Watch Collecting on a Student Budget
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Watch Collecting on a Student Budget

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch Collecting on a Student Budget

From forum posts, I know a lot of watch enthusiasts are students. I would like to hear about your experiences on this insane hobby on a student budget. I know I messed up my budget this year since first starting this hobby. To be honest I'm scared of doing some accounting on my current financial situation I blame my enabling roommates that incidentally introduced me to this hobby...l
    Stiletto666 likes this.
    Current Collection
    Swiss: Rolex Subarmariner 14060, Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 w/ Mitsukoshi Dial, Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo Ref. 2458422, Longines Legend Diver L3.774.4.50.6
    German: Stowa Flieger Klassik (Old Logo, No Date), Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente Ref. 164
    Japanese: Casio Mudman, G-Shock

Ozy

Re: Watch Collecting on a Student Budget

If I were you, I'd collect Ramen noodle packets...being a student, you've got bigger priorities, like eating, and personal grooming. get yourself the best watch you can afford, and really just stick to living.

Banned

I wasn't collecting when I was in university. If I think about how much I spent partying, I could have a had a few decent watches. But I had more fun partying than any watch could deliver.

You collect watches any stage of your life. But the university party lifestyle is only available once. I would stick with what you've got, and go and enjoy life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmm... my experience is really not too exciting at all. I joined the forum almost a year ago and only bought my first watch about 2 weeks ago. Granted I already had 3 given to me, but 1 watch/year is probably quite below average around these parts.
    My advice would be to look at really expensive brands that you would have no chance of purchasing, that way you can't blow your cash . That's what I do and all I've treated myself to is this little Seiko: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=385545. The JDM Seikos are quite nice and if you need a (relatively) cheap fix, that one I bought was about $375 after all was said and done. However, as you said you already blew your budget, get looking at those Pateks and JLCs!

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow25 View Post
    From forum posts, I know a lot of watch enthusiasts are students. I would like to hear about your experiences on this insane hobby on a student budget. I know I messed up my budget this year since first starting this hobby. To be honest I'm scared of doing some accounting on my current financial situation I blame my enabling roommates that incidentally introduced me to this hobby...l
    not currently a student, but i've been there, and done that! prioritize my friend, the damage has been done so bear down and sacrifice what you must to place yourself on a more stable fiscal footing. there will be plenty of time for this hobby after you are through with the truly important matter of your education. remember, this is not the real world!
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Look at my signature.

I own two watches, a Seiko Landmonster and a G-Shock for any activity involving sweat. For me, there's no point in collecting watches when I consider a $10 dinner to be too expensive. Plus, I'm going to school at mummy and daddy's expense so I devote my life to the things that really matter.
    Sadly, after finding this forum, I spend a lot more time reading about watches and less time reading about kinesiology. We have about two or three weeks left until finals so buckle down and study, my friend.
    Last edited by AndrewSo; April 15th, 2010 at 20:51.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Wellll, back then I was working alongside my education and made enough to fund some fairly nice watches. But in case you are on a real budget I'd suggest G-Shocks, other Casios, Seiko's, etc. or vintage watches. Some vintage watches with fairly respectable names can be dirt cheap. For example, there's some sub $200 Omega's etc. on eBay. Also if you enjoy doing some work on your watches, it can be fun to do.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have already said.

The first priority, obviously is financial stability. It might not seem like a big deal now, but 5, 10, 15 years down the road, student loans suck the big one. Never, EVER, place a hobby - especially something like watch collecting above being fiscally responsible - this is doubly true as a student. In other words, don't say yes to that massive student loan just so you can sport an Omega or Tag throughout 4 years of undergrad. It ain't worth it. If you do decide to work while going to school (I did in undergrad, and I pulled summer jobs in Law), put most of that money towards living costs and to mitigate how much you have to borrow for tuition, books, etc.

Second - you're in college or university. This is a time to have fun. This is a time to go out with friends, go on dates, relax, and enjoy life. You can't do that if every single spare nickle and dime is heading towards a watch fund. Like Charles Bronson said, you can only get away with living the University life style once. You can collect nice watches when you're punching in the 9 - 5 routine and longing for the sweet release of death. Right now, if I were you (and I once was), I say get out there, spend your free money having as much fun as possible (within acceptable, GPA maintaining limits).

Finally - watches are really, really cool. But it's still possible to enjoy the hobby without spending lots of money. Seiko for instance offers some wonderful automatics that are very reasonably priced - both dive and dress watches. If you really want to get a small collection started stick with watches that don't drain the account. More than that, though, spend your time learning about watches, learning about their history, their movements, what you like and why you like it. This way when you do graduate, get sentenced to the 9-5 gig and start making a real salary, you'll be really well placed to spend your money.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; April 15th, 2010 at 18:17.
    ecthelion likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

v76

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have already said.

The first priority, obviously is financial stability. It might not seem like a big deal now, but 5, 10, 15 years down the road, student loans suck the big one. Never, EVER, place a hobby - especially something like watch collecting above being fiscally responsible - this is doubly true as a student. In other words, don't say yes to that massive student loan just so you can sport an Omega or Tag throughout 4 years of undergrad. It ain't worth it. If you do decide to work while going to school (I did in undergrad, and I pulled summer jobs in Law), put most of that money towards living costs and mitigate how much you have to borrow.

Second - you're in college or university. This is a time to have fun. This is a time to go out with friends, go on dates, relax, and enjoy life. You can't do that if every single spare nickle and dime is heading towards a watch fund. Like Charles Bronson said, you can only get away with living the University life style once. You can collect nice watches when you're punching in the 9 - 5 routine and longing for the sweet release of death. Right now, if I were you (and I once was), I say get out there, spend your free money having as much fun as possible (within acceptable, GPA maintaining limits).

Finally - watches are really, really cool. But it's still possible to enjoy the hobby without spending lots of money. Seiko for instance offers some wonderful automatics that are very reasonably priced - both dive and dress watches. If you really want to get a small collection started stick with watches that don't drain the account. More than that, though, spend your time learning about watches, learning about their history, their movements, what you like and why you like it. This way when you do graduate, get sentenced to the 9-5 gig and start making a real salary, you'll be really well placed to spend your money.
    Words to live by!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Words to live by!
    Thanks man! Re-reading what I wrote, I realized I'm beginning to sound like an old fuddy-duddy. But, in retrospect, I think it makes sense. People tend to underestimate how big of an impact your financial choices in college can make later on in life. It's easy to get loans, it's easy to spend money - but good God can it ever sting years later.

Plus I firmly believe that the biggest things to take from college (aside from the sheepskin) are the experiences and the memories. You can learn a lot about yourself and the world... as long as you don't cloister yourself away when you're not in class.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information