Vintage vs. Modern
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Vintage vs. Modern

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage vs. Modern

Please forgive me if this is a repeat question but to put it simply, is it better to stay with modern watches or venture down the rabbit hole that is vintage? I had the opportunity to buy a vintage Tudor Submariner and the guy I was dealing with was nothing more than a slimy salesman. Long story short, not only did I not buy it but it kind of soured me on the whole vintage experience. Made me want to immediately go back to my original desire, a modern GMT. It got me thinking....which one is a better investment...a thirty year old watch that I know nothing about except it's reputation or a modern watch that will give me AT LEAST thirty years and I know everything about it.

Clearly, I know everyone has their favorites and there is no right or wrong to this question. I am just interested to hear who likes what and why.

Re: Vintage vs. Modern

"investment", it would be best to forget that word.

Buy the seller. It sounds like you made the right decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love vintage watches, but I also wear a bunch of modern watches as well. The thing about vintage watches, especially Rolex Submariners and or Omega Speedmasters, is that they're so valuable now that I have to be a little careful while wearing than when I first got into the hobby some thirty years ago when they didn't cost anything to acquire. Go with what appeals to you...

I’d stick to modern.
    Parts for service aren’t always available for vintage. Unless it’s a Patek Philippe. Then they’ll have it or make it for you. But you’ll pay dearly for it!
    If you decide to do vintage, there are reputable dealers to be found, like HQ Milton. I have heard great things about them, but most of their stuff is high ticket. The vintage Tudor will be among the more reasonably priced items.
    trident1970 likes this.

I also stick to modern generally unless I know exactly what I am buying or it is an affordable vintage where the monetary lose would not be great and taking a chance is not too risky.
    trident1970 and Rocket1991 like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Quote Originally Posted by trident1970 View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a repeat question but to put it simply, is it better to stay with modern watches or venture down the rabbit hole that is vintage? I had the opportunity to buy a vintage Tudor Submariner and the guy I was dealing with was nothing more than a slimy salesman. Long story short, not only did I not buy it but it kind of soured me on the whole vintage experience. Made me want to immediately go back to my original desire, a modern GMT. It got me thinking....which one is a better investment...a thirty year old watch that I know nothing about except it's reputation or a modern watch that will give me AT LEAST thirty years and I know everything about it.

Clearly, I know everyone has their favorites and there is no right or wrong to this question. I am just interested to hear who likes what and why.
    Before dropping the idea of a vintage watch you may want to become as knowledgable about them as you are new watches. Take the time to learn about the brands and models you are interested in. Then find reputable sellers to deal with. Just as you would with a new watch. Both new and vintage watches can be made to last 30 years or longer by paying for regular servicing.

I enjoy vintage and new watches.

Modern if you can find them. Investment value seems as good and perhaps the quality and longevity is even higher in the more modern iterations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    trident1970 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    "investment", it would be best to forget that word.
    Yes...I suppose you're right. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Buy the seller. It sounds like you made the right decision.
    I couldn't agree more. This guy was a scumbag. Lots of double talk. He was trying to make his point to by showing me different models at higher prices....just a con artist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information