Versatile Daily Wear Sports Watches: Alternatives to Rolex Submariner?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Versatile Daily Wear Sports Watches: Alternatives to Rolex Submariner?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Versatile Daily Wear Sports Watches: Alternatives to Rolex Submariner?

So, we've been having a lively discussion about the appeal of Rolexes, and whether they're overpriced on another thread, and how there were comparable watches in terms of quality, robustness, and distinctiveness of the movement that could be had for less money.

Anyhow, it's too late for me, since I've apparently drank the Kool-Aid and bought myself one of the new Rolex ceramic Submariner (No Date), but as a public service, I figured it might be interesting to see which specific alternatives people hand in mind that were sufficiently robust and versatile for daily wear.

Some criteria which come to mind to focus the discussion:

1. In the sub $10K price range new.

2. 38mm-42mm in size.

3. At least 100m in water resistance.

4. Metal bracelet.

5. Versatile - suitable for both a day at work (in a suit), and in a more casual setting.

6. In-house or highly modified out-sourced movement, ideally with a free-sprung balance.

To get things started, some obvious alternatives include the Glashutte Original Sports Evolution Chronograph or Panorama Date, Omega Planet Ocean 42mm, Omega Aqua Terra, and from Rolex, the Explorer I/II, and GMT IIC.

I should note that I did consider all the options above, with the exception of the Glashutte Originals, and I have my reasons for going with the new Submariner No Date, which I would be happy to share once the discussions get rolling.
    Last edited by mleok; September 2nd, 2012 at 00:13.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Re: Versatile Daily Wear Sports Watches: Alternatives to Rolex Submariner?

LindeWerdelin
    CitizenM likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Within Rolex I'd much much rather have an Explorer 1 or 2. Maybe something from JLC.
    CitizenM likes this.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This thread pertains to my interests. Am going through the same troubles as you right now for my first watch beyond a Seiko. This stuff is oddly addictive, and for no darn good reason.

A few grand seikos in particular the divers.

Seiko Marinemaster 300m also
    CitizenM and Biggles3 like this.

Something from the JLC sports line.
    Caveat lector

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ceramic

Should Read
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ceramic XV Watch Review

Name:  Ball-Ceramic-XV-watch-13.jpg
Views: 6018
Size:  93.1 KB
    Name:  Ball-Ceramic-XV-lume.jpg
Views: 6201
Size:  17.9 KB
    Last edited by Sniper 55; September 2nd, 2012 at 06:17.

Banned

Something from Sinn maybe? Way below your budget, but then you can afford one more, zhigh End piece too for more dressy/ casual occasions!

opt

Well I could go with Turdor Heritage Black Bay or Pelagos...

Then there is Breitling Superocean Heritage 42mm.

They are all much below the budget but I think they are great watches...

By the way, Panerai has Luminor Marina Automatic models which are 40mm and Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic models which are 42mm.
    Last edited by opt; September 2nd, 2012 at 03:22.
    bhall41 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    So, we've been having a lively discussion about the appeal of Rolexes, and whether they're overpriced on another thread, and how there were comparable watches in terms of quality, robustness, and distinctiveness of the movement that could be had for less money.

Anyhow, it's too late for me, since I've apparently drank the Kool-Aid and bought myself one of the new Rolex ceramic Submariner (No Date), but as a public service, I figured it might be interesting to see which specific alternatives people hand in mind that were sufficiently robust and versatile for daily wear.

Some criteria which come to mind to focus the discussion:

1. In the sub $10K price range new.

2. 38mm-42mm in size.

3. At least 100m in water resistance.

4. Metal bracelet.

5. Versatile - suitable for both a day at work (in a suit), and in a more casual setting.

6. In-house or highly modified out-sourced movement, ideally with a free-sprung balance.

To get things started, some obvious alternatives include the Glashutte Original Sports Evolution Chronograph or Panorama Date, Omega Planet Ocean 42mm, Omega Aqua Terra, and from Rolex, the Explorer I/II, and GMT IIC.

I should note that I did consider all the options above, with the exception of the Glashutte Originals, and I have my reasons for going with the new Submariner No Date, which I would be happy to share once the discussions get rolling.
    An odd thread indeed.
    You're obviously not a noob as indicated by your signature.
    You recently spent large money on a quality, all purpose, sports watch that will retain value (relatively) better than most brands.
    Now you want to second guess yourself with the opinions of strangers on the internet?
    I think you did fine but knock yourself out my friend.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information