Wachtes = uncool?

Thread: Wachtes = uncool?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wachtes = uncool?

I (and I think many people on ths board) am the kinda of guy:

If I don't wear a watch I feel naked.

However; It seems more and more young people don't wear watches anymore. I help an assistant teacher and so I am sometimes in class.
    Today I had some students (~16 years old)

From 20 students only 4 wore a watch. And this is in Switzerland, that home country of watches.

Really strange, in other countires watches seem more popular.

Can't understand how a cellphone can replace a watch.

Wink Re: Wachtes = uncool?

Hi Martin,

Same thing in the Netherlands. I think I have the same job as yours (Technical Educational Assistant Chemistry). I think more of my students wear watches, but the biggest parts of the class have a pocket watch they can use as a phone too The good part for your country, Satch is very popular (and as a G-Shock Collector, I also have a Mondaine Stop and Go)

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: Wachtes = uncool?

Its quite funny.

On your exams cell phones are banned. Thats since five years or so.

We had someone that made a complaint after failing literature:
    "I had no chance to know the time"

Well, that complaint was refused. He was so lucky his complaint in Mathematics came thourgh (but that was a mistake in the gradeing)

Now before the last test I told my students:

You can't have your cellphones. So look you know the time. Get a watch.

Someone said "Hey, why we now need to buy a watch? Money doesn't grow on tress"

I replied

First, you can get a cheap watch for 10 francs. You can get a nice Swatch for 80 francs. You maybe got an old watch that just need batteries. But please. Your accounting book was over 100 francs and no one complained. And if you don't want to spend money. Lend a watch from your brother, girlfriend or whoever.

Owned ;)

However I made all the trainees I take care of at work wearing one, and I am not the only one to do so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aurer View Post
    "I had no chance to know the time"
    Isn't it mandatory that there is a clock in the room of the exam?

Anyway, it would be so easy for the teacher to put up a wall clock so everybody is aware of the time.

And if the students weren't aware that mobile phones aren't allowed in the exam, so were using the phone as a watch, then they would be in big trouble if the phone was banned. Too late to get a watch then, huh?

They were aware.

One month before the exam they got the papers with the rules. And phones were banned for 4 years or so.

Some rooms don't have wall clocks, that was also known.

But the last exams almost everyone had a "device" to see the time ;)

Hi Martin,

I just had two classes 4th graders (around 16 years old). I think that about 40% (of about 44) was wearing a watch (even a silver Swatch skin). Maybe times are changing

Hi DW-5600E,

We have in all class rooms a clock on the wall. The final exams are held in our sport hall. Specially for the exams two large clocks are hung on the wall, so that even the students sitting in the back can see how long they have to finish their exams.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

EAD

Can't figure out how people today "abandon" their hand watches
    A phone is just a "plastic" feel, it is a cheap thing that I will replace every wome time, just like my computer, but watch is much more than this

A good watch has a personallty, it is something even more than just tell the time, and by the way - it also tell the time, and does a darn good job

A watch tell also a bit who you are, isn't it... I need a watch that can take some impact every once in a while, without distroying it.

Cheers,

Sjors

EAD

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    A watch tell also a bit who you are, isn't it... I need a watch that can take some impact every once in a while, without distroying it.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Yeah I agree with you!
    I just don't get it for young girls and boys, because they wear many jewels and bracelet, but putting a nice watch on themself - no!
    A watch is something even more then a Jewel sometime, it has more "character" and it allways nice to see a nice watch

Discussions/Posts like this have been here before...

So, just to repeat myself:
    1. A mobile phone to check the time is IMHO just plain awkward, brings us actually back to the 19th/early 20th century into the time of pocket watches... - I like to have the time at a flick of my wrist.
    2. No electronic gadget can ever have the fascination of a mechanical wristwatch. Full stop.

And - regarding the attitude of the students mentioned in this thread: How can they actually be this f#####g stupid? The test conditions were introduced to them weeks before, the ban of mobile phones is valid for years? Are today's students really this silly?
    Let me say regarding this matter: Back in the early 1980s, when I finished school in Germany there have been no wall clocks in the exam rooms at all. And everybody stating he can not take the exam due to not bringing a timing device of his own - he/she would just have been thrown out of the exam, because he/she just proved to be too stupid to take the exam at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information