Vintage watches from India and The Philippines
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member Zach97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Decatur, Al
    Posts
    329

    Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Over the last year I have noticed a large amount of entry level vintage Swiss watches offered from these two countries in various stages of restoration. Do these countries have restoration companies there or some sort of horological industry? There are always LOADS on ebay and chrono24. Just curious if anyone knew where this was coming from or had experience buying any of these watches.

    Thanks,

    Zach

  2. #2
    Member Ausman600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    969

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    I have had a couple of watches from India and they have all been cobbled together with bits from various watches and in barely running condition. I would not do it again unless I found something I was willing to pour a few hundred $ into to get fixed.

  3. #3
    Member Zach97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Decatur, Al
    Posts
    329

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Great information. I was curious about that. I wonder what kind of facilities they are in when they are worked on.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    477

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach97 View Post
    Over the last year I have noticed a large amount of entry level vintage Swiss watches offered from these two countries in various stages of restoration. Do these countries have restoration companies there or some sort of horological industry? There are always LOADS on ebay and chrono24. Just curious if anyone knew where this was coming from or had experience buying any of these watches.

    Thanks,

    Zach
    I don't know how good they are but I've seen HMT in my watch research, they are made in India. Some of them look pretty cool. I think the Philippines has a manufacturer or two of cheap digital watches that I assume are about as good as any other cheap quartz watch, unless the watches I saw when I visited Manila with my girlfriend came from somewhere else. You wouldn't believe the market for fakes...within 15 minutes of walking down Padre Faura Street a guy was trying to sell me a "real Rolex" for $200, haha! Hell, it may have been real at that, robbed from a hotel room or something! Every day I was there somebody was trying to sell me a watch, ......, or fake Morgan dollars (in dull gunmetal grey!!).

  6. #5
    Member Zach97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Decatur, Al
    Posts
    329

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Quote Originally Posted by TobusRex View Post
    I don't know how good they are but I've seen HMT in my watch research, they are made in India. Some of them look pretty cool. I think the Philippines has a manufacturer or two of cheap digital watches that I assume are about as good as any other cheap quartz watch, unless the watches I saw when I visited Manila with my girlfriend came from somewhere else. You wouldn't believe the market for fakes...within 15 minutes of walking down Padre Faura Street a guy was trying to sell me a "real Rolex" for $200, haha! Hell, it may have been real at that, robbed from a hotel room or something! Every day I was there somebody was trying to sell me a watch, ......, or fake Morgan dollars (in dull gunmetal grey!!).
    Great, thanks. I will look into HMT have seen the name but l didn't know they were Indian. When I was in Jamaica last year I had a similar "real Rolex" experience but they didn't play in Jamaica... A group rushed my wife and I along with my wife's coworker and her us and and one literally grabbed my wife's coworker's hand and drug her away from us through the crowd to see her wares... After that experience we hopped our happy tales on the bus and stuck to the gated shopping centers.
    TobusRex likes this.

  7. #6
    Member James A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,771

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Hi,

    Seems that during the quartz crisis a lot of brands off loaded excess stock into the Indian market. Huge consumer base of course. And the mantra of the watchmakers there is 'Re-dial'. So as a result you will see a good amount of redials in garish colour's. Playing to their market I guess. On the whole they are good value. I bought a redialed Benrus for my son for the princely some of $10.00 and the thing is tough . He often takes the back of to marvel at the balance swinging away. Great cheap mechanical for a young one. Of course WEST END watch company has long been associated with India and you often see some nice vintage offering. As always buyer beware.

    Regards

  8. #7
    Member Zach97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Decatur, Al
    Posts
    329

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Thanks for the great information

  9. #8
    Member ChromeFreeDisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    629

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Of course WEST END watch company has long been associated with India and you often see some nice vintage offering. As always buyer beware.

    Regards
    Indeed.
    Name:  80CjNUgR.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  75.6 KB
    Interested in vintage digitals? Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube: Vintage Digital Videos

  10. #9
    Member hayday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Like always, the devil is in the details. As I understand, a good number of these pieces are franken-watches that are pieced together, not-necessarily-correctly refurbished, blatant rip offs and fakes that the seller is hoping will go unnoticed to unsuspecting buyers, and some very nice pieces that can be had for a bargain. It's kind of like buying an Invicta: some are buyer beware and some are really solid, but it's hard to know which is which until you already have it home for a proper inspection.

    My advice is to decide on the watch you want, do your research so you know what one is supposed to look like, and see what you can find. Once you're properly armed with knowledge, you can easily eliminate those that don't belong, and you have a good chance of getting a nice watch for a good price if you go at it this way. However, you're more likely to get burned if you just scroll through eBay and bid on something that looks good and is cheap. AFIK, Chrono24 does some type of pre-screening of the sellers who list with them so you have a layer of protection from getting a franken- or fake- watch. Hopefully, others who know more can chime in here.

    -hayday
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

  11. #10
    Member Zach97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Decatur, Al
    Posts
    329

    Re: Vintage watches from India and The Philippines

    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeFreeDisco View Post
    Indeed.
    Name:  80CjNUgR.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  75.6 KB
    Rofl. "Best therefore cheapest" really?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •