Vulcain Vulcanographe: column-wheel auto chrono?

Thread: Vulcain Vulcanographe: column-wheel auto chrono?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    v76

Vulcain Vulcanographe: column-wheel auto chrono?

It's strange that Vulcain developed an automatic column-wheel chronograph movement (cal. V-50) for the Vulcanographe (based on the 7750 (?) but that's not a column-wheel chrono!), and never used it in any other model! I believe the Vulcanographe was a limited edition release in 2007, don't think many were made.

(borrowed image)
    Last edited by v76; November 27th, 2010 at 00:06.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

Re: Vulcain Vulcanographe: column-wheel auto chrono?

Where do you find all this stuff?

Is that a column wheel chrono with GMT and also big date? I'm not normally one for chronos but I REALLY like this one.

v76

Yep, it has a GMT and big date feature ... I browse a lot, I guess

I saw one on sale, looks like it has gold chatons for the jewel bearings (all the major visible ones, anyway)

A slightly better movement shot ...

(borrowed image)

And another ...

Ok, looking at it a bit closer it looks like the back cover is upside down in the first shot (actual watch sample).
    Last edited by v76; November 27th, 2010 at 01:18.
    Collection:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yeah. Wow!

How much???

v76

A bit over $6000 retail. I've seen a couple of them sell for under $4k on the 'bay (one of them around $3k).
    Last edited by v76; November 27th, 2010 at 06:07.
    Collection:

OzO

Vulcain is a brand you really dont hear much about. I don't know about paying the asking price for the current models, but the vintages are gorgeous! I picked this one up while fishing the the 'Bay

Btw that Vulcanographe is unbelievable! If I had $6k burning a hole in my pocket, that would get a serious look
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

v76

Vintage Vulcains are great watches (and value too!), especially the Crickets. Here are some other new Vulcain movements (in-house):

Vulcain cal. V-20:

Like its predecessor, the self-winding Cricket Calibre V-20 is a 12-lignes (12’’’) movement equipped with twin barrels: one to deliver the energy required for the hour, minute and seconds functions; and the other to control the alarm function and its 15-to-20-second ring.
    It beats at a cadence of 18,000 vibrations per hour and is endowed with a 42-hour power reserve. The new self-winding Cricket Calibre V-20 is also equipped with Vulcain’s patented Exactomatic system which equalises the friction on the balance-staff in all positions by modifying the endstones of the incabloc shock-absorbers.
    This results in more regular amplitude and thus enhanced precision and improved regularity of rate on the wrist.
    Comprising 221 parts, Cricket Calibre V-20 stems from cutting-edge developments in terms of reliability and efficiency. Its oscillating weight called for a whole new going train to reduce torque and guarantee optimum winding. The unidirectional winding bi-metallic oscillating weight is equipped with ceramic ball bearings. It is protected by two anti-shock devices: a V-shaped cut in the centre of the metal enables a slight distortion of the oscillating weight in case of impact, before the latter returns to its initial shape. In the same spirit, a “pavement” on the lower bridge of the automatic winding mechanism provides the rotor with a point of support in case of impacts and thus avoids any risk of excessive tension. Also specially developed for this new Calibre V-20, the click wheel drives the barrel ratchet to enhance winding while on the wrist and enables smooth disconnection during crown winding.
    Boasting an impeccable pedigree as well as reliable performances, the self-winding Cricket Calibre V-20 alarm movement also features a new “hammer and anvil” system designed for the alarm function.
    The innovation lies in the arm which, when coupled with the hammer, strikes the “anvil” that is now placed at the centre of the movement.

Vulcain cal. V-21:

The 12-lignes (12’’’) movement is equipped with twin barrels – one to deliver the energy required for the hour, minute, date and seconds functions, and the other to operate the alarm function with its 15 to 20-second ring. This movement beats at 18,000 vibrations per hour and is endowed with a 42-hour power reserve.
    The new self-winding Cricket V-21 movement comprising 257 parts is equipped like its predecessors with Vulcain’s patented Exactomatic system which equals out the friction exercised in all positions on the balance-staff by modifying the endstones on the incabloc shock-absorbers. This results in regular amplitude and thus enhanced precision and improved regularity of rate on the wrist.
    The reliable high-performance self-winding Cricket V-21 alarm movement features a new hammer and anvil pin system for the alarm function. The innovation lies in an arm which, coupled with the hammer, strikes an anvil pin which is now placed at the centre of the movement.

I'm not sure how much of a difference exists between the V-20 and V-21 since the movement descriptions are ... well, almost the same (ok, parts count is different ... V-20:221 and V-21:257)

Vulcain cal. V-13:

This is the movement housed in the original "Cricket" watch.

Also, Vulcain cal.s V-10 and V-16 (no good images) ...

Vulcain cal. V-18:

This hand-wound alarm calibre is distinguished by its charcoal grey treatment and superb finishes, both signature characteristics of Haute Horlogerie at its most refined. Equipped with the Exactomatic system ensuring regular amplitude and enhanced rating precision, the Cricket Calibre V-18 is composed of 157 parts. Its twin barrels ensure a 42-hour power reserve and a 15 to 20-second alarm.
    Alongside the latter function, the movement drives central hour, minute and seconds hands. Featuring bevelled hour-markers and surrounded by a dial ring, the partially openworked dial offers tantalizing views of the gear trains and the meticulous finishing of the charcoal grey movement.

Vulcain cal. V-28 (the V-22 looks similar):

Pretty nice collection of in-house movements, I must say ...

(all images borrowed)
    Last edited by v76; November 27th, 2010 at 16:12.
    Collection:

OzO

That post deserves a sticky! Best post I've read in a good long while
    Cheers,
    Mark

OzO

I was having a little browse online and found this one for sale

VULCAIN 500515.099L

The price has a little too many numbers in it for my liking! My web browser thinks the price is a phone number
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wow that watch looks very nice! If I can find it at a good deal I'd definitely buy one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information