A Vintage Patek Philippe Christmas
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonatorg

Thread: A Vintage Patek Philippe Christmas

A Vintage Patek Philippe Christmas

Hi all -- Happy New Year!!!

So, first let me say I am pretty new to participating actively on the forum, but have been lurking around here for a while and learned a lot reading threads and even participating in discussion once in a while. I check WUS at least once a day and its truly become a part of my routine. That's why I wanted to share with all of you my latest watch - a vintage Patek Philippe Manta Ray that has been in my family for over 60 years.

I should explain that this is a heritage piece for me and a family heirloom. It was purchased by my great grand father (which I never met)and handed down to my grandfather. My grandfather passed it down to my father when he passed away and I always knew that the watch would one day be mine. But the thought of inheriting the watch always came with some sadness at the thought of losing my father, which I love and adore.

My dad knows my love for watches and has really ever owned two mechanical watches - the Patek and a Cartier Tank Francaise (I also own one of these) and he also owns a gold Must de Cartier quartz watch which he loves. He never wears either of the mechanical/autos and usually throws on his Cartier quartz. He just loves that watch for some reason.

This Christmas he surprised both my brother and I, by giving us his two mechanincal/auto watches in addition to a suit and some shoes. The Patek was given to me (I will be the fourth generation in my family that has it - it is tradition for it to be handed down to the first born son) and the Cartier Tank Francaise was given to my brother. Mind you, my brother knows that the Patek is much more valuable that the Cartier, but doesn't care -- especially since he's not that into watches, knows I'm a WIS an also knows the watch will never go up for sale as it's is a family heirloom and I will take care of it for the next generation.

I was so touched by this gift!!!! I am rarely one to get emotional, but getting this treasure was a real special moment for me - especially since my dad is alive and well and this watch can continue to have happy memories for me the rest of my days. I can wear it on special occasions and my dad can see me enjoying it for years to come. I think I would like to give this to my future son (I don't currently have children, although my brother does -- so my nephew may one day inherit this watch from me if I don't have children) in a similar way, when they can truly understand the significance of the gift and I can enjoy them wearing it, while I'm alive.

I thought some of you might want to see my Christmas gift. It's a Patek Phillipe ref 2554 from the early 50's - some people refer to this model as the "Manta Ray". The bracelet is solid gold as is the watch, but I must confess, that although the bracelet was made by Patek (it has all the Patek hallmarks) and I will certainly keep it on the watch -- I plan to wear this on a Patek brown leather strap. All gold is just too much for me. I've already ordered a Patek leather strap from my local Patek dealer as well as a Patek gold buckle for it. All photos were taken on my iPhone - so I apologize for their quality. The last photo was borrowed from the web to give you a idea of what it will look like with the Patek leather strap I just ordered. Also, I don't think the Patek box originally went with this watch (since this particular box has a built in winder and this is a mechanical watch) but its certainly also vintage and looks cool.

Anyway, here are some pics and Happy New Year:

Last edited by jonatorg; January 1st, 2011 at 22:59.
    MZhammer likes this.
    Patek Philippe Manta Ray (ref 2554); Patek Philippe Calatrava (ref 3520); A Lange & Sohne Lange 1 (ref 101.030); Franck Muller Casablanca (ref 5850); Glashutte Original Senator Navigator; Rolex SD (ref 16600); Rolex DSSD (ref 116660); Rolex Sub/no date (ref 14060); Panerai PAM 104; Cartier Tank Francaise Steel (ref W51002Q3); Cartier Tank Francaise 18K on strap (ref 2366); Cartier Tank Solo (ref W5200005); Cartier Roadster (Vegas Dial); U-Boat Classico PVD AB 4/2 (ref 5569); IWC Portuguese Chronograph Panda (ref 3714-04); IWC Spitfire Fliegeruhr (ref 3717-01); IWC Portofino (ref IW356305); Sinn 356 Fleirger; Sinn EZM7; Longines Master Collection Auto Moon Phase; Cuervo y Sobrinos Prominente Dual Time - Bronze dial; Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch EM001; MKII Stingray; Magrette Regattare Moana Pacific (450/500); Magrette Regattare Valencia; Brera Orologi Eterno Chrono; Deep Blue Master Diver 2000 PVD; Tag Heuer Link Professional 200M Scuba Diver Date; Seiko Orange Monster

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: A Vintage Patek Philippe Christmas

A beautiful watch and a wonderful story!
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Awesome watch! Congrats to you.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great watch and story.....thanks for sharing

What a great story, i hope to one day acquire a heirloom piece to pass on to my children. Congratulations and may you wear this one in good health.

-CG

congrats on the patek
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information