Want to change and adjust bands myself...

Thread: Want to change and adjust bands myself...

Want to change and adjust bands myself...

I just recently caught the bug and have acquired 5 watches in the past month. I am going to stop for a while. However, I would like to be able to change and adjust my own bands myself. I am somewhat competent with tools having worked on motorcycles, cars and bicycles over the years. What do I need for this? I notice, for example, my Breitling Pro II has really tiny screws in the band. Is there a set of specific band changing tools? At this point I have zero intention of attempting any other work on my watches, just adjusting and changing straps, bracelets, bands. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Want to change and adjust bands myself...

Quote Originally Posted by CBar View Post
    I just recently caught the bug and have acquired 5 watches in the past month. I am going to stop for a while. However, I would like to be able to change and adjust my own bands myself. I am somewhat competent with tools having worked on motorcycles, cars and bicycles over the years. What do I need for this? I notice, for example, my Breitling Pro II has really tiny screws in the band. Is there a set of specific band changing tools? At this point I have zero intention of attempting any other work on my watches, just adjusting and changing straps, bracelets, bands. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I was recently in exactly the same position as the one in which you find yourself, so I may be able to help a little.

You can buy a small, cheap, set of so-called jewellers' screwdrivers from Sears Hardware dept. There are several different blade types and a little handle into which the blades can be fitted. The smaller of the two straight blades fit the screws in the Breitling bracelet.

For other bracelet changing weapons, go to Timezone.com, select "Tools and Resources", look for Tool shop and then catalog. There are lots of delightful looking toys, among them several little screw-type presses with which the push-pins of bracelets can be removed.

When you try that for the first time, look at the underside of the bracelet and there is usually a little arrow that tells you which way the pin should be pushed, both outward and inward. The other thing you have to watch out for is that some pins are actually split, like little skinny cotter-pins (same as front wheel-bearing nut locks on rear-wheel drive cars). These have a little bulge near the open end and that holds them in place when they are in...... and it matters which way round they go in. Another type of pin is solid but it is held in place by a tiny bushing that grips the pin. When you remove the pin on this type, and separate the two parts of the bracelet, the bushing sometimes hides in one of the links and sometimes jumps out and lands in some inaccessible place like the carpet or the crannies in your knitted sweater. So it's a good idea to have a really good look at each end of each hole in each link and see if there is anyone lurking in there.

Besides the little screw-press, the only tools that really help in adjusting and changing bracelets are a small pair of pliers (sometimes needed to pull the pins out once the press has gone as far as it can) and a pair of very pointy tweezers for picking up and placing the bushings and the little screws becfore starting to scrw them in.

If you have a watch whose bracelet uses spring-pins (a tubular center-section with a spring-loaded outer part at each end), you can usually get the spring-loaded end out of its socket with a sharp knife, but there are little forks, like shrunken nail removers, available that do a nice job, too. Spring-pins are usually only used to hold the bracelet into the watch lugs and occasionally in part of the clasp.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a text-book when I wasn't watching.

I hope this helps a bit and I wish you good luck!

Thread Information