Vintage (insert make/model) vs New Omega Seamaster 300M... opinions needed

Thread: Vintage (insert make/model) vs New Omega Seamaster 300M... opinions needed

Vintage (insert make/model) vs New Omega Seamaster 300M... opinions needed

I ran a couple of basic searches but didnt find much.

As I build up the watch budget to fund the next purchase I am hoping I can get some input given the following as to which vintages would give me the best bang for buck and if it would be worth it considering if I dont go vintage I am saving towards the Omega Seamaster 300M Bond that Ive been wanting for years.

Budget:
    $350-500 would be a short-term budget
    $1,000-1,300 would be long term

I would ideally like to stay in the short term figures unless moving to the long term mindset brings that much more to my wrist.

Features:
    Must have date display
    (I find once I get smaller than a 22mm band on my wrist it looks small)
    Swiss or German make
    I'd like the brand/movement/piece itself to have as much history as possible (if that makes sense)
    Would like a display back but it isnt a must
    Ideally white gold or stainless (my wedding ring is white gold, dont know how yellow/rose would look next to it in dressy situations)

Style wise, classic and timeless. I will probably wear it casually here and there but mainly with button downs or dress occasions given the nature of the piece.

I'd like something that has that wow/sexy effect to it, ideally something I could pass down to the next generation.

Any thoughts on current the Bond vs vintage and if vintage which is appreciated.

A couple vintage pieces that caught my eye visually:

IWC Ingenieur though way beyond budget:

Longines (unknown)... though I'd want the date:

Omega Seamaster (though I dont like the magnified date window):

(images obviously borrowed)
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; January 14th, 2011 at 20:36.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco 861915 • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Re: Vintage (insert make/model) vs New Omega Seamaster 300M... opinions needed

50 views and no opinions?
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco 861915 • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishElite22 View Post
    I for one don't understand your requirements.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishElite22 View Post
    Relax! It can take a while to get opinions. Another reason you may not be getting input is that 38 - 44 mm isn't going to give you many options for vintage watches, at least not many that are cheap. All 3 of the watches you posted are 36 mm or less.

I own that longines (stainless) and I own a very similar seamaster (562, gold filled) but it doesnt have the cyclops.

The both are very nice watches and are keepers in my collection. I usually wear them when I'm trying to look nice.

They are both 36mm I think. The longines takes a 18mm band and the 562 takes a 19mm band. I dont think I paid/traded for a value of an average price of $350 for either of these.

The newer seamasters are so different anything vintage I wouldnt put them in the same purchase decisions.

I just got into vintage watches recently and I love them, but remember most vintage pieces (unless recently serviced) can cost you unforeseen expenses. However, based on your current rotation I say go for a 36mm vintage watch.

For the record I have a 7.5 inch wrist and I'm 6'1" and 250 lbs and no one has every said they look funny/small on my wrist.
    Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

v76

How about a Zenith Captain Chronometre? The case is around 38mm in diameter. Should be pieces available in good condition for $500 or thereabouts ...

(borrowed image)
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thread Information