WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch Advice: Small stainless steel square/rectangular men's dress watch

3K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  Calumets 
#1 ·
Hi All

I am in search of a small to medium sized stainless steel square/rectangular men's dress watch and wanted to ask for some help with recommendations.

Honestly I love the Cartier Tank Solo due to its slim profile and sleek lines, but having trouble justifying the USD 2500 price tag for a quartz watch (maybe I'm thinking about it wrong though and it's not such a horrible value after all)? I looked at the XL on YouTube, but it looks too big for me.

I was also looking at the JLC Reverso which I do like, but part of me feels like if I am going to buy a JLC I should get a Master so I can see the automatic movement in the back and appreciate it (I have a lot of respect for this brand). I also feel like the Reversos run a little bit thicker which isn't a deal breaker, but I do prefer the slimmer profile of the Tank Solo.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a high luxury brand watch. To scratch the itch, I actually purchased a cheap quartz watch from target.com from a brand called Peugeot. It looks ok, but one thing I can't stand is it has a seconds hand that makes an audible tick which can be quite irritating (my wife has actually complained to me when I wear it because she says she can hear it from across the room).

Just an aside, but I wish middle range brands had more to offer in this space. I actually happen to think that Mido is an extremely underrated watch manufacturer (I recently gifted a 36mm rose gold Baroncelli to my wife and was quite impressed with it myself). However, I didn't see much offered in the product range. I was also looking at Baume et Mercier and Fredrique Constant.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Brian

See less See more
#6 ·
Christopher Ward Slimline Square. Out of production, but I am sure could be found.

#9 · (Edited)
Great timing, this one is literally fresh out the box to wrist:

Wrist Watch Arm Hand Finger

I'm going to do a separate review/unboxing on this one in the Affordable forum.

$150 shipped from Amazon for a Chinese auto of this build quality and fit/finish, I am VERY impressed so far. Definitely scratches the itch for a Nomos Tetra. My wrist is 6.25 inches so it appears big on me but should fit more like a true dress watch on guys with bigger wrists.

EDIT - here's my review to anyone interested https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/feic...-unboxing-many-pics-4790059.html#post47019865

Reactions: pantagruel
#17 ·
Great timing, this one is literally fresh out the box to wrist:

View attachment 13480265

I'm going to do a separate review/unboxing on this one in the Affordable forum.

$150 shipped from Amazon for a Chinese auto of this build quality and fit/finish, I am VERY impressed so far. Definitely scratches the itch for a Nomos Tetra. My wrist is 6.25 inches so it appears big on me but should fit more like a true dress watch on guys with bigger wrists.

EDIT - here's my review to anyone interested https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/feic...-unboxing-many-pics-4790059.html#post47019865
This Feice still treating you well? I do like the look and reviews of this watch.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Plenty of brands to pick from, but my choice would be the GP Vintage 1945. Used, it can be had for less than $2,000 and is a very nice watch. Quite a bit nicer than a quartz Cartier. They were built in numerous versions and a few sizes. Seems like I see non-complicated models for $1,500+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.