WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

W.I.S. Confessions

37K views 361 replies 197 participants last post by  RLextherobot 
#1 Β·
Here is where we confess things that are true that contradict our WIS status.

1. β„‘ π” π”žπ”«'𝔱 𝔱𝔒𝔩𝔩 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔑𝔦𝔣𝔣𝔒𝔯𝔒𝔫𝔠𝔒 π”Ÿπ”’π”±π”΄π”’π”’π”« 𝔱π”₯𝔒 π”“π”žπ”«π”’π”―π”žπ”¦ π”ͺ𝔬𝔑𝔒𝔩𝔰
2. I'm secretly looking for a Fitness Tracker that will not conflict with my watch
3. I wear the same watch for months on end

#276 Β·
- I can spend hours of the day scrolling through watch forums, chrono24 and ebay...
- Once upon a time, I sold all my watches except Omega SMPc, signed off from all forums, deleted Chrono/Ebay apps and decided to wear SMPc as my only watch, not obsessing over watches anymore... It lasted for 5 years. Then SMPc had to go for service and I started panicking that I can't be without a watch for 1-2 months. I installed back Chrono/Ebay and all the forums. Bought 4 watches in 3 months, spent more than 10k in the process, sold SMPc after it came back from service... And got hooked again... wtf...
- I'm constanly trying to figure out what diagnosis would be appropriate for myself and many members of forums like these...
- I despise people buying fakes knowingly. It's lowest a person could do. If my own mother would wear a fake I would never talk to her again...
- I obsess over accuracy. It must be within COSC or I can't bond with the watch.
- I say to everyone I would never own Rolex due to it's image (at least around my people and also after I spent a lot of time in certain parts of the world with no taste whatsoever - don't want to insult anyone) - but actually, deep inside I crave for one. Would wear it at home probably.
- only thing worse than a flashy watch is a golden flashy watch. Unless you have hairy chest and mustache, then I guess it fits like a glove...
- I love Omega and Bond connection. It got me into watches when I was teen. 2531.80. is the only grail I ever wanted and got.
- that being said - I hate the fact first Omega in Bond was quartz...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#277 Β·
This has been a very illuminating thread. I have been watching a lot of youtube stuff about watchmaking recently, and find the mechanics, design and skill etc involved utterly fascinating.. even on watches that I consider visually gaudy, impractical and extremely "nouveau riche". Much like cars though, I know/care almost nothing about brand rivalries and historic "beefs" between fans of X or Y brands - which is fine with me. I like what I like, and I want a watch I can look at to tell the time. But the craft is amazing, and reading about what everyone thinks is interesting.

#278 Β·
Hmm, let's see:
-I'm not a WIS
-I'm a watch buyer, not collector
-I tend to like a lot of things many around here don't
-I buy what appeals to me, resale has zero influence
-I've seen and handled grand seiko watches and still don't get it. Though I do like the design of the most recent models
-I couldn't care less if a watch has an in house movement and my impression is that most people who are most vocally in favor of in house have a hard time articulating a reason for their preference ( beyond the "I wouldn't pay X for a watch with an off-the-shelf movment")
---Lastly, my interest in this forum ebbs and flows based on where I am mentally with the watches I own. Right now, I am looking to buy something so I find myself here quite frequently. Once I make a purchase, I likely won't be here all that frequently

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#284 Β·
Gee..., yer a lot of fun...!

#280 Β·
I've been planning to buy a Spring Drive GS or maybe even a Rolex OP this year but I'm now looking more at an Omega Seamaster to pair up with my Speedmaster. I like Omega more than the other two brands. It's also quite a bit cheaper and I'm frugal at heart, even with thousands into the watch hobby.

I spend more time than I should researching watches. I could read a book, I could work out more. It's really too much sometimes and I know it.

I find Christopher Ward's logo decisions absolutely fine. I have one with the double flag at 3 o'clock and one with the CW name at 9 o'clock. I'll probably pick up one with the old ChrWard 12 o'clock logo just for fun to complete the set. People need to get over it. The watches are awesome. The logo is not even a consideration when you have it in hand.

I seem love watch brands that start with the letter "C" for some unknown reason and I have plenty of watches from those brands:

4 Citizens
2 Christopher Wards
2 Certinas
7 Casios

Weird.

My watch budget for my next watch is way higher than I hope to spend for my next cheapo beater vehicle. A Seamaster for $4000 and a Camry for $2000. Sounds like a plan.

I love chronographs and I have a bunch of them. I don't use the function a lot but I admire it very much. As a "trinket" a chronograph is so much cooler than most other types of watches. It's a timer within a timer for god's sake. It's amazing.

All hail the chronos.

#285 Β· (Edited)
The wife likes vintage. I bought her a Zenith, but she still wears the old vintage Avia I gave her years ago instead. I flipped the Zenith... she hasn't realised yet...

