Watch - Car Comparisons. Does it work for you?
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Watch - Car Comparisons. Does it work for you?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Rolling eyes Watch - Car Comparisons. Does it work for you?

Dammit, I just saw someone's post making this awful equivocation. Again.

This comparison we see so much of here on WUS drives me batty, for being so incompatible on just about every level.

A badly made car can significantly increase the chances of your dying, while a high grade one can significantly reduce them. It's that simple.
    Nobody dies, or gets mangled, from wearing a badly made watch.

The difference between a poorly made - or even a cool "vintage" car - and a well-made one actually affects your chances of survival. No watch does that. A set of good tires is NOT like a nice rubber strap.

As for "luxury"? Fit and finish? As long as watch does not pinch or dig into your wrist, you're not likely to notice its presence for any negative reason.

A car with a much higher grade of material & finish will most definitely affect how your body feels after driving on a long trip, to say nothing of safety.

But a watch? It ticks, tells you the time.
    The pleasure is entirely in your head, not in your body.

It would actually be far more accurate to compare watches to other accessories: ties, pens, keyboard, etc.

A car is NOT an accessory. People often confound these two totally incompatible categories, just because watch and car both fall under "machines."

But that would be like saying that a chicken is like a man because they are both upright standing bipedal animals.
    Nope, not enough to establish a working category.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; January 1st, 2016 at 15:43.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: Awful and annoying: Watch - Car Comparisons

I'm not a fan of them. It has nothing to do with what you say though, as a car fan my peeve is that comparisons made with cars are usually off the mark (ie the car is referenced wrongly).

To give you an example, think about the internal 'hand on forehead head shake' you have when someone you're trying to discuss watches with who doesn't have much of a clue references Rolex? I do the same when cars get wrongly referenced/compared.
    Chronopolis likes this.

................................................Beyond the Black Stump

Name:  sku_235950_3.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  38.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry but I must disagree. Cars and watches are very similar as there are basic models that serve all practical purposes and luxury models that add little but cost much more due to marketing and prestige. Your argument that more expensive cars are safer or more comfortable is just wrong. Look at crash test scores and you find many affordable models that outperform luxury cars.

For cars and watches performance is a large point of contention for enthusiasts but in reality makes little difference. A watch that runs +15 as opposed to +1.5 won't have much impact on the wearer's life.

Now I enjoy cars and luxury cars and drive an Audi...I enjoy watches and own a few Omegas, a Breitling, and a few Tags...but I don't fool myself in either case. There are less expensive alternatives that would fulfill the functions of these devices just as well...I bought these items because I appreciated their styling or craftsmanship. Sometimes I feel foolish for doing so.

Cheers,
    NM

Quote Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
    Your argument that more expensive cars are safer or more comfortable is just wrong. Look at crash test scores and you find many affordable models that outperform luxury cars.
    Cheers,
    NM
    I did not use that word. I explicitly said 'higher grade' in terms of materials and "finish" (e.g., engineering).

My point was, higher grade materials etc do not have the same consequences in a watch in terms of something like, oh, surviving.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

He's an angry elf...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    luecack likes this.

I'm new to watch forums but not new to watches.

I'm not new to bicycle, photography, guitar and ukulele forums.

They are are all the same. "Let me compare 2 things by comparing something else..."

Watches are like women, they are both objects. *Runs away* Just joking, just joking, please don't flame me. Let's try again. Watches are like women, in that both are beautiful and I want to do naughty things with them. But like cars, you can get yourself killed with women (spousal support, child payments, all the bitching) , but watches don't get you killed for the most part. But I agree, poor quality cars get you killed, poor quality watches just get one no points on WUS and makes my heart die just a little inside, but I'm okay, seriously I'm okay. (Just joking, no offense meant to anyone.)
    Last edited by rdoder; January 1st, 2016 at 16:19. Reason: "One" instead of "you", depersonalized

I think you're suggesting throwing the baby out with the bath water here.

Just because there are major differences doesn't mean the comparison can't be useful. There are similarities too, and usually the comparison aren't along the lines of "this is like a Ferrari versus a Hyundai in every single way you can think of!" It's usually more an illustration of a particular point that people may be able to relate to better if they're not familiar with the watches (or point about them) being referenced.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    I did not use that word. I explicitly said 'higher grade' in terms of materials and "finish" (e.g., engineering).

My point was, higher grade materials etc do not have the same consequences in a watch in terms of something like, oh, surviving.
    Chronopolis, I tend to enjoy your threads for their thought provoking nature. It is also clear that you start these threads with deliberately respectful language. Cheers

As watch enthusiasts we share a certain understanding and tolerance of one another's watch related interests. I believe many of us also endure a measure of misunderstanding or intolerance outside the forum from those who do not share our interest. Such is the case for many (any) passion but particularly those involving investment in things that have a practical and impractical value. Just as a non watch person looks at watches from a literal practical perspective and thus disagrees with my $2000 uptick in price to own a mechanical RESCO, a non car person can object to comparisons that focus on the car's non practical side.

I drive a luxury sports car and I own a practical reliable sedan. The sports car is not about getting from A to B, nor is safety much of a consideration. The engine is hand made by 1 man and there were only 100 similar cars imported to America that year. I don't choose to compare my car to my watches, but within a forum environment populated by many far more affluent people than me, I find the small commonality my car affords me to be a comfort.

People start threads for many reasons...often to enjoy a feeling of belonging or commonality with this broadly varied forum community. Others seek to dispel frustration when post comparisons seem incongruous. We can choose to assert our own criteria or explore a different way of looking at things.

Cars are, like watches, functional art in the eyes of some....and tools that have life and death implications to others. Scotches, Cigars, Pets, even firearms interests are equated in some manner with watches on the forum. Diversity will always account for strange forum perspectives. I for one enjoy that journey.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information