Vulcain Owners Club - Page 18
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: Vulcain Owners Club

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Re: Vulcain Owners Club

Here are a few pictures of crickets from the 50's with similar dials, all from the web:

Name:  148.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  18.3 KBName:  8687241.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  91.9 KBName:  Vu14.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  92.7 KBName:  DSC00751.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  110.4 KBName:  Vulcain_Cricket.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  210.5 KBName:  IMG_0739.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  192.4 KB

And here's an ad from the time - slightly different style dial, but same overal style:
    Name:  vulcain_1950.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  195.6 KB

Based on these pictures, I think the watch looks entirely legit - if the crown was replaced, it's not too far off from the original. These early crickets seem to have an unbranded crown.

The style of the hands on the sample you posted here looks good to me. The only thing that, on a second look, stands out a bit is the lack of the black tip on the alarm hand - which doesn't mean much, I think - I've seen several crickets from different eras with or without it. Another thing that from the angles you took the picture is not very clear - are the hands of the cricket blued, or is this just the lighting?

In any case, the movement looks very clean, the patina on the dial is super beautiful, and that strap is just too cool.
    allbrainsno likes this.

Just got this in from Israel. This i really not a Vulcain but some how it is… Phenix Kilimandjaro ref. S7724B (NOS)
    Phenix was a brand in the MSR group in the 70's (Vulcain, Buser, Revue and other)
    You can find this watch in same and other variations named Vulcain or Revue as well.
    Movement is ETA 2789-1.

Name:  PhenixS7724B3.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  PhenixS7724B2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  PhenixS7724B1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by maclerche; August 29th, 2015 at 15:16.
    MediumRB and Elmero like this.
    Best regards
    Henry Lerche Rasmussen
    Denmark

OK, I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'm glad it rose to the top! My story is a bit of the inverse of the OPs. It was the purchase of a Vulcain Nautical Trophy earlier this year that got me interested in mechanical alarms.

At the time, I was looking for an everyday tool watch, maybe with a GMT or world time function. At some point, I was at Tourneau looking at options with a salesman. It was getting late and we weren't finding anything. He turned to me and said, "Hang on. Come back here. I have to show you something. It's a little weird, but I think you'll like it." I guess the Davosa Vanguard I had on the time made him think I liked a kind of 70s style.

Long story short, he pulled out the Nautical Trophy. I won't say it was instant love, but I did like the uniqueness and the way the highly domed crystal looks like a snowglobe. I ended up making the purchase the next day after reading up on Vulcain and the Nautical Cricket. It wasn't until I used the alarm a few times that I really fell in love with the complication. I like alarms so much now, that I'd like to build a collection around the theme.

Name:  19811005649_950fbcf772_o.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  260.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by roadpumpkin View Post
    I like alarms so much now, that I'd like to build a collection around the theme.

Name:  19811005649_950fbcf772_o.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  260.0 KB
    BEAUTIFUL collection. With those two stunning alarms, you should also get a vintage Seiko Bell-matic to make you collection even more complete. It's another iconic variation of the complication, an incredibly fun watch with a pretty interesting mechanism, and will set you back almost nothing in contrast.

Thanks for sharing!! I love this memovox.

A Bell-matic is definitely on the list of pieces to get, but have been struggling to find one in the condition I want at the price I'd like. Then, there's also the Bulova Wrist-Alarm, Omega Memomatic, Tudor Advisor, a Girard Perregaux Alarm (with the little window at six o'clock)...

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post
    BEAUTIFUL collection. With those two stunning alarms, you should also get a vintage Seiko Bell-matic to make you collection even more complete. It's another iconic variation of the complication, an incredibly fun watch with a pretty interesting mechanism, and will set you back almost nothing in contrast.

Thanks for sharing!! I love this memovox.
    alx007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roadpumpkin View Post
    A Bell-matic is definitely on the list of pieces to get, but have been struggling to find one in the condition I want at the price I'd like. Then, there's also the Bulova Wrist-Alarm, Omega Memomatic, Tudor Advisor, a Girard Perregaux Alarm (with the little window at six o'clock)...
    Haha! Seems you have really been bitten by the bug, my friend! Welcome to the club. It's good to have you here!

First of all..., W E L C O M E roadpumpkin!

Don't you just hate it when a thread gets so long you can't go back and read all the replies?

Check out Page 4 Comment #39. My mechanical alarm collection (well, the majority of them anyway). I would dearly like to add some of the higher end ones you mention, esp. the Tudor. I picked these up over a number of years and some of the lesser ones would sell for 100 bucks! And when it gets down to it they all (nearly) used the AS movement (A.Schild - Adolph Schild).

Very impressive start!
    Last edited by I Like em BIG ! !; August 30th, 2015 at 00:15. Reason: Oooops... page #4, sorry.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like em BIG ! ! View Post
    Don't you just hate it when a thread gets so long you can't go back and read all the replies?
    I actually love the fact this thread got this big! :D When it started, I was thought Vulcain admirers were unicorns - impossible to find in the wild. It is very nice to see the good folks we gathered here - and their respective collections. Yours is awesome, let me add!!

The AS movement is the one I didn't get my hands on. I felt tempted to get a poljot a few times (they are fairly cheap) or a nice vintage from an unknown brand - had my eyes on a Technos a few times.

To bring it back to Vulcain... has anyone ever seen one of the cloisonne dials in the flesh? What was your reaction?

An enamel or grand feu dial is definitely something I'd like to have in the collection at some point. All the better if it has an alarm complication.

Here is what DHL did drop off today, a Vulcain Aviator ref. 100105.020L

Last edited by maclerche; September 2nd, 2015 at 18:52.
    Best regards
    Henry Lerche Rasmussen
    Denmark

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information