Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical... Should I?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical... Should I?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Hello,

Give me your opinion. I am more fond of manual wind watches since they are easier to maintain. One wind per day and they are good to go. I am not a watch winder guy, and resetting autos is sometimes tedious. So, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical model 241714 for daily wear. If I do this, I will sell my Hamilton Khaki Field Auto since I don't like to have watches just sitting around. I already own a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical (manual wind) that I use as my weekend beater and I love it.

I have read a little about the Victorinox, but I really don't know much about the brand. I hear it is a good watch. Is it? Talk me in, our out of what I am about to do. Your learned opinion will be appreciated!

Is that a new model? That bezel is different.

Either way, I enjoy mine and it's definitely a keeper. I would definitely tell anybody on any day of the week to consider this watch if it appeals to them. But I don't know about selling a Hamilton for one. I have not owned or handled a Hamilton, but they definitely do get high praise. I would imagine you wouldn't be disappointed or blown away going from a Hamilton to this VSA - it would probably be a very equal and parallel watch. If you want to get some variety, it would be a very solid choice for that.

One consideration to take into account would be the hit you take on depreciation when selling your Hamilton. If you feel it is worth it, I doubt you would regret it. If you get hung up on depreciation, you probably will regret and end up resenting the watch.

But, here's my white (cream) dial…

Last edited by brandon\; October 4th, 2015 at 21:12.
    omeglycine and blowfish89 like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical... Should I?

Can`t speak for that particular model but I do own an Victorinox INOX and I love it plus I plan on getting the Victorinox Maverick I think they are underrated watches so I say go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

omeglycine likes this.
    Sinn 556 I
    Steinhart OVM New
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Citizen Brycen Chronograph
    Traser H3 Officer Pro
    1924 Elgin Pocket Watch
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender
    Casio World Time
    Casio Diver

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I get what you are saying. On another thread here 111 people voted on Hamilton vs Victorinox and 59.46% preferred Hamilton, while 18.02% preferred Victorinox. However, when you factor in the other 18.02% that liked them both equally, the gap between Hamilton and Victorinox closed to only just over 23% that truly preferred the Hamilton. A non-scientific way, to be sure, of saying that the two brands are close indeed. That thread was in 2008, and many new models have been introduced since then. I wonder how it would play out today?

The Victorinox Alliance 241714 that I am considering uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, which is the same movement used in the Hamilton Khaki Field. The only difference between these two, outside of aesthetics, is that the Victorinox is a hand wind and the Khaki Field is an auto.

Interestingly, the Victorinox is a bit more expensive that then Hamilton. I am swayed by the Victorinox hand wind because as I said... I prefer hand winds. However, I would still like to hear the opinions of others. Buy the Victorinox and sell the Hamilton, or skip the Victorinox and keep the Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdis View Post
    I...The Victorinox Alliance 241714 that I am considering uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, which is the same movement used in the Hamilton Khaki Field. The only difference between these two, outside of aesthetics, is that the Victorinox is a hand wind and the Khaki Field is an auto. ...
    If they both use the same movement, how can one be hand-wind and the other auto? They both use the 2824 which as you say is auto, which can be hand wound. I think you're confusing the two terms. I wouldn't recommend hand-winding an auto regularly, especially not the 2824.

The Victorinox, while I can see the appeal is way overpriced for a bog standard ETA 2824. I think they're having a laugh with the pricing.

I believe you have your facts confused. The Victorinox that you're looking at is an automatic. You can hand-wind it, too, but like most autos it really isn't intended to be hand-wound every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
    The Victorinox, while I can see the appeal is way overpriced for a bog standard ETA 2824. I think they're having a laugh with the pricing.
    $429 on Jomashop for a Swiss auto with a very nice 5-pieces per link bracelet. How is that overpriced? MSRP is basically meaningless.
    Last edited by DarthVedder; October 4th, 2015 at 22:58.

I own VSA and Hamilton. They're close, but I prefer VSA because they look and feel more rugged. The Alliance is very nice looking and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were in your shoes.
    omeglycine likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
    I believe you have your facts confused. The Victorinox that you're looking at is an automatic. You can hand-wind it, too, but like most autos it really isn't intended to be hand-wound every day.
    Jomashop has it listed as a hand wind. Are they wrong?

Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical Anthracite Grey Stainless Steel Men's Watch 241714 - Alliance - Victorinox - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop

It has 'AUTOMATIC' printed right on the dial. And other sources verify that it's an automatic watch. So yes, it appears that Joma is incorrect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information