Wanna buy a watch???

Thread: Wanna buy a watch???

Wanna buy a watch???

Very weird story...
    If it happened just once I'd be ok, a fluke, but twice in one night?!
    I bartender and manage a bar. I usually don't work on weds. nights but I did my GM a favor and I closed for her on weds. 2 hours into the night this guy is sitting at my bar, looks at my wrist and says. "cool watch, you know what this is?" "I sell it to you, $150!" It was a horrible fake Rolex Sub. I shook him off trying to be polite. No harm, no foul...
    3 HOURS LATER!!!
    Now its the witching hour all the freaks come out after mid-night. Different guy, looks at me, "hey, you like Rolex?" "This ain't one of those $20,000 ones but its nice." "I'll let you have it for $500" another Rolex Sub! But this one has the very rare MOP dial!!! I just could help it... time to mess w/ his head...
    I asked him to take it off. His reply, "oh, you really know your s**t, your'e looking for one of those glass backs ain't you?!" Horrible fake w/ a miyota movt. I had to break it to the poor SOB that his watch was worthless. He ask me how and I just explain that the Sub doesn't come w/ a "glass back". I then pointed out the obvious, pins not screws, no hologram ect... I asked him how much he paid for it, he wouldn't tell me. He just kept insisting that I had no clue about what I was telling him.
    A very seredipitous night... Just wanted to share it w/ ya'll.

Re: Wanna buy a watch???

Yep Sub / Rolex Fakes are very common, just have to becareful.

...hence the reason for me not being able to appreciate Rolex like other wristwatch companies in and above its class. too many 'wannabes' who resort to wearing fakes.
    Sorry if anyone who reads this actually owns a fake of any kind, but this sort of thing is not how one enjoys timepieces. The excitement for saving up and earning a genuine timepiece, whether its a $300 quartz to a rolex to even an a. lange & sohne or patek...all WISs realize that its the excitement and joy one gets out of going through the entire experience of acquiring new pieces. thanks for the post though; great night! haha
    Casio G-Shock 2800B
    Tissot Seastar 1000 w Black Dial

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What watch were you wearing?

Automatik - What you say is true, but some companies are offering this replica's with swiss eta movements.. What do you say to that?
    Theoilrigger- You should of known it was a fake the second he said "give me $500"
    -who in their right mind would take such a loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselgeek View Post
    What watch were you wearing?
    I was wearing my L&B Aquamatic, its my beater that i wear to work. My others I won't wear at the bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Patstarrx View Post
    Automatik - What you say is true, but some companies are offering this replica's with swiss eta movements.. What do you say to that?
    Theoilrigger- You should of known it was a fake the second he said "give me $500"
    I automatically knew it was fake, I was just amazed at how terrible it was.(miyota movt. w/ Rolex stamped all over the rotor) Like I said, he wouldn't tell me how much he paid for it. He was mad b/c I told him it wasn't worth more than $60, if that, you could just tell by the look on his face, he got scammed. He probably knew it was a fake, but never knew how bad of a fake it was. Poor bastard, P.T. Barnum said it best!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstarrx View Post
    I have to agree with Automatik here. The biggest problem I have with Rolex is that I have seen so many fakes, I generally assume all of them are fake. Don't get me wrong, real Rolex's are nice (I work with a number of guys that have them) but they have been faked so often, it has tainted my view of the brand. This is, of course, not Rolex's fault.

I personally don't think there is any excuse for owning or wearing a replica or fake, even if it is a well made fake with a swiss movement. They are illegal (violate copyright and other IP rights).

Hommages on the other hand are a bit different. While I don't own any, they are at least not trying to trade on someone else's name they are just copying the style of the original but doing it under their own name or putting no name on the watch. Frankly a lot of the big name brand watches are, to a degree, copies of other big name brand watches.
    Very few tasks cannot be accomplished with orders that end in the words "... or die trying."

Current Collection: Sinn 656 on rubber strap | Seiko SKX781K on bracelet (Orange Monster) | Damasko DC56 | Suunto t4 | Casio G-Shock Cockpit Scuba Worldtime G-741D-7 | Doxa 1000T Professional | TAG Heuer Monaco CW2111.BA0780 (black chrono on braclet) | Seiko SKX779K3 on rubber (Black Monster) | Sinn U1 on rubber & steel | Orient Star WZ0271FD (300m yellow diver) | Panerai PAM112L
    Incoming: nothing currently
    Wish List: Christiaan van der Klaauw Ariadne in Steel | Omega Seamaster PO Big Size 2200.50.00 with Mesh Bracelet | Blankpain Fifty Fathoms and still looking . . .
    Gone:
    TAG Heuer 2000 Professional (blue chrono on bracelet)

Thread Information