Versatility advice needed - Omega Seamaster PO XL vs Panerai Luminor
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Versatility advice needed - Omega Seamaster PO XL vs Panerai Luminor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi guys,

Need some help here from people who have owned both watches + the Omega PO XL and the Panerai Luminor.

I do currently own the PO, like it a lot, but it seems to be somewhat limited - I seem to only wear it with casual clothing. Every time I put on a collared shirt and a jacket I tend to go with my dressy watch or my Speedie Pro (AWESOME watch) with a nice leather strap, the PO seems a bit out of place with a jacket.

I am under the impression that a Panerai is more versatile, can be worn at leisure or with a jacket.

I am asking for your help not to compare brands, but versatility only. Any insight on how you wear yours is appreciated.

Cheers,

Vsevolod

Re: Versatility advice needed - Omega Seamaster PO XL vs Panerai Luminor

I would say SOME Luminors are more versatile some not so much, Are we talking about something like a PAM 111 or a PAM 382?

If you want the really versatile Panerai look into the Radiomirs, the 512 may be the most versatile Panerai made. The right Panerai can be dressed up or down a lot with straps, though true for most watches.

In the end the PO XL isn't a very versatile watch coming from a guy with 3 POs.
    Vsevolod and WatchNRolla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    I would say SOME Luminors are more versatile some not so much, Are we talking about something like a PAM 111 or a PAM 382?

If you want the really versatile Panerai look into the Radiomirs, the 512 may be the most versatile Panerai made. The right Panerai can be dressed up or down a lot with straps, though true for most watches.

In the end the PO XL isn't a very versatile watch coming from a guy with 3 POs.
    Ya, I agree. If you want something dressy from Panerai, you gotta go with the Rad. They are thinner and they fit nicely under the cuff. Lum's are very casual looking because of the size and crown protector, although they can be dressed up with a more formal strap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you gentlemen for insights - keep 'em coming.

I have zero attraction to Radiomirs.

I was looking at Luminors with the 8 day power reserve - PAM 510 possibly. As an alternative the GMT - PAM351

Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster PO XL 8500
    Rolex 16760 "Fat Lady"
    Maurice Lacroix Pontos RDM
    Seiko 7N7479
    Strela
    Last edited by Vsevolod; October 24th, 2014 at 00:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsevolod View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for insights - keep 'em coming.

I have zero attraction to Radiomirs.

I was looking at Luminors with the 8 day power reserve - PAM 510 possibly. As an alternative the GMT - PAM351

Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster PO XL 8500
    Rolex 16760 "Fat Lady"
    Maurice Lacroix Pontos RDM
    Seiko 7N7479
    Strela
    The 510 is basically a 111 with the p.5000 movement. I have the 111 and the 563 and 564 the latter have the p.5000 and are white/SS and brown/Ti. The 510 is one of the more versatile Luminors, the 351 is not a GMT it is a Luminor 1950 with the automatic p.9000 movement with a 3 day reserve. Maybe you meant the 531 which is a GMT with the automatic p.9003 movement and 3 days of PR. Whether you meant 351 or 531 I think the 510 is more versatile and can be more specific if I know the other watch.
    Vsevolod likes this.

I abhor Panerai. Yet in this situation I would have to side with it. I don't like divers either, though I feel they are quite versatile in the sense that they can fit a rather wide spectrum of wardrobe. However, they do not fit for dress unless you have delusions of Sean Connery or Daniel Craig.

I will say a Speedmaster isn't all that dressy either, so you may be able to tolerate a Seamaster that isn't so brightly colored.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

I can't think of anything remotely versatile about Panerai. It is a tool-looking watch designed for casual clothing and situations. Yes, the Planet Ocean is a dive watch but you could wear with a tie if it is on a leather strap.

-hayday
    inhaus likes this.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I can't think of anything remotely versatile about Panerai. It is a tool-looking watch designed for casual clothing and situations. Yes, the Planet Ocean is a dive watch but you could wear with a tie if it is on a leather strap.
    If you feel comfortable wearing a 45mm Planet Ocean with a tie, I don't see why a Panerai on a nice alligator strap would be any less appropriate. The crown guard is perhaps somewhat prominent, but it doesn't have an external rotating bezel, and it has a very clean dial, which counts for something.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post

-hayday
    So you maintain a PO XL at 45mm, 16.5mm thick and with an external bezel is more "dressy" than for example the 512 below at 42mm and 13mm thickness?

Name:  1553656d1404699135-pam-392-vs-pam-512-panerai-pam512.png
Views: 589
Size:  232.0 KB

The problem for me is you simply say the brand is not versatile which usually indicates not being fully familiar with the brand, not an issue since I don't know the Hublot catalog every well at all and it probably is a result of similar feelings. There are Panerai such as the 382 bronze submersible at 47mm and gosh awful thick that are by no means dressy but the fixed lug Radiomirs on the right strap do dressy reasonably well, far more than dive watches and many other types.
    Last edited by ilitig8; October 24th, 2014 at 02:51.
    WatchNRolla likes this.

PO is way more versatile, panerai is a one trick pony. I would take a look at Breitling soh in black non chrono (my avatar) its the only true dive watch ive seen that can double as a dress watch with no problem. Definitely thin enough to go under cuffs too.
    JPfeuffer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information