Vintage Rolex shop visit: Fourtane in Carmel

Thread: Vintage Rolex shop visit: Fourtane in Carmel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Rolex shop visit: Fourtane in Carmel

So we're in Carmel for a long weekend, trying to beat the Valentine's weekend rush by celebrating a week early. On my way down Ocean Ave, disappointed that Lussori moved up to Los Altos and wondering if any watch place was open, I see a sign "Estate Jewelry and Watches" or something, so we go in with some hopes of seeing something interesting.

My first impression isn't good, nothing but Rolex, lots of them for sure, but nothing but new Rolex. They seem to have practically every current model on display; the first time I've seen practically all variations of the Date-Just and Air King on display. And yet more display cases of nothing but Rolex, this shop has more Rolex's than the mega shops in Vegas. But they're all new, from the current lineup, of which I'm not a huge fan. Near the back, I see a case, half of which is Daytona's of various models with some interesting dial variations. Nice, but I'm really not that into Daytonas.

And then, I go up some stairs into the back alcove and I see a display case full of vintage: Submariners, Sea Dwellers, GMT Masters, and some non-Rolex vintage also. Noticing my sudden increase in interest, a very helpful salesperson, Jennifer, came by to help me and I spent about 20 minutes looking through some of the more interesting (to me) watches. I'll start with the one which was one of the first vintage diving watches to truly catch my eye, back when I started getting interested in watches

A true classic, an original Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, in incredible condition, all original dial and hands, bezel in amazing condition. A bit out of my price range at around 18-20k (don't remember exactly). I do remember that it was running (!) inside of the case:

Next, of definite interest to the MKII community: a gorgeous GMT-Master (no crown guard) in very very good condition. Also in amazing condition, faded aluminum bezel (I think), dial in unbelievably good condition, and small triangle GMT hand. Low 5 figures for this one also.

Next, a pair of beautiful double red Sea Dwellers. One with bracelet and one without. Didn't get any prices for these because I was too busy looking at the next watch.

Next, a beautifully well preserved 5512, pointed crown guards, all original, bezel, dial, and hands in beautiful condition. Similar price to the BP FF, if I recall.

And the pièce de résistance, a gorgeous 6538(?) small crown, in amazing condition; bezel missing the pip, but other than that hands, dial, and bezel all in very very good condition for a watch more than 60 years old. The dial in particular with some staining, but no cracking or pitting and the indices all with an amazing patina but in immaculate condition. Somewhere north of 70k if I recall.

Here it is next to my EZM1 on NATO:

Anyway, there are a few more crappy pictures in the album: fourtaine pictures by enkidu1024 - Photobucket (note I misspelled Fourtane in my album, sigh). If you're a WIS and in Carmel-by-the-Sea you must must must drop by Fourtané, Ocean Ave at Lincoln Street. I think they have a special relationship with Rolex and the watches have been very thoroughly vetted. They're on the web at FOURTANÉ, but most of the true gems seem to be in their showroom. Perhaps someday I'll pick up something from there.
    Last edited by enkidu; February 6th, 2012 at 07:45.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Wow. That place looks awesome. That's cool they let you take pictures too.

Re: Vintage Rolex shop visit: Fourtane in Carmel

I love their vintage selections, but I was a little disappointed when I started asking about getting a used 14060M with the 2 lines of text on the dial. They had never heard of it...which I found odd.

They usually don't like punk kids like myself handle the Subs, but eh the Speedy usually wins them over on that front.

Up Ocean Ave in Carmel is another little watch shop, they sell Ball and a few other odd(er) watch brands, it is right next to the pharmacy which sells all sorts of weird shaving stuff!
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We go in and visit the folks there everytime (at least once a year) we are in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Josh is a very nice guy, and quite the walking Rolex information book. They even have an in house Rolex tech for service.
    Tim
    A firm believer in - and enjoying a personal relationship with my wife.
    "Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse."Thomas Fuller

Great post, thanks. I'll have to check that place out. It's rare to find that many vintage Subs in one place.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt73 View Post
    Great post, thanks. I'll have to check that place out. It's rare to find that many vintage Subs in one place.
    Also check out Chatel while you are there, just a couple blocks away from Fourtane.
    Tim

Chatel is where I shop, bought two Breitlings and my wife's JLC there; Hugues and Jeannine are awesome and we always visit them even if were not buying, it's where I'll buy my Panerai when the time comes. Fourtane people are always nice too, there's also the one across the highway in the mall, Omega and Rolex etc. Also great people. I'm glad Lussori is gone, they were extremely rude, even when I wanted to look at an Omega while I was wearing an Omega...
    Last edited by bczolone; February 7th, 2012 at 04:44.

Thanks guys! It being Super Bowl Sunday, Chatel was closed, so we weren't able to get in. Will definitely have to drop by there the next time I'm in the area.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Lussori, they made Tourneau look real good.
    Quote Originally Posted by bczolone View Post
    Chatel is where I shop, bought two Breitlings and my wife's JLC there; Hugues and Jeannine are awesome and we always visit them even if were not buying, it's where I'll buy my Panerai when the time comes. Fourtane people are always nice too, there's also the one across the highway in the mall, Omega and Rolex etc. Also great people. I'm glad Lussori is gone, they were extremely rude, even when I wanted to look at an Omega while I was wearing an Omega...

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Lussori, they made Tourneau look real good.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information