the least offensive yet (not including the ref 222 which is actually good looking).

If you fast forward 10 years they Daytona will likely be worth as much now (or possibly more) than the price you would pay today (assuming you could get a stainless one at retail price). The VC would likely be worth less than the Daytona in 10 years and it will have been more expensive to maintain and be worse condition.

I rather have a Daytona and a nice simple VC dress watch than a VCO.

If you look at the big three's sports watches the AP RO, the PP Nautilus, and the VC Overseas you will see that the VCO has the worst resale value and has not maintain its original look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    If you look at the big three's sports watches the AP RO, the PP Nautilus, and the VC Overseas you will see that the VCO has the worst resale value and has not maintain its original look.
    That's what makes it a good buy pre-owned, and I'd argue that it's better-built than the PP Nautilus.

Speculating about the future value of watches is a fool's game, but it's true that VC does not currently have the cachet that AP or PP or Rolex do. But I think the Overseas is growing in popularity, and my best guess is that it'll hit a point where it comes to be seen as a classic.

That it doesn't look much like the original Overseas (which was not an especially attractive watch) is neither here nor there.

The Overseas has never interested me. I don’t get the bezel with all it little nooks and corners to accumulate oils, dirt and old man funk. I think I’d spend as much time cleaning it as wearing it. And it’s not that great looking either.

On the other hand, the Daytona looks awesome, fits me perfectly and is robust enough to be a daily wearer. There’s no contest in my opinion.

Oh, but the Daytona is also many thousands less expensive!!!! That’s a slam dunk for the Daytona. YMMV

I feel I’ve got to cheer for the home team and say Daytona (it’s the one I would have gone for anyway).

Street prices are around 23-24k for the VC, and $17-18k for the Daytona. At that price, VC. Any day, every day.

Resale value should never drive purchases in this price range, IMO. Only spend this kind of money for the watch that you really want, not the watch that other people want.
    Last edited by vkalia; May 9th, 2018 at 20:54.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

I tried on a VC overseas the other day and was very underwhelmed. I would go dor the Daytona as I think it’ll have better value in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Sands View Post
    That's what makes it a good buy pre-owned, and I'd argue that it's better-built than the PP Nautilus.

Speculating about the future value of watches is a fool's game, but it's true that VC does not currently have the cachet that AP or PP or Rolex do. But I think the Overseas is growing in popularity, and my best guess is that it'll hit a point where it comes to be seen as a classic.

That it doesn't look much like the original Overseas (which was not an especially attractive watch) is neither here nor there.
    What makes you say it's better built than a Nautilus?

I think there is enough data to make some inferences about which of these two watches will likely hold their value better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    What makes you say it's better built than a Nautilus?
    The Overseas has a much better bracelet, for one thing. Better WR for another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information