Victorinox won't start after battery replacement (Resolved)

Thread: Victorinox won't start after battery replacement (Resolved)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victorinox won't start after battery replacement (Resolved)

I have a Victorinox V7-10 Sub that I've owned for about 15 years. The battery died about 2 years ago and I've just gotten around to replacing it. I've had jewelers replace the battery in the past, as this is the first time I've attempted it myself. It had an energizer 371 battery in it so I purchased a 371 from Batteries +. After replacement, it will not start. Is there an AC somewhere to short against the battery? I see a silver arrow pointing to a round metal piece but that doesn't appear to be it. I appreciate any help.
    Last edited by antvinman; December 4th, 2011 at 09:48. Reason: issue resolved

Re: Victorinox won't start after battery replacement

Did the old dead battery leak? Is the polarity correct (upside down battery)? Are the terminals clean and completely free of corrosion? If those are correct, sure try shorting the battery. Also pull the crown out and push it back with battery installed.
    Last edited by John MS; December 4th, 2011 at 04:36.

1. The old battery had not leaked
    2. The positive + is facing the case back
    3. Terminals appear to be free of corrosion
    4. I've tried shorting the battery against just about every exposed metallic piece I can see with tweezers
    5. The first replacement attempt, I did not pull the crown out to install the battery. I did however on a subsequent attempt. Could I have caused damage?

Also, there is a clear plastic spacer that appears to be glued to the case back to note. It likely holds the battery in place. I have tried screwing the case back on as tightly as possible. Any other advice appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm about out of ideas that can be checked. Is the battery held in by a strap that is screwed into the Movement? If so check that the screw is tight and the non-screw end is back in it's slot. If that doesn't work take it to a good watch repair shop for a look and estimate.

Got it working!

The battery is held in by a side clip (see arrow pointing up). I don't have the right screwdrivers so I wasn't able to tighten the screws.
    What I did do was pull the crown and tried shorting at logical areas. What I am guessing finally worked (not 100% positive) was that I grounded at the area marked with a "-" (see arrow pointing left in image) and the area marked with an arrow (see arrow pointing right in image). The area marked with an arrow appears to be a button that can be pressed down. I pressed it for about 5 seconds while grounding it with the tweezers against the "-" area. That might have done the trick.

Regardless, thanks for your time and input John! I'm hoping this post will help others in the future. I didn't want to spend money on this end of value for a watch, but it was a gift from my sister years ago and I still like the way it looks.

Name:  victo1.jpg
Views: 9580
Size:  180.6 KB

Good deal. So what the the other side of your watch look like!

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Good deal. So what the the other side of your watch look like!
    Name:  victof.jpg
Views: 8735
Size:  200.1 KB

Update: sad news - when I opened up the drawer just now, i found the second hand stuttering in place and time had not been kept. Now to decide whether to have it repaired or buried

Quote Originally Posted by antvinman View Post
    Now to decide whether to have it repaired or buried
    Depends on how sentimental you are... my Victorinox was a gift from my father... the band, movement and crystal have been replaced on mine.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by dkouzou View Post
    Depends on how sentimental you are... my Victorinox was a gift from my father... the band, movement and crystal have been replaced on mine.
    I'm sentimental, perhaps enough to have it repaired or replace the movement myself. Can you point me in a direction for Victorinox replacement movements?

My watchmaker took care of it, so I don't know. If its an ETA or Ronda movement, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information