Wasting my time on Ebay...
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Wasting my time on Ebay...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,232

    Wasting my time on Ebay...

    So I see a slightly used (almost new) watch on ebay. It's not a high dollar watch, I can buy it new for $140. The seller has $129 obo. I offered $75, got to get the ball rolling right? So I get a counter offer of $128! Swell... For $12 more I'm buying new buster. Now the question of course is, what is their damage? Will some sucker eventually buy it from them, or will it just get relisted until the end of time?

  2. #2
    Member LCandela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    What if he was just getting the ball rolling the other way with $128?
    SolomonSmith likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    Stuff like this is always happening on ebay...
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    southern New Mexico
    Posts
    8,480

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    I'd guess he thought your offer was just lowballing, and possibly planning to hose him. Put yourself in his shoes.

    It may get relisted a few times, or someone will offer something like $100 and he'll take it.

    Heck, I've looked a few times at the 2017 versions of the Eco Drive One. $3500 MSRP. Not released yet. There have been 2 listings for the AR5025. One's asking $4500. The other...$5k.

    And on used...it's pretty common to see prices for user-grade pieces that match those for collector-grade pieces, from dealers with superb reputations. Or are only 10-15% less, when they should be much, much less. Sellers are looking for buyers who don't know the market, and there's more of them out there than smart buyers, in any given category.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

    Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

  6. #5
    Member Watches503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oakdale, CA
    Posts
    5,856

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    Get the ball rolling with 41 pct under asking price ?

    His counteroffer probably means "don't waste my time."

    I would've declined offer without a counter cus your offer isn't worthy of continuing negotiations.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    timefleas, karlito, Abacab and 2 others like this.
    Instagram: @divers_mainly

  7. #6
    Member maylebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,600

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    Quote Originally Posted by Watches503 View Post
    Get the ball rolling with 41 pct under asking price ?

    His counteroffer probably means "don't waste my time."

    I would've declined offer without a counter cus your offer isn't worthy of continuing negotiations.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



    Yep, when someone reduces their price by less than 1% it's likely more a message than a counter offer. Also I hope your thread title "wasting MY time on eBay" is a reference to you hanging out killing time on a lazy Sunday rather than a suggestion that the seller is culpable in some way of wasting YOUR time. I do wish you luck in the search for the watch though.
    Watches503 and timefleas like this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    Quote Originally Posted by maylebox View Post
    Yep, when someone reduces their price by less than 1% it's likely more a message than a counter offer. Also I hope your thread title "wasting MY time on eBay" is a reference to you hanging out killing time on a lazy Sunday rather than a suggestion that the seller is culpable in some way of wasting YOUR time. I do wish you luck in the search for the watch though.
    I think you are in the wrong here a bit. Just counting the percentage off isn't the whole picture. On a watch with a retail price of $140, 25% off would make the watch $105. A lot of guys, myself included would be tempted to just buy new and spend the extra $35. Now if you were talking about a $4000 dollar watch with 25% off, that would be $1,000 off. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that for a lot of us, spending an extra $35 to get new isn't a deal breaker, but to spend an extra $1,000 is certainly something to consider regarding out budgets. That's why I opened the bidding with $75 and to be honest I wanted to pay $99 for it. Maybe I should have just put that out from the start, but I think I still would have gotten a response of $128/ $1 off, and like I said, $12 buys me brand new.
    sefrcoko likes this.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    323

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    I actually concur with the OP on this issue. I find trying to buy anything on eBay a waste of time short of buying a wood block. At best I find the item is not exactly as described but not worth sending it back or outright been burned on items such as watches or computers.

    I find sellers having an overrated sense of value-case in point. Was liking at a specific type of Hamilton watch -piping rock-manufactured in the 1920's. 19j. Usually 14k cases-selling for $1800-2200 or thereabouts.
    Some basic research shows that these watches are generally valued at $1100 by the auction houses.
    As to the actual cost to the seller -who knows what he acquired it for-maybe for that price and turning it over for whatever reason or off the back of a truck.

    For the time wasted I'd rather spend the extra $15. For a $4k can't offer any advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Member Cobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney Oz
    Posts
    12,887

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    I cant see what the problem is?



  11. #10
    Member CellestinoHernendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Wasting my time on Ebay...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling Moss View Post
    I think you are in the wrong here a bit. Just counting the percentage off isn't the whole picture. On a watch with a retail price of $140, 25% off would make the watch $105. A lot of guys, myself included would be tempted to just buy new and spend the extra $35. Now if you were talking about a $4000 dollar watch with 25% off, that would be $1,000 off. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that for a lot of us, spending an extra $35 to get new isn't a deal breaker, but to spend an extra $1,000 is certainly something to consider regarding out budgets. That's why I opened the bidding with $75 and to be honest I wanted to pay $99 for it. Maybe I should have just put that out from the start, but I think I still would have gotten a response of $128/ $1 off, and like I said, $12 buys me brand new.
    So many assumptions.. why not just offer $99 and see what happens. I guarantee you’ve wasted more time here than you did on eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pandybelly and Racman like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 25
      Last Post: February 13th, 2010, 18:17
    2. Replies: 7
      Last Post: January 23rd, 2010, 18:42
    3. Replies: 27
      Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 16:08

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •