Watch Around - magazine

Thread: Watch Around - magazine

Watch Around - magazine

I went to Barnes & Noble this morning looking for some reading material. I'm not a huge fan of most of the current selections - way too much "lifestyle" stuff and too many watches that are beyond the reach of the average person.

The last issue of "WatchTime" was enjoyable having said this - more on watches that are affordable, a little technical content, etc. The "Omega" extra was excellent also.

I noticed, after digging around a little, a magazine called "watch around" which had at the top, "Authenic swiss watchmaking". At $9, it's a little on the expensive side but a quick glance seemed to indicate it was more than the typical, 250 pages of content with 80% advertising.

In fact, it's only about 85 pages and a quick count seems to indicate about 21 pages of advertising. The focus is on aspects of the Swiss watch industry which may be a little limited to some of you all.

From their webpage:

Yet another watch-industry magazine?
    Open it up… watch around is sure to astonish you – by its understatement. This magazine has decided to champion authentic Swiss watchmaking. And quite literally so. With the craft and its jobs threatened by fakes, watch around explores Swiss horology, products made in Switzerland by exceptionally skilled men and women.
    Watchmaking has never been in such good shape? True enough, and yet the sector remains vulnerable: the famous Swiss Made label is getting bogged down in convoluted twist and turns that are hard to follow; production capacities are stretched to bursting point; after-sales service is facing serious problems due to the explosion of production; there is a serious lack of qualified personnel… watch around intends to address all these issues in a critical and yet sympathetic way.

Check it out - unfortunately, it's only published 3x a year and this is only issue number 6 but it seems to fit the bill for my needs - a little technical content, a little news, a fair amount of history, etc. Maybe I'll subscribe to this one.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Re: Watch Around - magazine

Thanks for the heads up Gerry, I'll check it out.
    The bursting "production capacities" problem mentioned in the blurb is rapidly easing I'm sure.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Damn it! whats with the $9 magazines! i mean not even cigar or ferrari enthusiasts pay that much for their mags! i personally think its evil for them to sell a amag that costs the same to make as "hot rod" but still charge 7 times as much!

And how come no one has a watch mag for the 80% of watch collectors that dont own a private island or are on theire thenth platinum tourbillon? sorry for ranting, but i think a watch mag that focuses on watches less than $3k would sell much better. sign me up.

and yeah i did buy the last issue of watchtime, with the sweet omega mag that came with it. i was also pleased with the amount of more affordable watches in it. friggin sweet mag, but so darn pricey!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    The last issue of "WatchTime" was enjoyable having said this - more on watches that are affordable, a little technical content, etc.
    As I understand it, this change was due, at least in part, to readers sending letters to the editor complaining about too much focus on watches that are completely out of reach for the majority of enthusiasts. So our voices have been heard!

I actually do like reading about the high-end stuff, but would like to see more of a mix with affordable pieces as well. Anyway, I'll have to check out a copy of this Watch Around. I also agree with Polaco23, and have always questioned why watch mags are so expensive.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post
    As I understand it, this change was due, at least in part, to readers sending letters to the editor complaining about too much focus on watches that are completely out of reach for the majority of enthusiasts. So our voices have been heard!

I actually do like reading about the high-end stuff, but would like to see more of a mix with affordable pieces as well. Anyway, I'll have to check out a copy of this Watch Around. I also agree with Polaco23, and have always questioned why watch mags are so expensive.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Let me know what you think. Personally, I'd rather pay a few more $$ for content and forgo the extra 100-pages of advertisements. The subscription rate cuts the price to $7 per - that doesn't seem be to unreasonable for a magazine that's fairly focused & out-of-the-mainstream.

As an alternative for those who think that $9 is outrageous, there's always People Magazine.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

yeah the last WatchTime issue was pretty nice and a little more "relative" for my tastes. It's nice to look at all the out of reach watches, but after a while, it gets old looking at watches for $30K!
    Thanks for the link...I will have to check it out.
    The wife got me a subscription to Watch Time for Christmas this year...A little price break!
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

It's nice that B&N has some comfy chairs around. That's where I bring a $9 magazine I don't intend to buy. I curl up and read what I want. I know some people would say that's wrong, but that's what the chairs are there for. I do buy WatchTime, InSynch, and IW each month, so I'm not ripping off B&N.

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Nice write up Gerry.
    I bought the magazine from Borders in Phoenix and read it on the plane ride to Prague. It has nice articles but I prefer watch reviews so I read Watch time as well.

Cheers,
    Bhanu

Quote Originally Posted by hotnerd View Post
    Nice write up Gerry.
    I bought the magazine from Borders in Phoenix and read it on the plane ride to Prague. It has nice articles but I prefer watch reviews so I read Watch time as well.

Cheers,
    Bhanu
    I suspect that like you, I'll continue to read both. I sent a note to the editor of WA and had a very nice reply to a couple of suggestion that I made. Hope you had an enjoyable trip -=
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by hotnerd View Post
    Nice write up Gerry.

Cheers,
    Bhanu
    I suspect that like you, I'll continue to read both. I sent a note to the editor of WA and had a very nice reply to a couple of suggestion that I made.

Hope you had an enjoyable trip - couple of watch magazine, dinner, a little wine, lights out, breakfast, land early and on your way to the first appt in Prague.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Thread Information