WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch Collecting/Horology Books

709 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  U5512 
#1 ·
My dad introduced me to the watch world with a Coke GMT, and now that he's created a monster, I want to learn more about this disease that I've contacted. Can anyone recommend any good/interesting/fun books on watch collecting and/or horology that don't read like a college textbook? Thanks!

#2 ·
It's focused on one brand, but I enjoyed reading James Dowling's The best of time - Rolex An unauthorized history. He writes well, his enthusiasm shines through, and the pictures are comprehensive, if amateurishly taken. It's quite expensive though.

#4 ·
Dare I say, Rolex themself put out a magazine that might as well be a book. Very impressive for free and even if they charged for it. I only have one copy of the first issue from about a year and a half ago. It was basically about the Daytona. I bet there are more issues on the other popular Rolex models, if you would like to learn more about them.

#5 ·
Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman is a fantastic read. Admittedly, it is more existential than horological-each chapter delves into a different one of Albert Einstein's dreams, revealing interesting philosophies about our relationship with time. Although it might not give the technical detail that a Rolex magazine might, I can't think of any other piece of time-oriented literature that will provoke thought and spur an interest like this novel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.