Vintage Omega
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shameless
  • 1 Post By hayday
  • 1 Post By aardvarkbark

Thread: Vintage Omega

Vintage Omega

Hope this is in right place. I'm new to all this and after years of fascination have a very modest start with 3 watches acquired over last year a Rolex, and most recently an Oris Atrix GT and Ball Trainmaster Legend in the new year sales.

I'm now looking at a 1965 Omega Seamaster as my first foray into vintage what should I be expecting to pay?

Cheers

Re: Vintage Omega

eBay is your best friend in trying to find this answer. Congrats for the rest of the collection.

quite simply check out the model you are interested on the bay which should give you an idea of what is asked but more importantly what they actually realize -steer clear of obvious redials - know what movement is inside-depending on condition and originality prices can fluctuate ridiculously from maybe £200 to five hundred or so ,which is way too much unless its something very very special - remember a vintage might well need a service so factor that in - it may cost you the same again to service and or revigerate should it be required - -if one has a bracelet with it , remember you can always put leather on it and trade the bracelet and get a percentage of your outlay back - just a few obvious things to think about -dont be in a rush there are plenty seamasters out there
    aardvarkbark likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been in the same boat, looking at vintage (re: American made) Hamiltons and Zeniths. I also want a birth year (1970) watch, and the Seamaster is one of my top candidates. My advice is to not buy anything for a while. Search through eBay and keep track of the pieces you would like to get and see what they end up selling for. I also suggest that you post pics and links to the Omega forum and ask lots and lots of questions regarding how to tell the authenticity of the watch in question. Omegas are frequent targets for franken-watch experimentation, not to mention out-and-out fakery. Be patient and do a lot of research. It bears repeating that you should not buy the first watch you see. You want to know what you're getting, and what you're supposed to be getting, and this requires patience and due diligence. Also, do your research. And your homework. And be patient.

It can be very difficult to resist the temptation of buying something on impulse. It is also very common to see something listed at $25 and then shoot up to $300 in the final minutes of the auction. There are a lot of beautiful vintage pieces out there. Happy hunting.

-hayday

ps: don't forget to do your research
    pps: be patient
    aardvarkbark likes this.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Thanks guys the one I've seen is on eBay UK and has a few hours left and is now 228. It's the first I've seen since I started looking but only a few days so far. Looks like a dealer sale so I may just pass on this one, only every bought new before so bit wary
    Cheers

Live system data here :- http://www.reeftronics.net/bluewater/apex-status

Banned

The only thing I'd add to the good guidance already provided is (a) learn about Omega movements during that period and how to use the vintage database on Omega's website to confirm that the movement/case combination in the piece being offered is the same as originally offered by Omega; (b) never buy without clear pictures of movement and inside of caseback so you can get serial #s for exercise (a) and confirm absence of corrosion; (c) identify the frequent vintage sellers; they will probably be most interested in preserving a good reputation; look at their closed auctions to see what prices were for similar items as one you're interested in, and check their feedback of course; (d) ask a question; I tend to believe that serious sellers who want you to be happy and become a returning customer will answer all questions.
    shameless likes this.

You could also post this request in the "Pocket Watch and Vintage" section of this forum for more responses.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks I did tlhat though the responses weren't particularly helpful, I know I need to provide more information but no one has said what.

In 1965 or for that matter, at any given time, Omega might have something like 20 different variants of "Seamasters" in their catalog. This means whenever someone says they are looking at a Seamaster for sale, the problem is, even given a year of production, it is pretty much impossible for someone to give any specific feedback.

As Seamasters have been in production for well over 50 years, and models have changed from year to year and there is significant interchangeability of parts, it takes some detailed research to make sure a Seamaster is completely original and correct. As with many mid-market makes, factory service doesn't guarantee originality and correctness as factory service does not guarantee that interchangeable parts are not used when original parts are not available.

To get feedback on a Seamaster, as with most vintage watches you need to provide clear pictures of the watch dial, case, band, crown, inside of the caseback and movement. With the wide range of variants and the long timeframe of production, even if you provide the photos you may or may not be able to get good feedback from the forum on a vintage Seamaster. The information to provide valuable feedback maybe too esoteric for the forum to provide.

Unlike current watches or recent production watches where information and experience with a watch is relatively easy to come by, looking at vintage watches takes research and even with research the answers are not always clear or agreed upon with respect to what is original or correct for a specific watch from a specific production year. Many watchmakers produced relatively small quantities of variants of specific models, and makers were prone to substituting parts, and memories fade and documentation was sparse to begin with, so definitive answers can be hard to come by.

Lastly, with respect to value, with so many variants and differences in condition, originality and correctness, value is hard to generalize. A "1965 Seamaster", could easily have a value anywhere from probably $150 to $3000+. It all depends.....
    Last edited by Ray916MN; January 20th, 2014 at 09:08.

Thanks for the detailed response which is really helpful and makes me realise that I need to research more and that I know very little.
    Last edited by Bluewater; January 20th, 2014 at 16:21.

Thread Information