WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch Collecting on a Student Budget

6K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  G.A.R.Y 
#1 ·
From forum posts, I know a lot of watch enthusiasts are students. I would like to hear about your experiences on this insane hobby on a student budget. I know I messed up my budget this year since first starting this hobby. To be honest I'm scared of doing some accounting on my current financial situation :-( I blame my enabling roommates that incidentally introduced me to this hobby...l

Reactions: Stiletto666
#3 ·
I wasn't collecting when I was in university. If I think about how much I spent partying, I could have a had a few decent watches. But I had more fun partying than any watch could deliver.

You collect watches any stage of your life. But the university party lifestyle is only available once. I would stick with what you've got, and go and enjoy life.

#4 ·
Hmm... my experience is really not too exciting at all. I joined the forum almost a year ago and only bought my first watch about 2 weeks ago. Granted I already had 3 given to me, but 1 watch/year is probably quite below average around these parts.
My advice would be to look at really expensive brands that you would have no chance of purchasing, that way you can't blow your cash :-d. That's what I do and all I've treated myself to is this little Seiko: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=385545. The JDM Seikos are quite nice and if you need a (relatively) cheap fix, that one I bought was about $375 after all was said and done. However, as you said you already blew your budget, get looking at those Pateks and JLCs! |>

#5 ·
not currently a student, but i've been there, and done that! prioritize my friend, the damage has been done so bear down and sacrifice what you must to place yourself on a more stable fiscal footing. there will be plenty of time for this hobby after you are through with the truly important matter of your education. remember, this is not the real world!

#6 · (Edited)
Look at my signature.

I own two watches, a Seiko Landmonster and a G-Shock for any activity involving sweat. For me, there's no point in collecting watches when I consider a $10 dinner to be too expensive. Plus, I'm going to school at mummy and daddy's expense so I devote my life to the things that really matter.
Sadly, after finding this forum, I spend a lot more time reading about watches and less time reading about kinesiology. We have about two or three weeks left until finals so buckle down and study, my friend.

#7 ·
Wellll, back then I was working alongside my education and made enough to fund some fairly nice watches. But in case you are on a real budget I'd suggest G-Shocks, other Casios, Seiko's, etc. or vintage watches. Some vintage watches with fairly respectable names can be dirt cheap. For example, there's some sub $200 Omega's etc. on eBay. Also if you enjoy doing some work on your watches, it can be fun to do.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have already said.

The first priority, obviously is financial stability. It might not seem like a big deal now, but 5, 10, 15 years down the road, student loans suck the big one. Never, EVER, place a hobby - especially something like watch collecting above being fiscally responsible - this is doubly true as a student. In other words, don't say yes to that massive student loan just so you can sport an Omega or Tag throughout 4 years of undergrad. It ain't worth it. If you do decide to work while going to school (I did in undergrad, and I pulled summer jobs in Law), put most of that money towards living costs and to mitigate how much you have to borrow for tuition, books, etc.

Second - you're in college or university. This is a time to have fun. This is a time to go out with friends, go on dates, relax, and enjoy life. You can't do that if every single spare nickle and dime is heading towards a watch fund. Like Charles Bronson said, you can only get away with living the University life style once. You can collect nice watches when you're punching in the 9 - 5 routine and longing for the sweet release of death. Right now, if I were you (and I once was), I say get out there, spend your free money having as much fun as possible (within acceptable, GPA maintaining limits).

Finally - watches are really, really cool. But it's still possible to enjoy the hobby without spending lots of money. Seiko for instance offers some wonderful automatics that are very reasonably priced - both dive and dress watches. If you really want to get a small collection started stick with watches that don't drain the account. More than that, though, spend your time learning about watches, learning about their history, their movements, what you like and why you like it. This way when you do graduate, get sentenced to the 9-5 gig and start making a real salary, you'll be really well placed to spend your money.

Reactions: ecthelion
#9 ·
I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have already said.

The first priority, obviously is financial stability. It might not seem like a big deal now, but 5, 10, 15 years down the road, student loans suck the big one. Never, EVER, place a hobby - especially something like watch collecting above being fiscally responsible - this is doubly true as a student. In other words, don't say yes to that massive student loan just so you can sport an Omega or Tag throughout 4 years of undergrad. It ain't worth it. If you do decide to work while going to school (I did in undergrad, and I pulled summer jobs in Law), put most of that money towards living costs and mitigate how much you have to borrow.

Second - you're in college or university. This is a time to have fun. This is a time to go out with friends, go on dates, relax, and enjoy life. You can't do that if every single spare nickle and dime is heading towards a watch fund. Like Charles Bronson said, you can only get away with living the University life style once. You can collect nice watches when you're punching in the 9 - 5 routine and longing for the sweet release of death. Right now, if I were you (and I once was), I say get out there, spend your free money having as much fun as possible (within acceptable, GPA maintaining limits).

Finally - watches are really, really cool. But it's still possible to enjoy the hobby without spending lots of money. Seiko for instance offers some wonderful automatics that are very reasonably priced - both dive and dress watches. If you really want to get a small collection started stick with watches that don't drain the account. More than that, though, spend your time learning about watches, learning about their history, their movements, what you like and why you like it. This way when you do graduate, get sentenced to the 9-5 gig and start making a real salary, you'll be really well placed to spend your money.
Words to live by! :-!

#12 ·
I would start by getting a Seiko SKX007, some G-shocks, and other classics that are great values. Then you'll discover it's a slippery slope as you fall into the $250-$350 "sweet spot" and before long you'll purchase a >$500 watch as I did, but subsequently sell it because you wonder what the hell you were doing. Just live a little if you can afford it. I have a stable job lined up and lots of money in loans anyway, so what's a thousand or two in watches that will last me a lifetime.

