Which watch is better as Christmas gift?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By M. Montaigne

Thread: Which watch is better as Christmas gift?

Which watch is better as Christmas gift?

Hi,all guys, Christmas is coming,now i am looking for a watch for my hubby.
    Now i have two choices,i am not sure which one is better.so come here and ask for your advice.
    Bulova 96B133 Watch Champlain Precisionist Mens

Momo Design Pilot Watch

Second one has a big save,but first one's style is better,i think.

Share your opinion with me,thanks in advance.

Banned

Re: Which watch is better as Christmas gift?

Quite honestly, neither of them seem particularly appealing. While the Bulova is probably the lesser of the two evils, they're both unfortunate choices. Have you considered a GQ gift subscription?
    Perseus likes this.

Banned

Joanne, you do recognize that these are fundamentally different, do you? One is a $400 three-hand quartz watch (with a very good quartz movement), the other is a $1300 chronograph (has a stopwatch function) most likely with the mechanical/auto Valjoux 7750 movement. Don't bother about the advertised savings. Those are fake. Nobody in his right mind would pay $3k for that watch. But $1300 for a V7750 in a titanium case are decent. Since the Accutron VX200 diver is not anymore, the cheapest you can find a 7750 in a steel case is about $7-800. Titanium will naturally be more expensive.

The Bulova is also VERY big. If your husband doesn't have 8" wrists it will most likely not look great. You can get the Bulova in an US mall. The Momo will be harder to find. They are in a totally different class.

The Bulova Precisionist is supposed to be accurate to 10s per year. Some report even better accuracy but some also report worse. They start at $168 at Amazon. Certainly a good deal for that kind of watch.

Now if you are willing to spend $1300 on the other hand and you can give us some criteria to work with what he likes, what you would like for him and what kinda guy he is, we will be able to give you MUCH better suggestions.

At the $1300 price point you can already get some serious watches. Tissot, Mido, Junghans, Damasko, Oris, Longines. They all come to mind.

Then at the $5-600 price point there are also some good candidates like Seiko, Citizen, Mido, Steinhart.

The designs will be more classic but the quality and reputation of the watches will be better than with the two suggested above.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Of those two I'd recommend the Bulova, but you should try and find out if he has a preference for mechanical watches. If he loves mechanicals, no quartz will satisfy. The Bulova looks cool and has a superb movement for its price point. Check it out in the mall and you can get a feel for size.

Check out some citizens while you're there. A lot of good men's watches in this price range from citizen, many f which have more complex feature rich movements than the Bulova, as well as being solar powered.

Banned

Not to mention that the Citizen Eco-Drive will basically have zero maintenance cost. The Bulova will need a new battery every three years or so. The auto chronograph will need a service every seven years that will cost easily $500-700. You have to know that kind of thing before you buy such a watch. It's good you asked us.

Banned

Joanne, you still there? Hope you didn't get scared. But we had to be frank so as to not let you run into an open knife, as it were. Look at the suggestions made, discard what you have looked at so far, at least for the moment. If you still want to get any of those, know that there is worse, but that those certainly aren't the best way to spend one's money.

Momo? The company that makes the steering wheels for riced out Mitsubishi Eclipses?

Get the Bulova. But it's a huge watch, hope your guy has substantial wrists.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Thread Information