Very Cool Find Over the Holidays - Grandfather's Old Pocket Watch from Army
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GrantHWorth

Thread: Very Cool Find Over the Holidays - Grandfather's Old Pocket Watch from Army

Very Cool Find Over the Holidays - Grandfather's Old Pocket Watch from Army

As I have recently gained an understanding and appreciation for timepieces, you can imagine my excitement to find this in a box full of my late grandfather's old army keepsakes.

It is a Westclox "Pocket Ben" (Made in U.S.A) that definitely has had its fair share of usage. After my brief research, I believe it to have been manufactured in the 1960s or 1970s. I'm sure someone here could narrow it down much farther than that though.

Cracked crystal

Dented caseback

Very large dome on this one. It appears to have been disrupted at one time and sits a bit off kilter.

My favorite feature. It appears as though my grandfather made his own lanyard for this. I believe this is a tie cord from an army duffel bag, perhaps? Check out the copper wire banding on the knot.

50 mm case diameter. I'm not sure how that compares to other older pocket watches but it seems very large to me.

One for the artsy folks among us.

Thanks for looking.

-Grant
    Last edited by GrantHWorth; January 4th, 2013 at 07:20.
    DragonDan and maguirejp like this.

Re: Very Cool Find Over the Holidays - Grandfather's Old Pocket Watch from Army

Congratulations, it's always nice to find a timepiece connected to a close family member. I would have the movement cleaned and regulated and never touch the exterior wear and tear. That shows its history.
    Caveat lector

Banned

I find it odd that your grand dad had a pocket watch as late as the 60's or even 70's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, it very well could be older than that. I'm still unsure of the best method of dating this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantHWorth View Post
    Well, it very well could be older than that. I'm still unsure of the best method of dating this thing.
    Try a post in the vintage forum. It would help to show the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Try a post in the vintage forum. It would help to show the movement.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Just started that thread here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...ml#post5819988

Thread Information