Watch Budget - how did you decide? Relative to your income?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Watch Budget - how did you decide? Relative to your income?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch Budget - how did you decide? Relative to your income?

Recent convert to the idea that a high-end watch might be for me - I have been obsessing over the craftsmanship, history, aesthetics of these models.

A few years ago, this would've sounded ridiculous to me -$6,000 for a wristwatch? What the heck for? That's twice what I paid for my first car - and, heck, half what I paid for the one I am driving now! I am not some ridiculous celebrity who wants to display wealth ostetatiously -- I am not wealthy!

But, I have been living a frugal lifestyle for quite some time. I am more comfortable now, than when I started, after some dumb money decisions in my early twenties.

All of those money advice books say I ought to save more for retirement, build up some kind of brokerage account that will somehow earn a mythical 8-10% return, become a millionare by 60! Right.

That all sounds awfully dull. Delayed gratification only goes so far.

I am 30, no children. I wear a Seiko 5 auto that I bought for $65 two years ago.

The ridiculous amount I have considered spending amounts to one months' bonus. It would mean, for that month, that I spent more than I took in, but it is not as though this is something I have ALWAYS wanted, been saving for for YEARS, etc.

So. What's your story? How'd you arrive at your number?

Re: Watch Budget - how did you decide? Relative to your income?

The number I arrived at was easy, it was one.

And the reason, I wanted one.

I don't really have a number but my next buy which I am saving for will probably equal about a months gross salary.
    Rolex Explorer 214270, Doxa Sub 1200t professional, Tag Heuer Formula 1, Seiko SBBN015 Tuna, Seiko modded 6309, Citizen Ecozilla, Casio G-Shock GW 5000

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't have a number. I never buy that expensive of watches. Interestingly enough, I find more sub $2000 tickle my fancy than $2000+. So thats good.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

I´m in the same boat, have some money invested in stock market, but am seriously considering taking some out in order to buy a nice timepiece (or two). At least you can enjoy the watches unlike bytes and if I buy smartly, the watch will retain some of it´s value. Yeah, life´s short, why wait?

The number I arrived at was the following. Income less: all household expenses, any credit cards paid in full, money invested and saved, maintenance and repairs equals fun money. Fun money can be used for vacations, cruises, watches, dinner out, jewelery, new sports equipment, etc. Setting a dollar amount or percentage of income to spend on watches could end up redirecting money from more important uses.

For me I save till I have money as a resource. And, I am always looking at watches; I know they are not all for me but looking is good. When I see something I just have to go after the hunt for my best deal begins; and so does the fun. Sometimes I look for a long time, sometimes it jumps out at me right away. My decision is always based upon the going rate for that piece and what I may get it for. I never think in terms of how much I make or anything like that; after all, I've saved up for it from my income. I also never go in debt or spend the rent on a piece: this is taboo. It is always my "extra/mad" money that pays for the watch.
    Another thing, said a different way above, don't buy price buy what hits a chord in your heart/eyes. And, don't be surprised when you see your taste shifting from Pilot to Diver, to plain, to whatever: that's all part of it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I'm at such an early stage of collecting that I've been sticking to strictly affordable watches (the most expensive one MSRP wise is my Casio Edifice M1100, though I got it for half price). I fully expect to go into higher end stuff in the future, but it will be such an emotionally charged investment that I need to think about it for a long time. Also, it'll be important to set some kind of an annual budget, otherwise it will be easy to find yourself in a situation where you've spent Seamaster money on a pile of assorted watches you won't value nearly as much.
    440saw likes this.

thats interesting to see the results. there is no formula in my opinion. its all bs if someone says "spend 10 percent of this or 25 perecent of that" they are full of crap. the opportunity cost is different for everyone.
    *Orient Blue Ray EM6500CD Automatic*
    *Vostok Amphibian 420059 Automatic*
    *Bulova 98B127 Marine Star Quartz*

IF YOU HAVE A COOL DIY WATCH BOX PLEASE PM ME!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information