• 1 Post By WilyB
  • 1 Post By Stellite

Thread: Vulcain celebrates 60th anniversary of the ascent of K2

Watchuseek Editor

Vulcain celebrates 60th anniversary of the ascent of K2

Name:  1954_K2EtapesVictoire_LI_300dpi.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  152.8 KB

This summer, Vulcain, famous for its Cricket watch, pays tribute to the 60th anniversary of the ascent of K2 made by 14 climbers from the Italian Mountain Club in 1954. Three ascents, each equipped by Vulcain with Cricket watches, have been celebrated by the brand.

The first took place in the Andes, in the heart of the Cordillera Vilcamba in the centre of Peru. On August 5th 1952, a French-Belgian expedition directed by Bernard Pierre and two American teams conquered the north face of the Salcantay, one of the Andes’ untamed peaks, which reaches to a height of 6,264 metres. The assault took more than three weeks, and was punctuated by snowstorms.

Name:  HERITAGE_100153289LF.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  152.7 KB

Following this achievement, Vulcain received several testimonies from the climbing party praising the qualities of their Cricket Vulcain watches. These took in the entire ascent, reaching a height of more than 6000 metres. Despite substantial differences in daytime and night-time temperatures and despite the snow and the damp, the climbers confirmed that they never experienced the slightest failure of any kind.

The second noteworthy expedition took place 60 years ago.

Name:  1954_CampagnoniAngelinoPaganiFantinDesioAbramSoldaLacedelliBonattiViottoGallottiReyFloreaniniPuc.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  155.0 KB

In celebration of the 90th anniversary of the Italian Mountain Club, a team of 14 transalpine climbers were determined to conquer K2 for the first time. At 8,612 metres, K2 is the second highest mountain in the world after Everest. K2 is located in the north of Pakistan on the China-Pakistan border. The team was led by Ardito Desio, a professor of geology. 700 porters carried more than 13 tons of material to the base camp located at an altitude of more than 5,000 metres. On July 31st 1954, the party, with Lino Lacedelli and Achille Compagnoni, reached 8,612 metres. They too were accompanied by their trusty Crickets. Walter Bonatti, one of the most notable Italian climbers, was part of the expedition at the age of just 24 years old.

Name:  Montre Vulcain K2.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  164.3 KB

A few years later, in 1958, the 100th anniversary of Vulcain, a team that again consisted of Bonatti and other members of the first expedition, set off to conquer Gasherbrum IV (7,980 m), a Karakorum peak reputed to be inaccessible. Here again, Vulcain equipped the climbers with Crickets.

The watches from this small Swiss Manufacture achieved considerable success with these extreme climbers. Publications at the time proudly announced that these timepieces served “their owners faithfully by providing the exact time and by chiming at the right moment”. Vulcain paid tribute to this achievement by introducing its 50s President’s model in 2011.

Ascent of K2, the Italian Route

Name:  K2_Italian_Route.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  141.6 KB

The Italian Mountain Club expedition was the first to climb K2 via the historic Abruzzi Spur – named following an attempt in 1909 by the Duke of Abruzzi up to 6,000m. The Abruzzi Spur route is the most often used trail. Around 75% of climbers choose this route. It starts at 5300 metres at the bottom of a ridge, drops gently for several kilometres and continues up to the 8612 summit.

The length of the trail, coupled with extreme weather conditions and the inherent dangers of mountain climbing, make it one of the most hazardous routes in the 8000 metre climbing range. The challenging topological characteristics of this route are fraught with technical difficulty and danger. The area known as the 'Bottleneck' is an abrupt passage of ice and snow located at 8200 metres under an ice cliff and is regarded as one of the most difficult parts of this route, with the ever present possibility of chunks of ice falling at any time, like the tragedy which occurred in 2008 in when 11 people perished.

The route is punctuated with several camps at different altitudes. Once on the summit, the descent to Camp 4 is equally dangerous. Most accidents occur during this phase, chillingly, with one climber out of every two that has reached the summit dying during the descent.

Visit the Vulcain Watches website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; July 30th, 2014 at 05:38.
    Cybotron likes this.

Re: Vulcain celebrates 60th anniversary of the ascent of K2

Cool watch and commemorating one of the greatest mountaineering feats of man regarding summiting a peak. For those that don't know K2 is the king of all peaks, only collected by the hardest of the hard, bravest of the brave and craziest of the crazy, Everest (particulary the South Col "tourist route") is a cake walk in comparison. The Abruzzi Spur route is the most traveled but while it is not the most technical it has caused more death than any other. I have been on K2 twice and was "weathered" off both times, once on the Abruzzi Spur and once on the South East spur (which joins the Abruzzi at camp 3). I found out I wasn't her enough, brave enough or crazy enough.

I say this to emphasize the significance of what these men did, it truly overshadows what Hillary and Norgay did in terms of raw mountaineering. These men did it with super low tech equipment compared to today. K2 is still an unbelievable achievement even with all the modern equipment and weather information. Sorry for waxing poetic!

I do love the watch and interested in it.

Well, I thought the Explorer owned mountaineering heritage.I was wrrr wrr wrong.
    Last edited by James Haury; August 5th, 2014 at 04:09. Reason: I can not afford either one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    I found out I wasn't her enough, brave enough or crazy enough.
    It's the attempt that counts and not the result, as Teddy Roosevelt observed:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    Well, I thought the Explorer owned mountaineering heritage.I was wrrr wrr wrong.
    Don't forget Smiths.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    Rolex was the first one up in 1953 to mt everest and I think the old smith watch went up on that same climb or on a subsequent climb:

At 11:30 a.m. on May, 29, 1953 Hillary and Tenzing reached Mount Everest's Summit at 29,028 feet (8,848 Meters) which is the highest point on earth.
    I really like the Vulcain. I have been wanting one and just wondered about the alarm complication and how stout it is for every day beater use? I have another Vulcain in my want list, but the alarm function is very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I really like the Vulcain. I have been wanting one and just wondered about the alarm complication and how stout it is for every day beater use? I have another Vulcain in my want list, but the alarm function is very cool.
    I used one as my 'day beater' during most of the '70s and I never had any trouble with it. Of course I realize the current model isn't the same as the old one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stellite likes this.

Nice to see vulcain doing some noise in the marketing field!

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

Banned

That is a beauty....

Quote Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
    I used one as my 'day beater' during most of the '70s and I never had any trouble with it. Of course I realize the current model isn't the same as the old one.
    WilyB likes this.

Not the Cricket, but a Vulcain that's been with me for quite some time.
    Name:  Vulcain.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  106.8 KB
    Caveat lector

Thread Information