#286 Β·
1. I have five chronograph watches, even though I don’t really use the chronograph function.
2. I have a dive watch, even though I don’t dive.
3. I didn’t like watches with date windows at the 4:30 position at first, but after I bought three of them last year, I came to like them.

#288 Β·
It's an addition to see different face and builds and limbs to move on... my wrist every single day...

#292 Β·
I mostly consider watches status symbols, conversation starters and ways to impress shallow, materialistic people. I like the engineering and design bit too, but the only way they justify their cost is because you might get some ......... with too much money to pay you more than you're worth because he thinks you're Rolex-bros or something.

I think Omega is the most boring brand out there. Not disputing the quality and heritage, and I have an Omega, btw, and love it. But the brand is BORING.

I don't really care if my watches are accurate since they're essentially man-jewelry, but I still have a hard time considering anything that's not in-house and COSC certified.

For all this talk, the most I've spent on a watch is $600, and it was a quartz. I consider this a failure of character, as I'm not living up to my aspirations of being a watch snob!

Reactions: EPK
#293 Β·
Great thread OP.

- the more people dog on Hublot, the more I like the brand.

- I recently sold 2 SS Rolexes for $5500 ( could've gotten $8k+) each to a grey to not have to deal with the Hassle of selling them.

- I've bought and sold 4 Breitling Aerospace's. I don't know why?

- I'd never beg or grovel or all this other BS I hear people doing for Rolexes. My dignity is worth more than a Daytona. But I also own a Daytona. [emoji23]

- I've spent at least $20k on buying watches online only to get them and hate them on my wrist. Now I never buy until I wear.

- Patek couldn't be more boring to look at. Except maybe the Aquanaut, maybe...

#294 Β·
This was entirely unexpected, but having read a lot of this thread, above, I see it's not unprecedent: I'm discovering I like and wear my relatively inexpensive watches a lot more. Case in point is the Bell-matic I've been wearing constantly since its return from service. Regardless of the context - the office, court (for work!), weekends in boots and jeans - I still reach for the Bell-matic.

The Speedmaster sits unattended (except for winding it a few times a week), the Omega cosmic sits in a drawer, and if there's a 'backup' it's become the '79 6309 diver.

Where's the confession here? I think I'm downwardly mobile....

Cat Black cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Hand

#296 Β·
-I pay a lot of attention to accuracy even though my watches stop at least once a week
-I've worn Suunto9 more last year than all my manufacture WIS-pieces
-I've grown in to this bigger is better nonsense
-I think most watch arguments for and against are bull$hit
-I think that obsessing resale value is buying something you don't really like that much
-What I buy myself and what I recommend to others are far from the same
-I think that all rationalizing and appealing to practicality are nonsense once you have decided to go mechanical

#298 Β·
Here we go:
- I mostly buy watches for their looks
- My collection is too large but I keep adding more than I sell
- I really like microbrands but I have made the decision to buy only large brand watch to try to restrict the number of watch I own
- I love larger watches and don't see myself going to a size smaller than 43mm although my wrist is 7.25" (but won't go above 46mm)
- I like Tag Heuer because it is an easily recognized brands by non-watch enthusiast
- I very often find excuses to add watches to my collection (mmm...I don't have a green chrono watch...I need one)
- I don't share with anyone how many watches I own, a good chance the concept of "collector" exists, if not I would be called obsessive

#302 Β·
I have twelve watch winders so my dirty dozen are always ready to go. Although I have now turned off all but the two keeping the two annual calendar’s wound to reduce likelihood of magnetization and overworking the lot. That was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#305 Β·
-I recently bought my first Grand Seiko (it was also a spring drive)... I didn't get it and has already been sold. Spring drive was kinda cool though, but even that faded after the first month or so.
-I wish I bought a different colored Seamaster... but if I had the other color, I'd probably wish I had the current color
-I think Speedmasters look terrible. Cool history though.
-I have more enjoyment wearing my G-Shock Rangeman vs. all my other watches
-I sometimes wish I worked in a dressy setting to wear dress watches all the time (I work in tech), but I'd probably complain about it if I did
-I attend track days all the time and have competed in time trial series, but don't own a real chronograph
-Sometimes I wonder what I could've bought with the money if I stopped after my first "nice" watch
-I served in the Marines (2/5), but never wore "military-style" watches. Now that I'm out, I'm obsessed with them.
-I think I like my CasiOak more than my RO
-Open casebacks are one of the biggest selling point for mechanical watches for me (don't kill me pls)
-Recently bought one of my grail watches. Never meet your heroes gents.

#306 Β·
- The watches on your wrist never look as good as in the pictures
- I am genuinely worried about how I would manage my watch addiction with my growing family
- Consolidating one's collection is way harder than I initially imagined
- I have about 5 on my daily rotation, In hopes that I'd get to nerd out with others of similar interests. Alas, I have a desk job in front of a computer.
- 5 ring nato straps look profoundly stupid on watches that are less than 42mm diameter.
- I am increasingly finding that the height of the watch rather than the diameter is a dealbreaker for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.