Vintage Diamaster Certina & Rado
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vintage Diamaster Certina & Rado

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage Diamaster Certina & Rado

The Diamaster, a model made by Rado for Certina in the late 70's, was a very tough watch made of a tungsten carbide alloy, a pioneer in the use of sapphire crystals, allegedly...

Here is the info: Vintage CERTINAs ¦ DS Diamaster Rado

Here's the thing:
    I found a former employee of Rado who has one of these for sale. He claims it to be "new old stock", so it hasn't been used and, as such, it is new...

I believe what he says. The pictures seem legit to me and his reputation is good. A service was performed in June (the lubricants, I assume)...

The price is quite intriguing, he was initially asking for 500usd, I lowered it to 340 but I still think it's too high...

It's not easy to see these for sale. I found only one (a used one of course) for something I found too high (but makes me think a "new" one for 340 is nice).

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

What's a fair price for something like this?
    Would you pull the trigger?

PD: I don't think the crystal is sapphire, as the cited page tells. I haven't asked him this directly, tough...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Re: Vintage Diamaster Certina & Rado

Difficult to put a price on it as they don't come up for sale all that often (in NOS condition).

Pay what you're comfortable paying. My gut feeling says 340 is a good price - but I'm speaking as someone who has a soft spot for Diastars rather than someone who knows the true value of the watch (could be higher, could be lower)
    busmatt likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Difficult to put a price on it as they don't come up for sale all that often (in NOS condition).

Pay what you're comfortable paying. My gut feeling says 340 is a good price - but I'm speaking as someone who has a soft spot for Diastars rather than someone who knows the true value of the watch (could be higher, could be lower)
    Thanks for you reply. I guess I'm also driven by my love for the Diastar's shape.

And I guess this isn't a bad price for a NOS one, plus the Certina labeled curiosity can be interesting...

Does anyone else feels this is a good deal? Does someone know what's the crystal's material?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd love to read about the history and whether the two companies were in a joint venture. Compare that Diamaster to a Rado Diastar from 1975. The tungsten carbide is stunning in person but does not photograph worth a darn.

bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 206: Gents Rado Diastar 1/E automatic, tungsten carbide, ca. 1975

Someone on this forum is a resident expert in Rado watches and may offer more insight. Does anyone remember the name?
    Last edited by John MS; July 23rd, 2015 at 20:04.

Henry Krinkle
    rfortson and busmatt like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)

And the Diastar case can photograph well - you just have to work with it rather than against it
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437671390.736056.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  205.5 KB
    danfermat likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)

Well, there were a few sapphire crystals out there in 1975, though rare. What makes me suspect that the crystal really is sapphire is that it would be such a logical fit on a tungsten watch. If the designers were indeed wanting to make a super tough watch out of "advanced materiels" the that would be the way to go.

Prices are subject to too many things to give an accurate judgement on that watch at that price, too rare in that condition. May be a tad high because the demand will likely be low and it's possible that a Rado or Certina fan who is flush with cash might part with more. I would think it's certainly in the neighborhood.

But that's conjecture on my part. What I can say with certainty is that I would pay 340.00 for that watch in a heartbeat. I collect neither of the brands mentioned but find it interesting, and seriously cool. (Really, if you don't want it. PM me - I'll take it right now, check's in an envelope waiting for an address.)
    rfortson likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better than most but still does not capture the color and finish i've seen on Diastars.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Better than most but still does not capture the color and finish i've seen on Diastars.
    John - I'm thinking that Rado would have supplied the case/bracelet and so the finish would be the same. The dial would likely be done by certina and not up to Rado standadrs, would be my guess.
    That dial just confuces me, so does the clasp.
    Last edited by Donf; July 23rd, 2015 at 21:22.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    John - I'm thinking that Rado would have supplied the case/bracelet and so the finish would be the same. The dial would likely be done by certina and not up to Rado standadrs, would be my guess.
    That dial just confuces me, so does the clasp.

John was talking about the above photograph of Tungsten case, not OP's watch. The dial would be hard to capture on photo as well because of the faceted thick crystal. What really worries me is the day date wheels are not alligned properly; can be an easy fix, or symptom of a much larger problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information