Vintage Alternative? Grail piece or Nothing!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vintage Alternative? Grail piece or Nothing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Alternative? Grail piece or Nothing!

New to the forum so hey!

I guess I fill the shoes of a prototypical newcomer in the watch world. As Iím becoming more educated on everything from movements & materials to the rich history of companies Iím now looking for some advice on my next purchase. Having now owned My SKX007 & SARB003 for some time now Iím setting my sights higher on an omega Speedmaster Professional. Pieces I buy I plan to keep...at least thatís the initial plan. In the mean time Iíve been eying an omega Seamaster 600 Cal:601. Dial is refurbished (not sure if thatís sacrilegious or hurts value) patina can be so lovely... Piece is recently serviced and all other parts are original. Buyer has quality reputation, states piece is in good working condition and tells great time. Iím wondering if a few hundred $ís is worth enjoying an omega for the time being. Is it wiser to just save it for the Speedy and get there sooner? Pictures below Any input on authenticity and maintenance with these pieces is much appreciated. Always looking to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Vintage Alternative? Grail piece or Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Chase View Post
    Iím wondering if a few hundred $ís is worth enjoying an omega for the time being. Is it wiser to just save it for the Speedy and get there sooner?
    Only you can tell..

The vintage Seamaster looks great in my opinion, but I'm not an Omega expert and can't say anything about the dial etc. However, bear in mind that these 1960s watches are tiny(!) by modern standards, 34-35mm in this case, I think. So to me it would be a clear pass, simply due to the size. It would just look ridiculously small to me.

The new dial is a nice colour but the details including indices, logo and text seem to be a bit off which detracts from the overall quality.

Yes, this will likely detract some from the resale value, but if you are planning to keep it, only you can decide if you can live with it.

These old Seamasters are classics in their own right and ones in good condition are starting to get harder to find and will likely appreciate over time.

Probably not as quickly as vintage Speedmasters are appreciating however.

The Speedmaster is a different type of watch altogether and if that is what you REALLY want, save up a little more and go for that instead of delaying your journey by buying something you don't really want as a placeholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    Time2Chase likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

mav

My advice is that if you really want the Speedmaster, focus solely on that and don't let yourself get distracted by something else.

For that Seamster, was the dial refurbished or redialed? I'm not an expert, but it seems off to me.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Welcome to the forum! I don't think there's anything wrong with picking up waypoint watch, while you save for your grail. However, as others have pointed out, you may want to avoid this particular piece based on the iffy refinishing. You can find nicer examples of vintage Seamasters in the $500-750 range without too much trouble.
    Time2Chase likes this.

Thanks for all the advice and warm welcome! Very good points to consider. I was aware the dial was on the small side but just thinking of how much smaller than my SARB033 it would be does give me a great perspective. That would be quite small! Staying on track would obviously be the fastest route and I guess sometimes we want instant gratification. There was also the price point. Something that seems too good usually is and if I was to pull the trigger on a vintage, Iíd like to do it right. That puts me in a considerably higher price point which takes me farther from my initial plan and $500 -$750 goes a long way towards that Speedy. Guess Iíll stay on track! Good pep talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Tethros View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I don't think there's anything wrong with picking up waypoint watch, while you save for your grail. However, as others have pointed out, you may want to avoid this particular piece based on the iffy refinishing. You can find nicer examples of vintage Seamasters in the $500-750 range without too much trouble.
    Thanks for the great advice and warm welcome all! Very good points to consider. I was aware the dial was on the small side but just thinking of how much smaller than my SARB033 it would be does give me a great perspective. That would be quite small! Staying on track would obviously be the fastest route and I guess sometimes we want instant gratification. There was also the price point. Something that seems too good usually is and if I was to pull the trigger on a vintage, Iíd like to do it right. That puts me in a considerably higher price point which takes me farther from my initial plan and $500 -$750 goes a long way towards that Speedy. Guess Iíll stay on track! Good pep talk!

+1 for staying on the saver's track! it'll be worth it in the end!
    Time2Chase likes this.

If it was me I’d continue saving for the Speedy rather than going for a “quick fix” which would serve to delay you reaching your ultimate goal.
    Time2Chase likes this.

Time 2 Chase: People collect or buy watches for various reasons. Some may be for looks, some for making a connection to their lives, some for the engines inside, etc. I agree with the above comments and say you should continue to search. The more I look, the more I learn. My modest and small collection is focused on all three above (looks, certain brands that connect with me and specific movements which are either legendary or really cool (ie kick**s) for certain reasons)

Not sure the price, but that dial is not worth grabbing; even if that was a Cal 602!

Time2Chase likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information