Walked into a mall jewelry store today, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Walked into a mall jewelry store today, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Walked into a mall jewelry store today, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.

Walked into one of those cookie cutter stores today- you know, the television commercial, "Oh my god, he went where to get your ring?!" stores.

Seeing all of those second hands tick-tock-tick-tocking was so saddening!

Never thought I'd be snobby when it came to watches, but I'm just so glad that I found WUS and never have to have a collection of tick-tockers again.

Re: Walked into a mall jewelry store today, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.

We all have different tastes. Wearing quartz is better than wearing no watch at all. Most people would not be interested in paying the price to have an mechanical, let alone really understand the difference between quartz or mechanical. We are a special bread, us WUS'ers(?).

Banned

Re: Walked into a mall jewelry store today, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by vserduchka View Post
    Walked into one of those cookie cutter stores today- you know, the television commercial, "Oh my god, he went where to get your ring?!" stores.

Seeing all of those second hands tick-tock-tick-tocking was so saddening!

Never thought I'd be snobby when it came to watches, but I'm just so glad that I found WUS and never have to have a collection of tick-tockers again.
    That just means you didn't fully grasp the complexity of quartz watches and get hung up on a portrayed (indeed snobbish) superiority of a sweeping second hand.

If you want a watch you can buy at the mall with a second hand that sweeps smoother than anything mechanical and keeps better time, get a Bulova Precisionist. I checked them out at the mall today. Not half bad. They looked a bit cheap and some were outright ugly but in terms of movements they are very cool.

Or get a Seiko SpringDrive, a hybrid that trounces most mechanicals on accuracy and basically all of them on smoothness of second hand.

Or get a Chronomaster, where the second hand ticks very precisely but the minute hand has such a smooth motor that it is moved 3600 times every hour.

What is indeed impressive is a lot of the crap they sell at the mall and that people buy it plus the reasons they buy it, since they either don't know better, don't care more or can't afford better. And instead of getting one really good thing that lasts a life-time, they buy one crappy item after the other which ends up costing them more. A vicious circle. Now that is depressing. ;)
    Chronopolis and 124Spider like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with you 100%. I have no interest in quartz watches.

I don't think the problem is with quartz watches. There are a ton of interesting quartz watches out there, with fantastic design. The problem is that the cookie cutter mall shops all stock the same boring crap stock. You rarely find any of the really good Citizen or Seiko models - it's usually just the low end stuff. And the god awful Bulova Swarovski crystal watches - I never even saw anyone even try these on, much less wear them. One such jewelery store in my local mall recently tossed out Rado and Raymond Weil in favor of G-Shock..really??? These type of stores are not meant for buyers like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    I don't think the problem is with quartz watches. There are a ton of interesting quartz watches out there, with fantastic design. The problem is that the cookie cutter mall shops all stock the same boring crap stock. You rarely find any of the really good Citizen or Seiko models - it's usually just the low end stuff. And the god awful Bulova Swarovski crystal watches - I never even saw anyone even try these on, much less wear them. One such jewelery store in my local mall recently tossed out Rado and Raymond Weil in favor of G-Shock..really??? These type of stores are not meant for buyers like us.
    You just described every mall watch/jewelry store here in Calgary. Hail the internet!

Man, if you don't like Citizen Chronomasters, you just don't like watches.
    CitizenM and v76 like this.

I clicked on this thread, and now I'm depressed. Seriously depressed.
    ohmegah likes this.
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Well you said it yourself, you whent into a jewelry store. I don't go into jewlerystores any more, like another poster stated they all havthe same stuff usually. The more I get into watches the more I stay out of jewelry stores. Most of the watches I like now are prety hard to find at your local mall. Congrats on liking mechanicals but don't think you are some super watch aficionado because you thumb your nose at quartz watches.
    Last edited by wristclock; December 4th, 2011 at 07:42.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

Banned

Sorry everyone, I guess I forgot to add that the thing that made me the most upset was the MASSIVELY inflated prices for the tickers.

$1095 for a Victorinox Dive Master 500 Quartz???

No thank you.
    CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information