Want to help Japan? Buy a Watch!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Want to help Japan? Buy a Watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs Up Want to help Japan? Buy a Watch!

Hi there,

I came across a short, good and to-the-point article at aBlogToRead (title borrowed from them).

Idea is simple - support Japanese companies by buying their products, including watches: Seiko, Casio, Citizen, Orient, Credor, Grand Seiko...

Not sure if I can copy content from there, so link to the article for those interested: Want To Help Japan? Buy A Watch

Last edited by tom_hanx; March 15th, 2011 at 17:03.
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

Banned

Re: Want to help Japan? Buy a Watch!

Ordered Seiko Stargate already. Should be on the way.

Cannot help but notice the tragic irony that the case back motif is called 'tsumani'

Great idea! I am on the verge of purchasing a Laco pilot's watch.. maybe I'll make it a Miyota movement instead.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seriously considering an Orient and a Mudman.

Banned

Support your own country first.
    We all will be paying to help with the rebuilt.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy that Casio GA100 I've been thinking about.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Hmmm, I guess this makes up in some way for some incredibly (and to be fair I think unfortunately and accidentally) badly timed jokes on the last hourtime podcast.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Support your own country first.
    We all will be paying to help with the rebuilt.
    When it comes to buying watches that not be easy. Unless you're Swiss. And I'm not sure they're usually the first to help out when it comes to international aid.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Banned

I do not know either!

My thinking was to support production (cars, clother, etc etc) in your own country. Then your country will be able to send help to Japan.
    Buying a Seiko wil only increase Seiko's profit, not do much helping those that lost so much....

In fact I do not know how much forein help Japan needs. It is afterall a rich country.
    When Cayman got flattened by hurricane Ivan, it never received any help. The state, companies and individuals did it all be themselves!
    UK asked if they needed help, but got turned down.

I hope my post is not seen as political.

Oh yeah, the Headquarters for Red Cross is in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I do not know either!

My thinking was to support production (cars, clother, etc etc) in your own country. Then your country will be able to send help to Japan.
    Buying a Seiko wil only increase Seiko's profit, not do much helping those that lost so much....

In fact I do not know how much forein help Japan needs. It is afterall a rich country.
    When Cayman got flattened by hurricane Ivan, it never received any help. The state, companies and individuals did it all be themselves!
    UK asked if they needed help, but got turned down.

I hope my post is not seen as political.

Oh yeah, the Headquarters for Red Cross is in Switzerland.
    Buying a Japanese watch does not do much for the country of Japan, except to earn greater profits for the Japanese watchmakers. Unless, of course, you purchase brand new watches and the watchmakers give a portion of their profits for the relief effort. In fact, if these very firms lost capital and infrastructure, they may need the money themselves. So, the real question becomes, "do you want to help support the Japanese watchmakers?"

In terms of government donations, the US is the largest donor of foreign aid and relief. Of course, other governments give foreign aid relief as well. However, current production purchases do not directly support the current crisis in Japan. Past purchases, from which taxes are collected, are used for any current forms of aid. The alternatives are NGO's and non-profit organizations that directly support the relief effort, but I suggest researching how each dollar (or enter currency here) is used (e.g. administrative costs as proportion of each dollar and performance in terms of relief aid). Purchasing Japanese goods in general directly imported from Japan, or otherwise through middlemen/organizations would also allocate funds to the Japanese people in the medium-run, though the allocation as a percentage of profits vary from goods and organizations.

I'm not trying to be a downer or to be political, but I'm a strong believer that one should be advised as to how best to help during situations like this.
    lvt and 09.ducati like this.
    Best,

Tempvs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information