Victorinox Infantry Mechanical or Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Victorinox Infantry Mechanical or Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Victorinox Infantry Mechanical or Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm

Hello everyone,

I joined this forum to learn more about watches. I gotta say, as I began to discover the mechanism behind watches, I can't help but to appreciate more and more about the workmanship of watchmaking!!

I was wondering if you gents could help me decide on which one of these two watches I should purchase...

Victorinox Infantry Mechanical #24695

Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm # H70455733

Things that are important for me (In order):
    1) Accuracy
    2) Reliability/Longevity of the watch
    3) Durability
    4) Long-lasting lume over brightness

It's so difficult to decide...

If anyone could give me ANY info/secrets/myths/mysteries/magic on any of these watches... I'd really appreciate it..!!

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Re: Victorinox Infantry Mechanical or Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm

I have the VSA, its a very attractive watch in person. I like both, but I think more people will recommend the Hamilton.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Inactive

although the auto's are nice, try and find a handwind version of these watches.

the hamilton can be got with a 2804, but its solid back, the one you show is exhibition but with a big but quite pretty rotor in the way lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Sean

Both watches have ETA movements in - the VSA a 2836 and the Hamilton a 2824. I have watches with both movements and they're pretty much as accurate, durable and reliable as each other. There are differences in the case design it's true, but points 1, 2 and 3 are a draw in by book between the two - they're both sapphire crystal, WR to 100m etc. The VSA has a day, which is nice.

I can't comment on the lume but I'd pick the Hamilton on looks - the logo on the VSA unbalances the dial for me. Thought the crown on the Hammy does protrude quite a lot...

Ideally try them both on before you buy. If you can't choose then get whichever's cheaper!

Thank you for the replies...

How about the issue with no AR coating on the Hamilton? Is it bothersome?

Name:  18012.jpg
Views: 7450
Size:  34.0 KB

I bought the 24695 a few weeks ago. I like the looks of the Khaki better than the SA but I wanted a watch with a day display, didn't like the looks of the Khaki King at all. If the Khaki came in titanium at the 38mm size I would have probably gone for it, but 42 is just too big for my wrist. I also like that the 24695 has crown guards. The polished finish scratches just looking at it (only the Khaki's bezel is polished, the whole 24695 case is). After a couple days I bought a green Scotchbrite and now I have a brushed finish, which looks pretty good and is really easy to clean up small scratches. As far as accuracy, I've adjusted the regulator screw 3 times. When I bought it the watch was 7 seconds fast per day, the last time I synced it was about 3 weeks ago and it's currently running 13 seconds slow - I'm losing less than 1 second/day.
    That Luminox looks good, I would have certainly considered that had I known it was out there.
    Last edited by chesthing; September 3rd, 2012 at 18:51.
    Kratsmoose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chesthing View Post
    I bought the 24695 a few weeks ago. I like the looks of the Khaki better than the SA but I wanted a watch with a day display, didn't like the looks of the Khaki King at all. If the Khaki came in titanium at the 38mm size I would have probably gone for it, but 42 is just too big for my wrist. I also like that the 24695 has crown guards. The polished finish scratches just looking at it (only the Khaki's bezel is polished, the whole 24695 case is). After a couple days I bought a green Scotchbrite and now I have a brushed finish, which looks pretty good and is really easy to clean up small scratches. As far as accuracy, I've adjusted the regulator screw 3 times. When I bought it the watch was 11 seconds fast per day, the last time I synced it was about 3 weeks ago and it's currently running 13 seconds slow - I'm losing less than 1 second/day.
    That Luminox looks good, I would have certainly considered that had I known it was out there.
    That was very helpful. Thank you.

I do like the crown guard on the SA.

Final question to you all is... Which watch would you consider it to be a "sporty/tool" watch? and one to be a "dressy/stylish" watch? Or are they so similar that you can't separate the two?
    Last edited by SeanKM; September 3rd, 2012 at 19:16.

The Khaki field, which is why I like it's looks better. The SA is a bit dressier, especially if you keep the polished finish. I'd like to see my watch with a gunmetal pvd coating, but that's very expensive and you are screwed if you scratch it.
    If I didn't care about the day display I would have bought a 38mm Khaki field.
    Last edited by chesthing; September 3rd, 2012 at 19:31.

if your 1st on the list is accuracy, why are you not getting quartz.........
    *Orient Blue Ray EM6500CD Automatic*
    *Vostok Amphibian 420059 Automatic*
    *Bulova 98B127 Marine Star Quartz*

IF YOU HAVE A COOL DIY WATCH BOX PLEASE PM ME!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information