a watch for a chef

Thread: a watch for a chef

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    rtl

a watch for a chef

What do you guys think? the most reliable, accurate, and durable watch you can think of for under $200 for a chef to use in a kitchen.

i was thinking of the G Shock GW-9010-1 but i cant find it anywhere..

Re: a watch for a chef

Hmm... It has to be shock resistant as it would not get destroyed when he does his frying, really water resistant, not like the over-optimistic Swiss rating where 30m means "splash resistant", but the Russian rating where 200m means a real 200m. A watch he can see the time at a glance amidst the steam, and when dirty, can be cleaned in a bowl of soapy water and an old toothbrush. I also think specially treated waterproof leather strap would be better than bracelet as it would not rattle too much as he moves, and also better than rubber as it would not feel icky when he perspires.

Vostok Amfibia Reef, US$196 including shipping.

lvt

I don't think leather strap is a good idea for the kitchen, unless the strap is treated to be waterproof.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea if that watch is any good but I like your story. And you could take the dial out and change the 'r' to a 'b'.

Would it help for a chef to have a timer on the watch? Then maybe a chrono is necessary. Or would that be a mess to move the chrono buttons with dirty hands....

I'd suggest something non-digital because I think it's easier to tell at a glance what time it is or how much time has elapsed (roughly) by glancing at hands rather than trying to interpret a digital readout. One of the reasons the Amfibia is a good choice (other than if you need a timer).

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    I don't think leather strap is a good idea for the kitchen, unless the strap is treated to be waterproof.
    The Amfibia (and the classic series "Amphibia") leather strap is indeed specially treated to be waterproof.

Seems to be that a clean diver on a stainless bracelet would be ideal. The bracelet would be cooler and would be much better with food grime as you could wash it in soapy hot water. A dive bezel would also be useful for timing things. Screw in crown would be more food gunk resistant (technical term). Chrono would be nice to time things, but the buttons might be gunked up.

Edit: I notice on Top Chef that folks there often wear cool watches. Must be a chef thing.........
    Last edited by dnslater; February 22nd, 2010 at 15:38.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I was going to suggest all the watches Gordon Ramsay wore on his shows (e.g. Rolex Yachtmaster, Asprey, Breitling etc.), but those are all above the $200 budget .

If you are looking for:
    reliable, accurate, and durable
    For $200, I'd say G-Shock. You can get one like the GS1100-1A or the more classic #GWM5600A-3. Heck there's so many G-Shock models there's bound to be one you like. They're fairly cheap, next to impossible to destroy and the atomic ones are perfectly accurate.

I do cooking where time keeping is necessary, i tried chronos , too much work to stop reset and go.

I prefer using dive watch with uni or bi directional rotating bezel. The easier to grip the bezel the better.

also, metal bracelet is better choice when handling food.
    KOBOLD x 4, ROLEX , Corum, concord im

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Having worked in a kitchen before I would say that leather is a no simply from a hygiene perspective - bacteria in the nooks and crannies, cleaning, etc. I would go for a resin or metal strap, easy to clean and sterilize.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information