#14 ·
I have a stable job lined up and lots of money in loans anyway, so what's a thousand or two in watches that will last me a lifetime.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, it's that extra $50 - $100 you have to pay per month that comes out of your budget. That money is especially difficult to lose when you're just starting out, your salary is still low, and you've gone a lot of other expenses to deal with.

That's a huge hassel. That's money that could be going to paying down your essential debts more quickly, it's money that could be used for an after work beer with coworkers, or it's money that could go into a retirement savings / investments (and make no mistake about it, it's important to start saving for retirement as soon as you start working).

#13 ·
+1 What everyone has said on this thread.

School will be over before you know it and then the $$ will come. As an undergrad I made no money and racked up credit debt. It took me three years to fix that, and only now am I enjoy buying watches. So don't do that. Pay off those f^($ing cards as soon as you can. Buckle down, persevere, getting that grail will be that much sweeter when it's the right time.

#16 ·
Ah, the glory years - what I would do to be back ;-)

When I was in school I had a Nautica "diver" and a Timex. Both very affordable watches that I was happy with, but I had no idea what I was in for eight years down the road :-s

Some very good advice in this thread - and I agree. You will have time for watches after you graduate and have a job. You are in a once in a lifetime experience. For now, enjoy the college life, and spend funds on having fun :-!

#17 ·
I would think being a student today is like being retired....except you have to study as well as have no money. :-d
Collect something fun and cheap like Vintage or Russian watches or maybe HMT. They all have a cool factor.
As a student I had a Timex electric. Didn't ruin me for life as I recall. :-!

#18 ·
Here is a tip.

Aim REALLY high on the money that you would like to get. (nice Dressy JLC, Nice sporty Rolex, etc.. Something that cost more than $5k)

Get a small part time job and save and save and save (should not be too hard considering that your parents are paying for your tuition - Just make sure that your saving effort for your watch does not make the parents' investment in you go to waste).

By the time that you have enough money to get the watch of your dreams, 1 of 3 things will happen,
1. you will get the watch and be very happy.
2. You will change your mind and set your goal even higher.
3. You will decide that all those effort in saving should not go to waste on an expensive time piece and change your mind.

Either way, it will be a very good experience and you will end up with good chunk of money or something that will really make you happy.

Good luck!

#20 ·
Here is a tip.

Aim REALLY high on the money that you would like to get. (nice Dressy JLC, Nice sporty Rolex, etc.. Something that cost more than $5k)

Get a small part time job and save and save and save (should not be too hard considering that your parents are paying for your tuition - Just make sure that your saving effort for your watch does not make the parents' investment in you go to waste).

By the time that you have enough money to get the watch of your dreams, 1 of 3 things will happen,
1. you will get the watch and be very happy.
2. You will change your mind and set your goal even higher.
3. You will decide that all those effort in saving should not go to waste on an expensive time piece and change your mind.

Either way, it will be a very good experience and you will end up with good chunk of money or something that will really make you happy.

Good luck!
Or get married, have kids, and...marriage is great, really.;-)

#21 ·
Funny thing was back then I didn't even have an urge for high end watches even though my first high school watch was a goldtone Seiko and then followed by a cheap Casio ana-digi! I wore that Casio to death and then some. Wished I still had it today~Cheers! ;-)

#24 ·
Mr. Plow. I'd give all of my watches to relive a few spring weeks in the uni-bar. The cheap living, no responsibilities, my vintage money-pit of a BMW that I detailed twice a week, the seemingly endless parade of healthy women, discount beer.

Forget watches. Billiards is a young man's game.
+4 :-! Endless....parades....of.....Healthy....experimental.....women

#29 ·
I'm pretty much waiting till I start making money before i begin really collecting. I have a nice Citizen Eco-drive that I enjoy right now. Maybe when I graduate my parents might get me a Hammy or a Stowa, but after Law School...then I will be making money. Right now I content myself with getting books on wristwatches and drooling over the pictures.

#30 ·
Grad student here, which don't fare much better than the 10 dollar dinners described by others, but at least that means i'm on a payroll (however meager it is). I can attest to the pains of lusting over others' large collection of watches and the itch to buy what you really can't and shouldn't afford, but i agree with the others in that watch collection should not be high on the list of priorities.

For now, it's spending spare time making watch straps for my one and only, reading up on watch tech and news on the forums, and working that much harder at part time jobs and my studies to save up for my next watch

#31 ·
Thanks for all your advices, I think the way is clear to what I should do about this itch I have for buying watches. Prioritize basically everything first and see what`s left for watches. Time to figure out my budget for the next semester. I truly want this to become a long term hobby for me, so I really should not be so impatient about buying watches. In the mean time, time to lust over the beautiful pictures of watches shown here in this forum.

#32 · (Edited)
If you are going to plant a garden, do you poor hundreds of bags of salt in the ground and work it in the soil first?

In your youth, you are on baron ground, and the decisions you make now, will vastly point to your future. Living beyond your means now, will make it almost impossible to achieve success later in life.

A watch collection for you, now, is bags of salt at your feet and you are entering your growing season.

Get books on how wealthy people make millions of dollars, and after you make it, then, you can start your watch collection. imho

A very old man used to walk into a pawn shop and try out shavers everyday. Used shavers, back when pawn shops bought and sold about everything, back when most everything was quality made, and we did not live in a disposable economy.

I saw this old haggard looking man shaving at the counter. He told the owner of the shop, he would think about it, and left the store. The pawn broker told me that was one of the richest men in the city, and he stopped in three times a week for his free shave. That is taking it to the other extreme. Once you make some money, take one percent and go buy yourself a new watch (and shaver)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.