Watch collecting through taxonomy

Thread: Watch collecting through taxonomy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch collecting through taxonomy

Let me explain what I mean.

As one of the advocates of the "collect a bunch of different watches" philosophy rather than the "own one grail watch" approach, I find that my collection has grown to a satisfying (normal-crazy but arguably not yet WIS-crazy) size. I have likes and dislikes, of course, but my collection is fairly broad in scope and spans quite a few different "genres". I visit the different fora here and everyone's very excited about domed hesalite or radio synchronization or ceramic bezel inserts and it's hard not to get swept up in it.

Because of this diversity of taste, I've found that in determining what to buy next or which watch to keep and which to sell, I've started deciding this based on a sort of classification game. If I can justify that a watch holds a unique place of function in my collection, it stays. If I find that there's some unspoiled frontier yet to be explored, I'll go out in search of a new acquisition. Obviously, I lack the sheer will (or I guess "spouse") to enforce a strict numerical ceiling.

It all started out straightforward enough: I don't have a black-banded dress watch for my friend's wedding. I need a beater watch. Everyone's got at least one diver in their collection, right?

Since those humbler days, I've started jumping through increasingly convoluted hoops to convince myself that there's some important niche yet left unfilled: Of course! I've got an auto chrono, but now I obviously need a hand-wind one. The system doesn't work as well as it used to, but things are still alot of fun. Right now, I'm looking for a split-color 24-hour bezel GMT diver (I wish the green-and-silver Bernhardt Globemasters were still available). Maybe something vintage after that.

I wonder: is this a common methodology? How do you guys pick what comes next or what watch ends up on forum 29?

I'll assume that most on this forum have a fairly broad taste when it comes to watches. But do you guys just pick what looks good at the moment, without much consideration for distinctness of function?

Unlike at least some here, I don't think I'd want to own multiple copies of the same watch or two different watches that are too similar. Similarity is a fairly subjective metric, granted. I just mean that I don't think I'll be one of those collectors who'll own Speedmaster models 3570, 3572, and 3573 all at the same time. And after purchasing an Ocean7 LM-1, I'm much less inclined to pick up an LM-6 or even a Dwatch or Benrus, having fulfilled that "chunky diver" niche.

Here's the current family snapshot with some (mostly whimsical) classifications to justify each piece's ownership.

Re: Watch collecting through taxonomy

I started collecting with a very similar line of reasoning. It first started simply enough; solar, ABC, automatic, manual, 24hr. I then started collecting watches with unique features such as a flash light, heart rate monitor, speedometer, etc. Then the criteria became increasingly specific, i.e. retrograde chronograph, 1,000th of a second chronograph, chronograph with subdials which operate in a different manner, etc. etc. I began to realize that the more watches I bought, the more specific the unique features became and that I could perpetually come up with unique features. So, I decided to stop buying watches just because it filled some "need" and have decided to only buy watches I will truly enjoy (not that I didn't enjoy those watches as well). For example, I recently bought a pedometer watch since I didn't have one, but I returned it after realizing that I didn't like the way it looked, and that I can't look at the watch while walking without throwing off the measurement. Am I still looking for watches with unique features? Sure. But I no longer buy a watch just because I don't have a watch with XYZ features.

I suppose I am trying to warn you that the path you tread is a slippery slope and as someone who had taken the road, I suggest that you may want to just buy what you like without trying to justify it, as you can always "justify" it by coming up with increasingly specific features. I noticed you already have a "For those more-than-200-meter-but-less-than-300-meter-desk-dives". I'm sure it was joke, but you get my point.

Nice collection BTW.
    Last edited by TNT13; April 2nd, 2010 at 17:24.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Banned

Like those categories in your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Obviously, I lack the sheer will (or I guess "spouse") to enforce a strict numerical ceiling.
    "(or I guess 'spouse')" - funny!

I wish the green-and-silver Bernhardt Globemasters were still available)
    Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...obemaster.html

Maybe something vintage after that.
    DEFINITELY something vintage - but I'm a bit biased.

How do you guys pick what comes next or what watch ends up on forum?
    Ouija board or Magic 8 Ball, whichever is handy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Good god man! <twitch> Center your <twitch> <twitch> Bezels before <twitch> taking pictures of <twitch> <twitch> your watches! <twitch>
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Good recommendation .... but I bought that one .... keep looking, it's a nice watch!

Nice collection.... I like to have several, I have often thought of getting rid of em all and getting one really nice one or two or three or ... you know what ....They are all nice ones

I use a very similar system for my collection. I try to get features and types of watches I do not have in my collections, but also watches for certain situations. Though I find as I keep collecting I start to split hairs when it comes to features/complications, and I start to come up with less than frequent types of situations that would require a certain type of watch.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Woah, *all* of the bezels are off-center. Even the speedy chronograph is not at zero!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Good god man! <twitch> Center your <twitch> <twitch> Bezels before <twitch> taking pictures of <twitch> <twitch> your watches! <twitch>
    I think NT13's advice is pretty apt. But I guess that the fact is that having a multitude of features is a key part of my watch-enjoyment. I guess when these categories get so specific or convoluted that this is no longer true, I should re-evaluate. I at least only get watches that I'm happy to wear. The G-shock might be an exception, since its size and shape make it look even sillier on my wrist than the Ocean7. But that 1/10 second hand on the 5-motor module is just so damn cool.
    Oh, that's terrible timing on the globemaster, but definitely thanks for the heads-up, ulackfocus!
    Last edited by ASRSPR; April 2nd, 2010 at 20:09.

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Woah, *all* of the bezels are off-center. Even the speedy chronograph is not at zero!
    Yeah <twitch> I noticed!
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

v76

You should get the Zenith El Primero Striking 10th (Foudroyante) for an attractive 1/10th seconds counter capable watch, you can dump the G-Shock then
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information