Watch Buying/Where to Shop
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Watch Buying/Where to Shop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch Buying/Where to Shop

Hey WUS,

Curious as to where you all buy/bought your watches and where you would recommend shopping and recommend staying away from.

Re: Watch Buying/Where to Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Storm1211 View Post
    Hey WUS,

Curious as to where you all buy/bought your watches and where you would recommend shopping and recommend staying away from.
    I think the answers to these questions will depend a lot on what watches you’re talking about (what brands, general price bracket, etc).

It depends on a lot of things. For more expensive watches I tend to use ADs (only broke this rule once and boy did I regret it). For more affordable watches I will use grey market dealers in the knowledge that if there was a problem no way would they get to repair it. Browse the forums a bit to get an idea who the main players are in the sellers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

New? Used? Both?
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I buy my watches anywhere they are sold at a price I agree with.

Vague questions warrant vague answers.
    Egsise and MrCairo like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    It depends on a lot of things. For more expensive watches I tend to use ADs (only broke this rule once and boy did I regret it). For more affordable watches I will use grey market dealers in the knowledge that if there was a problem no way would they get to repair it. Browse the forums a bit to get an idea who the main players are in the sellers.
    not sure I entirely agree with this on more expensive watches—I’ve gone the gray market route for higher dollar watches, just requires you to know who you’re dealing with, and obviously a higher level of diligence.

If they sell the watch you want, I'm a big fan of Topper Jewelers in CA, a forum sponsor here. Rob is the best.

They also have great pricing on pre owned, check out their site. And no, I do not work for them!

On the retail side I have used Bernardwatch.com for many years but you have to remember that they are at the retail price level. Once I had a problem with a watch I bought for my wife and they stepped up and did the right thing without any hassle. Bernard basically deals in superior quality pre-owned.

On the other side, I am a big fan , if you're buying per-owned, of this site. I have bought a number of watches here and it's always been a pleasure.

on a personal basis, I've purchased from,
    - eBay, private seller
    - eBay, private dealer
    - chrono24, private dealer
    - online, dealer

Also purchased from reseller, private dealers (business purchases)
    All have gone well (transactions wise, though I do have some purchase regrets and mistakes), and I hope (knock on wood) it will continue to be so (minus the mistakes)

I would have no problem purchasing from anyone (AD, grey market, pre-own shops, private dealer, seller, etc)

For me, it boils down to a balance of trust and price (I can trust the seller, within my budget).

My last purchase was from Arnold Jewelers with Ben Wade. He's known for his good reputation and came recommended, I paid via wire, transaction went without a hitch, was very happy and I would (and did) recommend him.

Buy the seller (as often heard here). A good, reputable seller will not want to harm/mar his/her reputation.
    But do your due diligence as well (know the product, ask questions, don't assume anything)

as for the "staying away from" part ... hmmm ... I don't want to make a general sweeping statement - it wouldn't be fair to the good, honest ones, but there are some places/regions that I would be weary of, or would pay extra attention to ... or just not care if it's a franken/redial.

My "stay away" perhaps wouldn't be about a seller or a shop but from our own bad practice;
    - rushing your decision or impulse buying
    - deals way too good to be true (I say "way too good" because there are good deals to be had out there)
    - too enamored by hyped-up ads/deals

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information