Warning: Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Warning: Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm disappointed to report that within a week of buying a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E, a significant number of scratches have appeared on the crystal. It hasn't even seen hard use yet. Considering that I am a wildlife biologist who spends a lot of time in the outdoors, I do not expect it to last long. Especially when I start using it for work.
    It may look like a rugged outdoor watch, but it doesn't appear to work as one. My impression is that this is a watch made to look outdoorsy but not to actually function in outdoor conditions.

Re: Warning: Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E

They just don't make sub-$100 watches like they used to.

An $89 watch with a mineral crystal...you get what you pay for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like it’s doing what it’s supposed to. The crystals are likely cheap to replace. Worst case, you’d replace the watch. (I have that same model by the way.)

Would you have bought this watch if it were $295 and had a sapphire crystal?

Also, check out this thread if you haven’t already. There’s some good conversation about this sort of watch need in there!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Citizen is undoubtedly a quality brand, but this phenomenon on the crystal (on thin sapphire too) and the casing knows that it also appears on more expensive models...
    Nighthawk (all versions) is also very easy to scratch the glass , casing and bracelet, and it belongs to their most popular models from the lower-middle price range.

Послато са Nexus 7 помоћу Тапатока

My suggestion would be to either replace the crystal with sapphire or find a way to up your budget and purchase a watch that comes with a sapphire crystal. Your watch has a mineral crystal which is essentially a type of glass (soft). A sapphire crystal is literally artificially grown sapphire and is just slightly softer than diamond... you will not scratch it.

Having your crystal replaced will probably cost you around $100 which isn't really worth it on your Citizen. Good quality watches that come from the factory with a sapphire crystal probably start around $400

Pictures??
    Davidka likes this.

You purchase a very low budget watch with a mineral crystal... Hhhmmmm

Get a G-shock and be trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    You purchase a very low budget watch with a mineral crystal... Hhhmmmm

Get a G-shock and be trouble free.
    Most G-Shocks also have mineral crystal, but the bezel will protect it from most, but not all scratches.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Seldom View Post
    I'm disappointed to report that within a week of buying a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E, a significant number of scratches have appeared on the crystal. It hasn't even seen hard use yet. Considering that I am a wildlife biologist who spends a lot of time in the outdoors, I do not expect it to last long. Especially when I start using it for work.
    It may look like a rugged outdoor watch, but it doesn't appear to work as one. My impression is that this is a watch made to look outdoorsy but not to actually function in outdoor conditions.
    Next time do some research and ask for suggestions on this forum before pressing the buy button.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information