Want to modify the Auto ETA-2824 to Handwind - Page 2

Thread: Want to modify the Auto ETA-2824 to Handwind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Handwinding an auto

Hmm, Certina's FAQ page states:

14. How much is the power reserve for a self-winding mechanical Certina watch and how does it work?
    The functioning of a self-winding mechanical Certina movement depends on the wrist movements of the wearer. When fully wound, the watch have a power reserve of minimum 38 - 42 hours. Since the watch's self-winding mechanism is directly linked to the wearer's activity, 10 to 12 hours' wear should be sufficient to generate a power reserve of 20 hours or more, which ensures that the watch will continue to run throughout the night.
    However, if a watch has not been worn for several days and its power reserve has thus run low, we recommend you wind the watch manually for around 15 rotations of the crown (clockwise) to ensure the best possible rate from the outset.
    RickH86

Certina DS Podium Automatic
    Casio BM8180-03E
    Skagen Quartz 170 LTTM

Seiko Quartz

That quote from Ziggyzumba is fascinating. It sounds like the clutch mechanism does not fully protect against wear from handwinding, specifically the freewheel. This is counter to so many posts on WUS and implied info from manufacturers. I handwind my autos constantly, so this makes me think.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Following the advice from WUS that the watch should keep better time if it is more fully wound, I've been winding mine around 10 turns each morning. (Using the logic that Certina says 15 turns from a full stop, and assuming it was automatically wound until I went to bed).

I'm consistently getting +10 to + 11 seconds per day, so not superior accuracy, but great consistency so far. Now I'm going to change the overnight position and see of anything changes.
    RickH86

Certina DS Podium Automatic
    Casio BM8180-03E
    Skagen Quartz 170 LTTM

Seiko Quartz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information