Is a watch with an automatic mov't an inconsiderate gift for a non-WIS friend?

View Poll Results: Does a watch with an automatic movement make for an inconvenient gift?

Voters
32. This poll is closed
  • Quartz only

6 18.75%
  • Automatic is fine

24 75.00%
  • I've got z better idea

2 6.25%
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is a watch with an automatic mov't an inconsiderate gift for a non-WIS friend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is a watch with an automatic mov't an inconsiderate gift for a non-WIS friend?

But I'm thinking for when my best friend from college graduates law school in a year I'll get him a real nice watch. He's not into them like me, which is why I figure I'll get him something conservative and simple that he can wear for anything, but is nevertheless very well made: Swiss Made.

So this kind of puts me into the realm where brands offer automatic movements. But for a non WIS, would serving an automatic watch include a side of confusion and inconvenience. he'd have to deal with :

1 Service cost, in a few years it would be a nasty surprise at like $500
    2 Winding down, don't wear it enough constantly set it
    3 Accuracy, he's not used to normal time keeping variations, which can be noticeable

Would you restrict yourself to giving quartz?
    What do you think?

Or, if there's a lawyer in the house, what's a gift you would have wanted/found useful as a new lawyer? (and don't say money for student loans, he's on a full scholarship to the Ivy league, he wasn't on the short bus wearing a helmet like me was).
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Re: Is a watch with an automatic mov't an inconsiderate gift for a non-WIS friend?

I think it's totally cool to give an automatic, but of course you would have to explain why it's cool, a little about what to expect and how to use it, and he would have to be the kind of person who would be capable of appreciating the mechanical wonder. I think there are lots of people who could be into watches with just a little bit of education.
    WnS likes this.
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

WnS

Re: Is a watch with an automatic mov't an inconsiderate gift for a non-WIS friend?

He sounds more than intelligent enough to handle an automatic watch. Besides, many lawyers wear Rolexes - the new ones are all automatics. The other lawyers might snigger at him behind his back if he wears a quartz.
    I'm content with my watch collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I dont think so at all, like another has said most lawyers wear fine automatics anyways... In regards to servicing costs, I'm sure if he's an Ivy educated lawyer a few hundred bucks down the road is not going to deal a detrimental blow to his finances.

Its a nice idea, and I'm sure he'll love it, hell, maybe owning a fine automatic will turn him into a WIS?

As a newly minted lawyer who's rocking an auto, I think your friend would appreciate such a gift, especially as he's about to enter into professional working life and people will respect this kind of thing more. It's great to have a quartz watch when you're a student. When you're in the working world, it's time to have a man's watch.

If you think he might be interested enough to buy one for himself someday, by all means. If he's a young guy he'll probably think it's very cool. Those of us who grew up with them might have a different view. For instance I'd far rather have a manual wind or an Eco-Drive than an automatic.
    Lord Monocle likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    He sounds more than intelligent enough to handle an automatic watch. Besides, many lawyers wear Rolexes - the new ones are all automatics. The other lawyers might snigger at him behind his back if he wears a quartz.
    This is a good point, though what had always gotten me was giving someone the gift along with the added service costs down the line. He didn't consciously go out and buy it like other lawyers. But I guess I'm dwelling on that a bit too much. Plenty of people, including lawyers, wear automatic watches.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by Fordham-NY View Post
    This is a good point, though what had always gotten me was giving someone the gift along with the added service costs down the line. He didn't consciously go out and buy it like other lawyers. But I guess I'm dwelling on that a bit too much. Plenty of people, including lawyers, wear automatic watches.
    I see your point about the service costs. If it's really concerning then get him a non-watch present, like a voucher for suit shop (and drop in a complimentary watch catalogue).
    I'm content with my watch collection

It sounds like a wonderful gift to me. He doesn't actually have to service it, only if he wants to enjoy it past the first 5-10 years. Then it will be entirely up to him whether he services it or not.

Get him a Movado and he'll snob it up with the rest of the Rolex wearers. Heck, even a Citizen would do the trick.
    Current Collection:
    Omega - Planet Ocean 2500
    Steinhart - Ocean 1 Vintage Red
    Stowa
    -
    Antea KS Small Second
    Tag Heuer - Carrera Twin Time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information